Friday, July 15, 2022

Hurray For Hollywood (Critics Association) Conclusion: TV Movie/Limited Series Broadcast and Cable et al

I won’t bother to hide how enormously pleased I am with the lion’s share of the nominees for Best Limited Series in Broadcast and Cable, especially because I’m very certain that, with few exceptions, most will be ignored entirely by the Emmys in two days.  I mean sure, am I disappointed that Landscapers was entirely ignored and The First Lady virtually was? No question. But considering how much love the HCA was willing to show to Impeachment and Gaslit – and to a lesser extent, The Thing about Pam – it would be very petty of me to split hairs. Some nominated series always get left out no matter how many nominees are allowed into the category. It’s the way awards show work.

So now, I’ll go over my reactions to the Limited Series nominees as well as some of the remaining categories I haven’t gotten too yet.

 

BEST BROADCAST NETWORK OR CABLE LIMITED SERIES.

Really, it is petty of me to bemoan that they couldn’t find room for the series I listed considering what was nominated. The White Lotus more than earned it, and I’ve been advocating for Impeachment and Gaslit for weeks. I’m thrilled to see Scenes from a Marriage here, and I’m overjoyed that after decades of being ignored by awards groups, a David Simon helmed police drama has gotten recognition with We Own This City. Hell, I won’t even complain about Miracle Workers here instead of The Thing about Pam.  Comedy miniseries almost never get nominated for anything; they’re rarely even tried.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A BROADCAST NETWORK OR CABLE LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE

I can’t argue with any of these either. Oscar Isaac and Ben Foster are certain Emmy nominees. I might quibble with Sean Penn being listed as a Best Actor for Gaslit, but he deserves to be nominated. Bill Pullman has been short-changed by the Emmys for four seasons, so I’m glad he was recognized for The Sinner in its final year. Jon Bernthal has been being shortchanged by the Emmys for the while, so he earned his nod for We Own This City.

Am I little upset that Harry Potter managed to take a nomination away from Remus Lupin? (Daniel Radcliffe was nominated for Miracle Workers instead of David Thewlis for Landscapers.) A bit.  But in fairness to Radcliffe, he’s been being ignored longer than Thewlis by awards. I’ll let the student outclass the teacher in this case.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A BROADCAST NETWORK OR CABLE LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE

I may have fewer notes her too. Jessica Chastain is an almost certain nominee for her work in Scenes from a Marriage and I think there may be enough momentum for Julia Roberts to get one for Gaslit. Michelle Pfeiffer was my personal choice among the three leads from The First Lady, and I pushed for Renee Zellweger for The Thing about Pam last week.  I’m glad to see any of the female leads from Impeachment nominated, and if I’m being honest Sarah Paulson’s work was by far the best of them.

I am slightly irked that Geraldine Viswanathan earned a nomination for Miracle Workers over say, Olivia Colman for Landscapers or Gillian Anderson for The First Lady, but I honestly didn’t expect the nominated leads to stay so close to my original selections.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A BROADCAST NETWORK OR CABLE LIMITED SERIES

No complaints.  Murray Bartlett more than deserves to be here, and I would have considered Steve Zahn had they’re been room for him. I had hoped that Dan Stevens would be chosen for Gaslit and I didn’t pick Josh Duhamel for The Thing about Pam only because there were so many other candidates. Josh Charles can never receive enough love from the Emmys and that he did so for a David Simon series is gravy.

Should I nitpick Steve Buscemi’s nomination for Miracle Workers? I suppose I could argue that Aaron Eckhart or Shea Whigham would have been provisionally better choices, but honestly Buscemi never gets enough credit for anything he does, certainly not as a comedian.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A BROACCAST NETWORK OR CABLE ANTHOLOGY SERIES

All right, there are two more nominees than I would have thought The White Lotus deserves.  I have no problem with Jennifer Coolidge and Connie Britton, really none with Alexandria Daddario and really my problem with Sydney Sweeney is with Euphoria not this series. I’m overjoyed that Betty Gilpin and Judy Greer were nominated, especially the latter.

 

As for writing and direction, no complaints. Scenes from a Marriage and Impeachment more than deserve it, and David Simon is notorious underrecognized by, well anybody. I’m also glad to see some network acknowledgement – The Thing about Pam for writing and Women of the Movement for directing. I’m also glad to see Barry Levinson here as well.

 

As for some of the rest, with the exception of Family Guy, all of the nominees for best network or cable animated series are more than worthy. My major problem with Broadcast or cable variety of comedy sketch show or late night is the presence of Bill Maher over Seth Meyers or Desus and Mero. And as someone who has been boosting Jeopardy every time he gets, I’m glad to see it in the ranks for Best Game Show for its primetime college championship this year. I hope that with more prime time appearance we get to see it in these ranks more and more often.

 

Well, in the next few weeks I will have the delightful opportunity to try and foresee who will end up being the winners when the HCA meets in about a month. I can tell you I will be far happier with the choices they make then with the Emmys the following month. I’ll be getting to that ship in my next article.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment