Monday, September 14, 2020

Laying The Odds For This Year's Emmys: Epilogue: Writing, Directing et al

 

I don’t normally add to this part to my work – I’ve always considering my judgment better when it came to performances rather than individual episodes – but for a change I’m going to guess what the Emmys will do for writing and directing in all three major categories, and for guest actor and actress. I’m not going to bother to lay the odds. I’m just going to give my personal preferences.

 

COMEDY

I’m willing to be, given the ostentatious production numbers and movement involved, that direction should go to one of the episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I give the edge to ‘It’s Comedy or Cabbage’ by an inch.

For Best Comedy Writing,  despite the possibility it go to something for What We Do In The Shadows, I’m going to really cross my fingers and hope they go for the final episode of The Good Place, which was brilliant humorously, dramatically, and philosophically. Not even Schitt’s Creek could pull that off.

For Guest Actor, much as I’d like to see Luke Kirby repeat for his fine work on Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I think it’ll go to one of the hosts of SNL. And really, it should go to Eddie Murphy, who demonstrated once again that he’s still the King. For Guest Actress, I think it’ll go to Maya Rudolph, and I’m hoping its for The Good Place rather than SNL. Though really, it’s a good group.

 

DRAMA

For Directing, my preference is for one of the episodes of The Crown, preferably Aberfan, which showed the true depths of the direction. As for Writing, I’d really like it to go to ‘Bad Choice Road’, the magnificent penultimate episode of Better Call Saul.. I’m a realist on this one. It’ll probably go to the finale of Succession, which if you’ve finished reading these blogs was a masterpiece.

For Guest Actor in A Drama, I’d like to see it go Jason Bateman for his exceptional work on The Outsider, but I think it’ll more likely go to Andrew Scott or Ron Cephas Jones, neither of which I object too. The overwhelming presumptive favorite for Guest Actrss is the incredible Cicely Tyson for How To Get Away with Murder, and it’s really hard to arge she isn’t due something. My personal preference would be for Phylicia Rashad, who really should’ve won last year..

 

MOVIE/LIMITED SERIES

I don’t think even Dr. Manhattan could stop the writers of ‘This Extraordinary Being for winning for Watchmen, certainly for Writing. As for Direction, they might win here, but it’s just as likely it’ll be for ‘It’s Summer and We’re Running Out of Ice.” As for TV Movie, it’s a battle between Bad Education and El Camino. I give the barest of edges to the latter. They’ve got to recognize Braking Bad for something this year.

 

See you next week.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment