Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Make The Critics Choice Your Choice: Part 2, The Comedies


BEST COMEDY SERIES
Atlanta is one of the best series of the year. So is The Good Place. Barry continues its remarkable run, and I have little doubt the second season of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is as wondrous as the first. And really, The Middle is one of those shows that a few years from now, the Emmys is going to look really foolish for having ignored.
One Day At a Time has been incredibly well received, even among Netflix series, and though I still think GLOW would’ve been a better choice, The Kominsky Method has deserved high praise. I’m not entirely sure if Schitt’s Creek is as funny as everyone says it is, but that’s why I like the Critic’s Choice.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Donald Glover more than deserves to be here. So do Ted Danson and Bill Hader. This is probably a valedictory nomination for Jim Parsons, and frankly, Andy Samberg has been getting robbed by the Emmys ever since Brooklyn Nine-Nine came on the air.
Michael Douglas – still a questionable choice, but if the Golden Globes are going to nominate him, I can’t really argue with. Hank Azaria has a very loyal fan base, but seriously Brockmire isn’t even the best comedy series on IFC. Couldn’t they nominate John C. McGinley for Stan Against Evil? Okay, we’ll let it go.

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Well, two of the killer B’s are here, and both Rachel’s Bloom and Brosnahan have more than earned their spots. Ditto Allison Janney, and I’m glad to see Issa Rae is here.
I still have questions about Debra Messing getting nominated for Will & Grace, but she had some good moments. Now, I’m always liked Justina Machado, as far back as Six Feet Under, and I’m glad they nominated her. But couldn’t they have found room for Tracee Ellis Ross or Alison Brie or Kirsten Bell? Seriously. They have six nominees for Comedy Actress but seven for Actor? Get the balance right, critics.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Its about forking time William Jackson Harper got recognized for his work on The Good Place. I have no problem with Tony Shalhoub, Henry Winkler, or Bryan Tyree Henry.
I’m glad Superstore was nominated for something, considering that its been a little comedy gem for three years with very few people noticing. And I can’t even really raise an objection to Sean Hayes, considering how much pull he’s had with awards voters in the past. Would I have liked to see Marc Maron here? Of course. But you can’t have everything.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
The most interesting conversation of the night is where will Laurie Metcalf sit? With her nominated group at The Conners, or with her daughter Zoe Perry at the Young Sheldon table? Considering Perry is essentially playing a younger version of her, full marks. And I’m glad to see Annie Potts, one of my favorites, back in the awards hunt.
I have no problem with Alex Borstein or Betty Gilpin, especially after last season. Rita Moreno remains a force of nature, and I’m glad to see her still in this category. I’m still not sure why Miriam Shor is here – if you’re going to nominate someone for Younger, why not Sutton Foster? You’ve done it before. I’d still rather have seen Eden Shor of Mayim Bialik back for one last possible taster.

We wrap it up with movies and limited series tomorrow.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment