Monday, September 4, 2023

The Disruption Series Part 6: Bill Maher Is Absolutely Right About The Labor Stoppage in Hollywood

 

 

This weekend on a podcast with fellow comedian Jim Gaffigan, the iconoclastic Bill Maher was asked his opinion on the strike in Hollywood, focusing on the WGA. Maher, to say the least, never shies from saying what he thinks and he didn’t this time:

“What I find questionable about the philosophy of the strike (is) it seems to be they have really morphed a long way from the 2007 strike where they kind of believe that your owed a living as a writer, and you’re not…This is show business. This is the make-or-miss league… I feel for my writers…I’m one of my writers. But there’s a big other side to it. And a lot of other people are being hurt besides them – a lot of people who don’t make as much money as them in this bipartisan world where you’re just in one camp for the other, there’s no in between. You’re either for the strike like they’re f—Ing Che Guevara out there…like this is Cesar Chavez’s lettuce picking strike, or you’re with Trump. There’s no difference.”

I can already hear all of Bill Maher’s usual enemies – the progressives who never agree with him, those in Hollywood who say he doesn’t represent them, the young saying that he’s just a privileged Boomer and that his anti-woke attitudes towards America and Hollywood negate anything he has. This is the traditional reactionary attitude and in this case, it’s fundamentally ridiculous. Because Maher is an industry veteran. He has been working in Hollywood for more than thirty five years, which is longer than some of the members have been alive. He has known what it takes to make it and how much of it is based on luck. He is both a member of the WGA and SAG-AFTRA so he’s entitled to his opinion on these issues. And he did make it through the 2007 strike so he should be entitled to his opinion on that.  Even if I did not agree with ninety-five percent of his statement (a personal record on his part in regards to me) the fact is he’s telling truths that the strikers do need to hear.  And now that the WGA strike is the longest in history and we still don’t seem to be close to an ending, I think it’s time for the writers and actors to get a message.

Bill’s right. You’re not Che Guevara and Cesar Chavez. And I think you need to get a very clear picture on where your work ranks in the great scheme of things. I’m going to speak in terms of purely television but this applies to all of you.

First, you are not owed a living as a writer or an actor. You’re really not.  Hundreds of thousands of you to try to break it into showbusiness every year. The combined membership of your guilds is a quarter of a million. The city of Boston has more than two and half times as many people than are working for your entire group. That’s the definition of elitists. Hell, when it comes to Hollywood and the rest of the country, you are the one percent. Stop pretending that you’re just like autoworkers or fast food employees because you have a union card.

You do know how lucky you are. I mean, every time one of your members accept an award you mention at least two or three times in thirty seconds. You realized the dreams that ninety-nine point nine percent of us never will. You grabbed the brass ring. Is America supposed to feel sympathy for you because now it isn’t as shiny as you thought it was? Many people went back home after trying and failing at what you’re making a living at it. I realize you might consider it scraps but there are millions of people living below the poverty line who would consider your ‘residuals’ manna from heaven. Forgive us for not feeling sympathy when one of you says that the strike is you bad you have to sell of one of your houses.

I get it. A lot of you are not making your fair share. To be clear, your unfair share would probably more than pay the rent of the people who work two jobs in order to support their family.  I don’t have a job and am not getting paid for the writing I do for this column so I guess I’m not capable of understanding why a staff writer for The Bear is upset they’re not getting residuals. Of course I have to look for a job every day and know how bad the pickings are.  But I guess it would beneath someone who thinks they should be getting their fair share every time someone watches an episode of House of the Dragon they were an extra in to do something menial like you know work as a medical receptionist.

But I do get it: this strike isn’t just for you, it’s for everybody. The California Treasurer issued a report last week urging a settlement to the strike saying that the stoppage had cost the state of California alone $12 billion since it began. I have little doubt you saw this report and cheered it as a victory for your side.

May I remind you of a few things. You are aware that any one of these corporations could take a hit of $12 billion in a year and keep going. You know that because you want more of it. That $12 billion came at the cost of thousands of smaller jobs that would have been the part of movies and TV series -  the production designers, the gaffers, the assistants, the messengers, the caterers, the hairdressers, the makeup artists = you know all the little people you give lip service to in the middle of your long speeches but apparently had no problem depriving of income, even though far many of them need the money more than you do. The corporations won’t suffer not paying them. The people will as will the companies that rely on this money to keep going. But hey, it made the studios look bad, so what’s a few billion dollars between friends?

And of course some of you are bitching that the studios are being petty and vindictive by cancelling shows that they have already renewed.  To be clear, they have to make up their money somewhere and there are no writers to write their scripts or actors to perform on them, but sure this is all on the evil corporations. You’re on the side of the working man.

And this is where I fundamentally have to get to the heart of what your strike is. Now I need to make this very clear. I love a lot of what you do. I have made my living singing the praises of many of your shows. I do appreciate the causes you are fighting for and I do understand the need to make money at your job.

The thing is, I am also very aware that in the grand scheme of things how much actors and writers get paid for their work streaming on Hulu is trivial. I don’t mean to you guys; I mean to everybody else.  I speak as someone who wants you to get your fair share of the pot, but I guarantee you most Americans do not give a damn. What you consider your life’s work they gobble up in a day. They only care about it when it is absent.

And on a purely personal note, if the corporations chose to cancel so many of your dream projects, all the work you’ve poured your heart and soul in to, you know what I have to say: Good!  Because, and I’m not alone on this, there are far too many television shows to watch right now.  There are at least 500 series that were submitted for Emmy consideration for the 2022-2023 season. By my count that’s at least 400 too many for a civilized person to watch.  

You argue this is about economics? Fine. You understand supply and demand? At this point the television world is choked by a supply that this are absolutely no demand for.  You want to say streaming created this mess? You were fine taking their money to create projects no one ever asked for and in some case, almost no one may have watched. America needs many things – a functional government, a working educational system, clean renewable energy. What is does not need is another set of Yellowstone or Game of Thrones spinoffs. And yet somehow that’s what we keep getting.

In fact, I was saving this for another article but I’m kind of glad to decided to go on strike and force the Emmys to be postponed until January. Now I have the time to get caught up the enormous backlog of series that you and your colleagues continuously foist upon us.  I’ve already managed to completely watch Welcome to Chippendale’s and Jury Duty because of this delay. I’ve already started watching Bad Sisters, which I would never  have bothered to even try without the strike. I’ll be able to finish Andor and Daisy Jones and The Six without the pressure of a deadline. I can watch the current seasons of  Only Murders in the Building and The Crown with no pressure to rush through it by the end of the month. So my life has been made easier when you decided to shut Hollywood down.

And I imagine most people haven’t even noticed yet. They might notice when the fall season starts and CBS is airing Yellowstone instead of new episodes of So Help Me Todd, but then most people don’t watch network television anyway.  That’s one of the reasons the industry is struggling but yes, the corporations are worth billions so they’re really not, right?

But of course I’m just another corporate stooge and all of you people walking the picket lines in  Hollywood are the real heroes. Because in a country with a divided government, a broken political system, and all the other problems that you good liberal people say are horrors, your struggles to earn a living producing the TV shows that people either channel chase through or movies that people don’t go to are the exact same ones that those who try to unionize at Amazon are. You know, this is usually the point in my articles where I try to argue for empathy and compassion for everybody, but in this case and at this particular point I’m having a lot of trouble finding some. And those of you who read my column regularly know what I means for me to say the next statement: I’m will Bill Maher on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment