Friday, December 20, 2019

My Reactions To Critics Choice Nominations: Part 2


BEST COMEDY

Little less happy.
Barry, Fleabag and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel all more than deserve to be here. Schitt’s Creek has more than earned its place the past year. Mom remains fabulous.
Pen13 and One Day at a Time are a little more problematic. Are they critically acclaimed series? Yes. But I have a hard time believing that they’re funnier or more imaginative than The Good Place (which received three other nominations) and Russian Doll which was completely shut out. This may be one of the rare occasions where I think they should’ve listened more to the Emmys than they usually do.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Ted Danson and Bill Hader have more than earned their place here. Eugene Levy is more than due. I guess I may have to give more credit to Paul Rudd and Ramy Youssef considering the Critics Choice nominated them as well as the Globes. Walton Goggins seems to genuinely be a Critics darling, but I’m glad to see he got recognized.
I guess we now know that somebody’s watching IFC and Sherman’s Showcase. Still, maybe they could’ve nominated Michael Douglas again.

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Rachel Brosnahan have more than earned their spots, as have Catherine O’Hara. I’m always glad to see them recognize Alison Brie for Glow, though they could’ve nominated the other killer ‘B’ (Kristen Bell) Kirsten Dunst has earned her spot. I’m not surprised to see Julia Louis-Dreyfus here, though I’m glad they held off for Veep.
Is Christina Applegate really better than Natasha Lyonne? Or Pamela Adlon or Alison Janney? I guess this really is subjective.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Andrew Scott, keep it up. Henry Winkler and Anthony Carrigan have more than earned their place here. I’m glad to see William Jackson Harper recognized again, and I’m always glad to see Andre Braugher being selected.
Daniel Levy isn’t a bad choice (MTV actually recognized him last year, so it’s not like he doesn’t have widespread appeal. I’m fine with Nico Santos in principle, but couldn’t they have found room for Marc Maron? Or Alan Arkin?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Alex Borstein keeps appealing to me. I’m always glad to see Betty Gilpin for GLOW. D’Arcy Carden continued to make me smile as Janet on The Good Place. And I appreciate the selectiveness of the critics for recognizing Sian Clifford for Fleabag (though there was nothing stopping them from recognizing Olivia Colman too). Rita Moreno remains a natural treasure.
I don’t really have a problem with Annie Murphy’s nomination for Schitt’s Creek or Molly Shannon for The Other Two. I just wish they could’ve found room for Marin Hinkle or maybe Gillian Anderson for Sex Education? But this same grouping is why I enjoy the Critic’s Choice in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment