Tuesday, December 21, 2021

My Reactions To This Year's Golden Globes TV Nominations (Sigh)

 

It was my intention to just ignore the Golden Globes this year. They’re almost certainly not going to be broadcast on any service (three weeks to go and counting) and their truly dickish move of announcing they planned to give their awards on the same day as the Critics’ Choice didn’t endear to me any more.

But I am a completist of sorts and despite they’ve ever done in their history I feel a sense of obligation to go over my opinions of their nominations in television. That said I’m not going to give them the same coverage I do usually. Instead, for each category I will simply compare and contrast with the Critics Choice nominations to see if they did anything that corresponded with them and therefore might give us a hint as how the Emmys will do things and see if there are any nominations that seem like outliers. For the record though, I’m not going to try and predict the winners and on January 9th, no matter what, I will be watching the Broadcast Critics. So here I go (heaves sigh)

 

BEST DRAMA

 Well Succession, Pose and Squid Game correspond with the Critics though I’ll admit it’s something of a surprise the latter is here. Lupin was considered Best Foreign show and really, The Morning Show is another one of those quirks that doesn’t make them look good.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA

Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong, Billy Porter and Lee Jung-Jae are hardly surprises – against they’re copying the Critics Choice. I guess they’re trying to be impressive with Omar Sy being here for Lupin. Ignoring Sterling Brown doesn’t help you guys.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

I give them credit for MJ Rodriguez and Uzo Aduba and a little more for Christine Baranski for The Good Fight, not because she doesn’t deserve it but because the Globes have basically ignored her for the past four years (and seven before that if you count The Good Wife which they gave a lot of recognition too) Still, better late than never, I guess?  Jennifer Aniston is an old habit, and Elisabeth Moss is just plain laziness. Not really proving you’re doing a better job

 

BEST COMEDY

Essentially a cut and paste from the Broadcast Critics. The only real surprise in the increasingly new devotion to The Great. Does that mean I now have to watch this series or were they just too lazy to nominate black-ish again

 

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Well, at least they’re acknowledging Anthony Anderson’s superb work. Beyond this, it’s more or less a cut and paste from the Broadcast critics. Nothing wrong with any of their choices really, though I’m still questioning the validity of Nicholas Hoult in this category.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

I guess they’re finally acknowledging that, for all intents and purposes Hannah Einbinder is a co-lead in Hacks. Though whether this will divide any real hope Jean Smart has of winning for this category is beyond me. Issa Rae and Tracee Ellis Ross are good. I’m just a little disappointed that there’s no room for Selena Gomez.

 

BEST LIMITED SERIES, ANTHOLOGY SERIES OR TV MOVIE

Okay, I have to at least give the Golden Globes credit for acknowledging the existence of Impeachment, something the Broadcast Critics refused to do. And you can’t argue with Maid, Mare of Easttown or The Underground Railroad.  Dopesick like Maid now seems like a sure Emmy contender. At least the Globes are a little more focused on the season to come.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES, ANTHOLOGY OR TV MOVIE

Again, the Globes get credit for acknowledging Oscar Isaac’s work in Scenes from a Marriage which the Broadcast Critics ignored. Michael Keaton now seems like a sure Emmy contender and Paul Bettany was inevitably going to be nominated for Wandavision.

I’m honestly not sure whether Ewan McGregor’s nomination for Halston is a step forward of backward. And I’d never heard of Tahar Rahim or The Serpent until I saw the nomination. In that sense, the HFPA’s tradition of making bizarre nods has not changed,

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES, ANTHOLOGY OR TV MOVIE.

All right, I’ll be honest. This is a better selection of nominees than the Broadcast Critics did. Kate Winslet, Elisabeth Olsen, Cynthia Erivo and Margaret Qualley more than deserve to be here and I’m strongly in favor of Jessica Chastain being part of this group than any of the alternatives we got from the Broadcast Critics. Would I have liked to see Beanie Feldstein or Sarah Paulson here? Sure but it’s a smaller category.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

At least they’re acknowledging how broad a net they have. That said, still a weird group.

Billy Crudup has a certain following for The Morning Show. Brett Goldstein deserves to be here for Ted Lasso. And I know I’m arguing against the tide for Kieran Culkin and all things Succession.

The other two choices? I’m genuinely uncertain. Did O Yeong-Su deserve to be nominated for Squid Game more than Clive Owen for Impeachment or Murray Bartlett for The White Lotus? I have no idea. Both of them definitely deserved to be nominated more than Mark Duplass for The Morning Show, but I’ve always been a fan of the Duplass brothers in general and am always glad when one of them gets nominated for anything. (Still, I’d rather have seen Jay nominated for The Chair.) This is always a weird bunch.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Same problems. Too large a net, not enough nominees.

Hannah Waddingham and Jennifer Coolidge more than deserve to be here. And after just one episode of Maid, I’m convinced that the Broadcast Critics did Andie MacDowell a huge injustice by not nominating her. Kaitlyn Dever also looks like she’s a sure bet for Supporting Actress for Dopesick. And no one who isn’t a fan of Succession would have a problem with Sarah Snook being here.

Word of advice for the Golden Globes, you want to have people consider you serious: consider separating out the Supporting Acting categories a little. They’ve been one of your more obvious bugbears for as long as I’ve been watching. This would be a minor step in the right direction.

 

Like I said, I’m going to be watching the Broadcast Critics on January 9th. I won’t even try to pick what the Golden Globes will do. I won’t pretend I won’t care a little who wins – if for no other reason that they have seemed to be a foreshadowing of the year to come at times – but as far as I’m concerned, they’ve still got a lot of work to do. I won’t deny there are some interesting choices here, but I don’t really think they represent the institutional progress you have to make before you regain acceptance – if you can.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment