Tuesday, January 19, 2021

My Reactions to the 2020 Critics Choice TV Nominations: Part 1, Drama

 

As I mention every year, one of my favorite awards shows of all time are the Broadcast Critics. Ever since they began specializing in TV nominations back in 2010, they have done a superb job recognizing a lot of the series that so frequently the Emmys fail to acknowledge. They have acknowledged brilliant series like Justified, Masters of Sex, The Good Fight, The Americans in Drama and exceptional comedies like Mom, GLOW, Jane the Virgin, Master of None  and in their most brilliant foreshadowing, Schitt’s Creek.

These nominations are often more satisfying because they tend to recognize the more obscure cable and streaming series, as well as far more attention to network shows. And they often have great foresight – acknowledging series like Breaking Bad and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel before the Emmys do. Furthermore, with a different calendar than the Emmys, they are more likely to acknowledge a lot of shows that the Emmys might unjustly ignore.

Here are my reactions to the nominations, starting as always with Drama.

 

OUTSTANDING DRAMA

For once, almost no complaints. Better Call Saul, Perry Mason, Lovecraft County and This is Us more than deserve to be here. The Crown continues its brilliant streak here, and its good to see Ozark making the list last. The Good Fight continues its hot streak here.

Am I a little perturbed to see The Mandalorian here instead of say, Billions? Yeah, but I’m willing to give them some leeway. There’s always one nomination that’s a bit quirky.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES

Bob Odenkirk and Sterling K. Brown have more than proven their worth, and I’ve overjoyed to see Matthew Rhys here for his exceptional work as Perry Mason. Jonathan Majors’ work as Atticus was dazzling in Lovecraft County and I’m glad to see Jason Bateman back in the ranks. I have no problem with Josh O’Connor being nominated for The Crown; I just question him being nominated as a lead rather than supporting. Still, a good bunch.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES

Olivia Colman more than deserves to be here, and so does Emma Corrin. I’m glad Christine Baranski is getting recognition for her work on The Good Fight, and I’m always glad to see Laura Linney nominated for anything. Claire Danes got the recognition the Emmys refused to give her for her final season of Homeland, and Jurnee Smollett’s work as Leticia on Lovecraft County was next level. Would I have liked to see Juliet Rylance nominated for Perry Mason? Sure, but we can’t have everything.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA.

They’re already doing better than last year’s Emmys. They acknowledged Jonathan Banks and Justin Hartley who were shafted for their work last year. Michael K. Williams always deserves to be recognized, and there were even more depths to his work as Tic’s father in Lovecraft County then we usually get. Tobias Menzies is always superb as Philip on The Crown. While I’d rather have seen Shea Whigham nominated, I can’t really argue with John Lithgow’s fine work on Perry Mason.

Is Tom Pelphrey’s nomination for Ozark a little bit like overkill? I’d rather have seen Mandy Patinkin or Giancarlo Esposito here. Still, they’re doing fine.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

They recognized Rhea Seehorn. Thank you critics. Julia Garner has won two Emmys, so it would be crazy to ignore her for her work on Ozark. Gillian Anderson continues what will surely be a march towards an Emmy this year. Wunmi Mosaku’s work on Lovecraft County as the sister trying to break free of Jim Crow was exceptional, even though she spent a lot of it in another person’s body. Cynthia Erivo was shafted of an Emmy nomination for her great work in the now-cancelled The Outsider, so I’m glad she was nominated, even I do think the show should’ve been regarded as a limited series.

I love Janet McTeer, but it does strike me that it’s a little bit of overkill to give her a supporting nomination that would be better served for Susan Kalechi Watson or Tatiana Maslany. But I’ll give them a little latitude.

 

Wow. Almost no complaints. I never say that about most nominations. I will tomorrow when I deal with the comedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment