Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Emmy Watch Phase 3: 2024 Television Critics Association Nominations

 

 

When last I wrote I said that I would be following the MTV Movie and TV Awards and the Dorian Awards nominations. Well MTV has cancelled the former (at least for this year) and it’s not going to be until later this month that we get nominations for the latter.

But yesterday we did get another major group announcing its nominations. The Television Critics Association, which I have been covering for my blog for the last several years, released its nominations for this past season yesterday. As they have been a frequent bellwether for Emmy contenders pretty much since they began as well as frequently recognizing the underrated shows on TV, I have been waiting with anticipation for the last month to learn when they’ve finally announce the nominations. Naturally when I finally stopped looking they came out, and as you’d expect they are likely going to help us a lot.

So let’s get started – and please note that for whatever reason (the TCA doesn’t explain why) they’ve reduced the number of nominees in each category from eight to six. I hope this is only a temporary concern

 

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

Three of the nominees – Abbott Elementary, The Bear and Hacks – are certain to dominate the awards for comedy. It looks likely that Reservation Dogs will be nominated in the comedy awards, though how many nods it will get is hard to say.

Girls5eva – the critically acclaimed Peacock success that moved to Netflix – is more remote and its less likely that We are Lady Parts will get nominated for anything.

 

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Like most years, limited series dominate as much as dramas do. Shogun is classified in this category and given the rising success of Fallout, it’s a likely nominee to. Three of the nominees – Season 5 of Fargo, True Detective: Night Country and Baby Reindeer are certainties for Best Limited Series and they might be willing to open the door to Ripley. Aside from my problems with Night Country, I can’t argue with any of them.

 

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIE, MINI-SERIES OR SPECIALS

As you’d expect Fargo, Baby Reindeer and Ripley are here but oddly enough, Night Country isn’t. (I’m not arguing.) Fellow Travelers is deservedly here and I can’t quibble with The Sympathizer. Fall of the House of the Usher is an odd choice, certainly over such other possibilities as Lessons in Chemistry but it was recognized by the Critics Choice, so I’ll let it go.

 

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM

Can’t argue with Baby Reindeer, Shogun or Ripley. Fallout and Mr. and Mrs. Smith are likely Emmy contenders. X-MEN ’97 fans should be thrilled by its inclusion here.

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Very interesting mix. Hiroyuki Sanada and Anna Sawai, Richard Gadd, Andrew Scott and Juno Temple are all more than worthy choices. You know my feelings of Night Country and I would prefer Robert Downey Jr to Jodie Foster, but I’m not going to argue she doesn’t belong.

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

At this point Quinta Brunson, Ayo Edebiri and Jean Smart are all among the top contenders for Best Actress in a Comedy and no one is arguing Jeremy Allen White won’t win his second Best Actor. I hope Devery Jacobs’s nomination for Reservation Dogs helps propel her to a deserved Emmy nomination. I would honestly have preferred one of the nominees from Only Murders in the Building to Renee Elise Goldsberry for Girls5eva but what can you do?

 

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN VARIETY

No one would argue with the nominees: Saturday Night Live, Last Week Tonight, Late Night with Seth Meyers. The Daily Show and Jimmy Kimmel. I would have preferred Stephen Colbert over John Mulaney Presents but what the hell?

 

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR

I can’t argue with any of the choices. Baby Reindeer, The Bear, Hacks, Reservation Dogs, Ripley and Shogun all made their impact.

 

I don’t have much to say about achievement in Family programming though it’s nice to see Heartstopper and My Adventures with Superman here along with Doctor Who and X-Men 97. And while I have little use for reality programming I was thrilled to see Jerrod Carmichael’s new show and We’re Here alongside Top Chef and The Amazing Race.

 

This is usually the part where I rage about all the exclusions. However, since the number of nominations in every category did drop by two, it was far more likely that many of the shows I’d argue for – from Will Trent to Feud  - were almost certainly going to be ignored. I’ll let it go for now but I really hope the TCA course corrects starting next year. It’s certainly not because there is less great television.

The winners will be announced July 12th. If I’m fortunate I’ll remember to cover them not long after they happen.

The Dorian TV nominations will be announced at the end of June. I’ll be back to cover them then as we approach the days of the actual Emmy nominations in little more than a month’s time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment