Friday, January 5, 2018

My Picks For This Years Golden Globes, Part 2

BEST MOVIE/LIMITED SERIES
Bit of a misnomer this year, seeing as all the nominees are Limited Series. While I would like to see Fargo win (and they have before) I think its far more likely to go one of the best series. Let's face it, Big Little Lies has had this one locked up since March.
Should Win/Will Win: Big Little Lies.

BEST ACTOR, MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
I think that, in the end, this race will come to one of the actors whose last name begins with 'Mac'. There are strong arguments for both. Ewan McGregor was arguably robbed of an Emmy. So, at a different time, was Kyle MacLachlan. Both men played multiple characters, and one might give more credit to MacLachlan, who actually played three distinct different ones. Personally, I'd give the edge to MacLachlan. But I think the one who will prevail is McGregor.
Should Win: MacLachlan.
Will Win: McGregor

BEST ACTRESS, MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
A very tough category to parse, but ultimately I think its going to come down to whichever leading lady from Big Little Lies the voters choose to honor. My gut tells me that they're probably going to go with Kidman over Witherspoon. Both gave sterling performances, no question, but my guess this will probably be the category that comes closest to the Emmys.
Should Win: Witherspoon/Kidman.
Will Win: Kidman.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, TV, MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
Tough call, and this is one of the categories that had a major upset last year. Alexander Skaarsgard would seem to be the favorite, but you just can't say for sure. Look for a possibility that one of the David's - Thewlis or more likely Harbour - could pull an upset. I wouldn't mind if Harbour won, but they're all good choices.
Should Win: Skaarsgard.
Will Win: Harbour (?)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, TV, MOVIE OR LIMITED SERIES
This could be a tough one to handicap too, arguably the toughest of the night. With two Emmy winners in the category - Laura Dern for Big Little Lies and Ann Dowd for the Handmaid's Tale - there is more possibility for a dark horse winning. My personal preference remains for Shailene Woodley, who has been owed some kind of trophy since The Descendants.  But I still give the barest of edges to Dern. Still, good choices all.
Should Win: Woodley.
Will Win: Dern (maybe).

I wouldn't object to being proven wrong in a lot of these. See you Sunday night

No comments:

Post a Comment