Wednesday, February 3, 2021

My Reactions To This Year's Golden Globe Nominations, Part 1

 

The Golden Globes nominations for television are always hard to figure out. More often than not, they tend to recognize what is a current sensation rather than seasoned performers. And often if they recognize you in your first season, they may never acknowledge you again. Even when they do, there rarely seems to be a consensus between the acting and the series.

You got a certain feeling with this year's nominations as well. There were a lot of good choices, don’t get me wrong. But the scattershot nature of the process really seemed to be in affect today, particularly in stark contrast to the nominations of the Broadcast Critics two weeks ago.

I’ll elaborate as we go through the choices.

 

BEST TV SERIES – DRAMA

It’s hard to argue that The Crown, Ozark and Lovecraft Country don’t belong here. But the remaining two nominations make less sense. The Mandalorian was a big deal… last year. And considering the lion’s share of its work is technical, I don’t think it deserves to be recognized in this category.

And I really don’t understand why Ratched, Netflix’s prequel to One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest is being recognized instead of Better Call Saul, This is Us or Perry Mason, all of which were superior programs. We’ll get to the other flaws in the nominations as we go.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A TV DRAMA

This is better by a bit. Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys and Jason Bateman more than deserved to be considered for their work, and I actually don’t have a problem with Al Pacino being recognized for Hunters.

I’m still of two minds about Josh O’Connor’s nomination. His work on The Crow is superb, no question. But I still believe it falls more in the supporting category than a lead. Why couldn’t they have nomination Jonathan Majors for Lovecraft Countyr or Sterling Brown for This is Us instead?

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

I have no problem with Olivia Colman or Emma Corrin’s nominations for The Crown. Laura Linney more than deserved to be recognized for Ozark.  I can see the logic in nominating Jodie Comer, though I really feel the moment for Killing Eve has passed.

Again, I don’t see why Sarah Paulson deserved to get nominated for Ratched. I’d much rather have seen Jormee Smollett for Lovecraft Country or Sandra Oh or Claire Danes. This seems one of the Golden Globes weirder choices.

 

BEST COMEDY SERIES

Now we’re getting even more off track. I have no problem with Schitt’s Creek or Ted Lasso getting nominated, and there’s been enough buzz for The Flight Attendant.

But Emily in Paris? That’s not even the best comedy on Netflix. Dead to Me was shutout, and they didn’t acknowledge Insecure or Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.  And they considered The Great better than the second season of Ramy? That’s almost offensive. And that does seem weird that What We Do in the Shadows was completely ignored

 

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Eugene Levy, Ramy Youseff and Jason Sudeikis I have no problem with. I still don’t understand why Don Cheadle keeps getting nominated for Showtime series that aren’t really that good, but I’ll let it go.

And I’m not at all thrilled with the recognition given to Nicholas Hoult for The Great. Where the hell is Anthony Anderson or Jim Carrey? This is ridiculous.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

A little better. Catherine O’Hara more than deserves to be here, and I’m glad to see Kaley Cuoco nominated. And Jane Levy being recognized for her work is, well, extraordinary.

But Lily Collins over Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini? What the hell? And Elle Fanning doesn’t even deserve to be considered in the same sentence as Issa Rae or Pamela Adlon. This is not great at all.

 

Be back tomorrow when I deal with Limited Series and Supporting Awards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment