Friday, July 14, 2017

Thoughts On This Year's Emmy Nods, Part 2

On to the comedies, which frankly, are a bit lazier than the dramas.

BEST COMEDY
black-ish is one of the great comedies of our time. Atlanta is a phenomenon, and has to be considered the favorite. Master of None is an experience unlike very few on any service. Silicon Valley is a pleasure. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt definitely has real talent.
Bu why is there still so much obsession about Veep, which frankly had a lesser season this year. And the obsession with Modern Family will never be truly remarkable, considering it is now, at best, the fourth best comedy on its network. Couldn't they have acknowledged Transparent or, dare I say it, Jane the Virgin?

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY
I really can't argue that much with any of the choices here. I publicly argued for five of them, and at least four are extraordinary performances? I think at this point, I have to give Baskets more consideration than I've been doing, particularly considering who potent Zach Galifianakis as a comic force is.

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY
Tracee Ellis Ross should be considered as the favorite in this category. I'm very grateful that Jane Fonda was acknowledged for her work on Grace and Frankie, as she's often been overshadowed by Lily Tomlin, who deservedly was nominated. I'm a little surprised that Allison Janney was finally promoted to a lead, which she really is on Mom. Elle Kemper is very good. And Pamela Adlon was a nice surprise.
I'm really getting frustrated with the Emmys obsession with Julia-Louis Dreyfus. She's a great actress, and Veep was a great series. Emphasis on was. If she had any sense, she'd do something Selina Meyer would never do, and take herself out of consideration.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY
This is where we start getting slippery. Tony Hale, like I said in my articles, I have no problems with his nomination. Titus Burgess, still very funny. Louie Anderson, won last year, it would be odd if he wasn't considered this year. Ty Burrell, it's getting a little repetitive, but he's still the funniest thing about that show.
Alec Baldwin - I'm of two minds. Yes, he appeared in practically every episode of SNL last year, but still it was as one character for five minutes. Is that really worthy of being Supporting Actor? At best, its a guest star like Tina Fey, when she did Sarah Palin? I fear he'll win, even though this is major mismanagement. I'm equally dismayed by Matt Walsh repeating - he's not even the funniest supporting actor on his series - Kevin Dunn or Gary Cole were much better on Veep this season.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY
This is where I call bullshit. Yes, I argued in favor of SNL getting a nominee in this category. One nominee. But three actresses? Even they'd probably have to admit its overkill. Kate McKinnon, I can see her being nominated again. It would've been wrong for them not to. Leslie Jones has a certain gusto in her Weekend Update segments that can be appealing. But Vanessa Bayer? She's been on the series for five years, and I still don't know what she does. Can we finally decide that sketch comedy deserves its own acting category?
Judith Light and Kathryn Hahn were excellent choices for Transparent, especially Hahn. But Anna Chlumsky's pick demonstrates a laziness I don't like. Jane Krakowski or Mayim Bialik would've been a better choice.

EPHEMERA

Nominating SNL hosts as Guest actors is really starting be excessive. Though I'm a big fan of Dave Chapelle, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Tom Hanks, only Miranda's performance was really worthy of a nomination. Hugh Laurie, though, deserved to get nominated for his performance on Veep. And Melissa McCarthy more than earned her nominated, as her portrayals of Sean Spicer were among the high points of SNL's season. Wanda Sykes is great on Blackish, and it's bittersweet to see the late Carrie Fisher nominated for Catastrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment