Thursday, February 4, 2021

My Reactions To This Year's Golden Globe Nominations: Part 2, Limited Series/Supporting Awards

 

 

BEST TV LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE

 It was inevitable, given the vast array of Limited Series that were brilliant this year, that there were going to be disappointments.  Rarely, however, have I felt more let down. I’m glad to see The Undoing and The Queen’s Gambit nominated, and I can understand the logic behind Normal People and Unorthodox. But I wished they make up their minds about whether Small Axe is a movie or TV.

And now I’ll vent. Nothing for Fargo or Little Fires Everywhere or even I May Destroy You?. Almost nothing for The Good Lord Bird or Miss America?  The Globes usually does much better for Limited Series than the Emmys does. But then again, they completely ignored Watchmen last year, so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES, ANTHOLOGY SERIES OR TV MOVIE

I have fewer qualms with this category. Hugh Grant and Mark Ruffalo fully deserve to be here, as does Ethan Hawke. I basically have no problem with Bryan Cranston or even Jeff Daniels, But couldn’t they have found room for Chris Rock’s incredible work in Fargo. Or Hugh Jackman’s superb performance in Bad Education?

 

BEST ACTRESS IN LIMITED SERIES, ANTHOLOGY SERIES OR TV MOVIE

Again mostly okay. Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman and Anya Taylor-Joy more than deserve to be here, and an argument can be made for Shira Haas and Daisy Edgar-Jones.

I’m disappointed by the continued shut out of Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington’s work on Little Fires Everywhere, and Michaela Coel searing work on I May Destroy You may be the most egregious snub of the entire Golden Globes. I think that will generate the most outrage.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

No problem with Daniel Levy or Donald Sutherland. I can see the argument for Brendan Gleeson for The Comey Rule, though I real thought Trump fatigue would’ve set in by now. Jim Parsons makes a certain amount of sense for Hollywood, though it is odd he’s the only nominee.

John Boyega was nominated as a lead by the Broadcast Critics for Small Axe, so I’m not sure why he’s listed as Supporting here. More to the point, I question his presence at all with the superb number of supporting performances in Fargo or The Good Lord Bird that were entirely ignored in this category. Hell, Mahershala Ali deserves it more. This is a really weird call.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

For a change, all of the nominees in this category are from series, Drama or Comedy.. I have no problem with Gillian Anderson or Helena Bonham Carter’s nominations for The Crown or Annie Murphy’s for Schitt’s Creek.  Considering she’s won the last two Supporting Actress in a Drama Emmys, it seems fitting that Julia Garner is here for Ozark.

Cynthia Nixon’s presence for Ratched  really doesn’t satisfy at all. I would much rather have seen Rhea Seehorn for Better Call Saul or Cynthia Erivo for The Outsider would’ve been a better choice. Hell, any of the fine actresses in Mrs. America would’ve been a better call. What does the Golden Globes have for Ryan Murphy?

 

I’ll be back in a few weeks to discuss who deserves to win and who will.

No comments:

Post a Comment