Thursday, December 6, 2018

Award Season Begins: Reactions to the Golden Globe Nominations, Part 1


Last year I praised to the skies how great a job the Golden Globes did in recognizing the best in television. This year, well… they returned to where they usually are, which is the more eccentric of all the awards series.
That isn’t to say there weren’t a lot of good choices, as well as some pleasant surprises. Considering that Stranger Things, The Crown, and Game of Thrones were ineligible, they did a generally good job in the drama category. And considering the overall tendency to remakes and reboots, they did fine when it came to comedies as well. Still, one wonders if the HFPA’s tendency to always honor new faces hasn’t work against them. It’s better than the Emmys which have the tendency to nominate the same faces year after year, but last year the Globes had managed perfect balance. This year, not so much. And its worth noting there are a lot of old faces in with the new.
But let’s go through the nominees.
 
BEST DRAMA
Excuse me. YES! YES! They finally nominated The Americans for Best Drama! And it’s actually the leader in nominations of Dramas! Best Day Ever! Ahem. In all seriousness, it’s hard to disguise my utter delight that one of the greatest series of all time finally got recognition from an organization that basically shut it out.
The other series are a mixed bag. Killing Eve was so well regarded by so many people that’s it earned its slot. And Homecoming had such good press it would’ve been hard to ignore it. But Pose? It was a good series, but not even the second best drama on its network. And I’m pretty sure Bodyguard was a limited series, though that may depend on ITV or Netflix. Still, couldn’t they have nominated Better Call Saul or This is Us?

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Matthew Rhys would’ve been hard pressed not to get nominated. Jason Bateman in Ozark earned his Emmy nod, so I’m glad he repeated. I can understand why they nominated Richard Madden for Body guard and possibly Stephen James. But really, Billy Porter for Pose? Couldn’t we have nominated  Sterling Brown or Bob Odenkirk or Ed Harris or any of a dozen other good choices?

            BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
            I don’t have any real problem with any of the nominees in this category. Russell, Oh and Roberts all earned it, Elisabeth Moss is one of my favorites, and Caitriona Balfe has earned her place here. I’d have liked to see Mandy Moore or Christine Baranski, but I gets that wishful thinking.

            BEST COMEDY
            I’m nearly as thrilled by The Good Place being here as I was that The Americans was for Best Drama. I’m also really glad they recognized Kidding for all its low ratings. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has already received ecstatic reviews, so I’m glad it’s here. And I really have to start watching Barry.
I’m a little uncertain amount The Kominsky Method. Great cast, decent reviews, I’m just not sure it’s at the level of Atlanta. And I’m pretty sure a lot of other people will feel the same way.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Donald Glover more than deserves to be here. I’m glad to see Jim Carrey here as well. He might actually have a chance at winning. Bill Hader was inevitable, and not a bad choice.
I have issues with the other two. Michael Douglas is a great actor, but even given his rich portrayals in the past, it’s hard to see him at their level. And I’m not sure whether Who is America is actually a comedy series in the traditional sense of the term, therefore I have questions about the legitimacy of Sasha Baron Cohen’s nomination. Or maybe I’m just angry Anthony Anderson and Ted Danson were ignored.

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
The Killer B’s assembled. Last year, I advocated for nominations for Kristen Bell, Allison Brie, Rachel Brosnahan and Rachel Bloom. Well, three of them are here. I really question Candice Bergen’s presence here, particularly since Murphy Brown the reboot was neither critically nor publicly enjoyed, but she has a history with the Golden Globes that is hard to ignore. As for Debra Messing’s nod, the Golden Globes have always had a thing for Will & Grace, and I guess they still do. Couldn’t they have nominated Tracee Ellis Ross or Issa Rae? Maybe I’m just shooting my mouth off.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment