Thursday, February 1, 2024

Emmy Watch Phase 3: The People's Choice Awards (No, Seriously They Deserve It This Year.)

 

I have spent much of the last twenty years pretending the People’s Choice Awards do not exist. Not because I don’t respect the people, but because mass consumption and my field rarely coincide.

But after the MTV Movie Awards starting giving nominations for TV – and after some of their nominations and awards began to correlate with the Emmys – I realized it might be worth giving at least a casual look at it.

As you’d expect it still doesn’t have much correlation – until this year. Perhaps it is due to the strike, perhaps it is due to the shifting tides of Hollywood, but there are actually some nominees among most of the shows make me think either the people are getting smarter or the critics are getting dumber,

Then  again when you consider some of the major movies nominated include Oppenheimer and Barbie which is expected, and Killers of the Flower Moon and Asteroid City, which are not – maybe the latter is true. Hell, the People were willing to give more room for Are You There God? Its Me Margaret which is actually a choice the Oscars should have made. They even nominated Natalie Portman and Charles Melton for May December along with Margot Robbie. When the People’s Choice Awards make the Oscars look bad…Well, one thing at a time. Let’s concentrate on TV.

 

THE COMEDY SHOW OF THE YEAR

Abbott Elementary, Ted Lasso, The Bear and Only Murders in the Building. That’s actually not shocking. Saturday Night Live isn’t either. I have to give them credit for nominated Never Have I Ever which the Emmys have ignored as well as Young Sheldon. I guess I can overlook And Just Like That…Asking for the People to nominate Poker Face might too much.

DRAMA SHOW OF THE YEAR

The Last of Us, Grey’s Anatomy I expected. Succession and The Morning Show? The people have good taste. Law and Order: SVU and Grey’s Anatomy are still getting nominated by the ASTRA’s. But give them credit for nominating Ginny & Georgia and Outer Banks which people love but the Emmys don’t.

SCI-FI FANTASY SHOW OF THE YEAR

You expect to see Ahsoka and The Mandalorian here. Loki was nominated by the Critics Choice Awards. Black Mirror is beloved by everybody and Ghosts might actually get nominated for Emmys this year. Secret Invasion really shows the pull of Marvel. Though I will give credit to them that they didn’t nominated Obi-Wan Kenobi which puts them one better than the Emmys.

BINGEWORTHY SHOW OF THE YEAR

Skipping the reality shows, I’ll go with Jury Duty, Beef, The Crown and The Night Agent. The last three shows I would not expect the People to consider watching much less binge. Queen Charlotte has her favorites and maybe I should watch Summer I Turned Pretty.

 

MALE TV STAR OF THE YEAR

I imagine Steve Martin must be thrilled to be getting the people’s love at this point – though again this puts the People’s Choice one up on the Emmys. Kieran Culkin, Jason Sudeikis and Jeremy Allan White are all magnificent, but let’s not kid ourselves Pedro Pascal has this one down cold. Tom Hiddleston makes sense. Samuel L. Jackson really doesn’t. I’ll let Outer Banks slide

 

FEMALE TV STAR OF THE YEAR

And I have even fewer notes. How can one complain about Selena Gomez (who again the Emmys ignored) Quinta Brunson, Hannah Waddingham, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston or Ali Wong? Mariska Hargitay has been an Emmy winner and I’ll let Rosario Dawson take this because, honestly, I thought she should have gotten an Emmy nod for at least two previous series.

 

COMEDY TV STAR OF THE YEAR

Gomez, Martin, Brunson, White, Sudeikis, Wong, Waddingham and Bowen Yang. The Emmys should do this good a job.

 

DRAMA STAR OF THE YEAR

Aniston, Witherspoon, Culkin, Pascal, Hargitay and I figured Bella Ramsey would be hear out of fairness. Ice-T probably should be getting a lifetime achievement award.

 

TV PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR

What would it mean if Meryl Streep won this prize? Would she even show up?

This seems to be more in the supporting wing, though there is a good group. Jon Hamm is here for The Morning Show, Steven Yeun for Beef,  Ayo Edebiri for The Bear, Billie Eilish for Swarm, Storm Reid for The Last of Us (I guess Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlet weren’t eligible) and honestly Matt Bomer for Fellow Travelers is more than I would have dared hope for. I’ll let Queen Charlotte go.

 

SHOW OF THE YEAR

Grey’s Anatomy and SVU for the networks, Only Murders in the Building, Ted Lasso and The Bear for comedies, The Last of Us for Drama and Saturday Night Live. I think I can forgive Vanderpump Rules.

 

Honestly are the people getting smarter? Saltburn is part of the acting nominees and Color Purple is here for Drama. I realize that Cocaine Bear and Five Nights at Freddy are among the nominees too and there are still whole categories devoted to nominating Phase Five and Transformers. But maybe the people do know something we mere critics don’t. Or maybe they’ve finally caught on to how nice it is not to always have your intelligence insulted.

I’ll deal with some of the awards later on and my predictions for SAG-AFTRA later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment