Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Critics Choice Nomination Part 2: Eomedies

Now, the comedies.

BEST COMEDY
Black-ish, Silicon Valley and Veep are among the funniest shows currently on the air, and it would be weird if they weren't nominated. Ditto Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  I have mixed points of view about Modern Family. Frankly, I would've been happier if Fresh off the Boat or Speechless had been nominated. Atlanta has been one of the higher praised series of the last few months, so I don't object.
The choice of Fleabag over Transparent strikes me as a little bizarre, considering how much it has dominated the awards the last two seasons. And I'd have been a little happier if Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or The Good Place had a spot, considering they'll probably need award recognition just to keep going.

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY
Anthony Anderson has been one of the more dominant figures in comedy the last few seasons, so I'm glad to see him here again. Jeffrey Tambor has won the last two Best Actors, so he should be here. Donald Glover is one of the funniest talents alive. And Will Forte's work on Last Man On Earth has been praiseworthy.
I'm a little less sure on the last two. Documentary Now! is a funny series, and Bill Hader has a wide array of role, but it's still a little strange to see him here. And Patrick Stewart is clearly having a lot of fun as he gets older, but I'm just not sure Blunt Talk is awardworthy. Couldn't they have found room for Andy Samberg somewhere?

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - I've run out of great things to say about her. Tracee Ellis Ross, a wondrous comic talent on a great show. Ellie Kemper has been fascinating to watch on Kimmy Schmidt, and Constance Wu is one of TV's greatest hidden talents. I'm a little surprised Kate McKinnon was promoted to Best Actress, considering she won Supporting Actress for her Emmy, but I can live with it?
I'm not certain whether Phoebe Waller-Bridge's work on Fleabag is nearly at the level of Patricia Heaton or Amy Schumer, or if its nearly at the work of Gina Rodriguez or Rachel Bloom. It just seems they should have a little more room for letting previous winners at least get nominated again.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY
Andre Braugher is a wondrous comic force. There's a sentence I'd never thought I'd write. Tony Hale is one of the great physical comedians of our time. Tituss Burgess seems to keep getting short changed by the Emmys. And T.J. Miller may have asked not to be nominated again, but he sure as hell deserves to be. I wasn't wild about the choice of Louie Anderson, but considering he won the Emmy this year, it might have been strange if he hadn't been nominated.
Ty Burrell is a great comedian, but I'd still rather have seen Jaime Camil or Jay Duplass recognized instead. Nothing's wrong with his choice, it just seems something of a step back.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY
Allison Janney and Judith Light are superb comic masters of the craft. Jane Krakowski should've gotten an Emmy nomination last time out. Anna Chlumsky  wasn't nearly as good on Veep as she was last season, but she was still hysterical. And I have a great admiration for Julie Bowen, even though I don't think as much for her series.
I'm a little surprised that Allison Williams was nominated for Girls, a series mostly ignored for last year's Emmys. I would much rather have seen Mayim Bialik or Eden Sher represented, even though they've won before. Still, I won't bitch that much.

BEST GUEST PERFORMER, COMEDY

It's always hard to differentiate the great performers on this series. My personal preference would be for Larry David for his superb work as Bernie Sanders, but I'd be just as delighted if Christine Baranski won for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment