Monday, November 20, 2023

Why I Hope The Demise of the MCU Is Not Exaggerated

 

 

The reports of this weekend’s box office have revealed dour signs for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Marvels had a poor opening weekend and a drastic fall-off this weekend; the reports are it will probably not even gross $100 million. The first release this year: Ant-Man: Quantomania had a superb opening weekend but disastrously dropped off in the second weekend. The third installment of Guardians of the Galaxy did slightly better than either film but poorly in comparison to the first two.

This is part of a trend that has been following superhero movies in both DC and Marvel over the past year. Shazam! Fury of the Gods and Blue Beetle both were disastrous financial failures and it remains to be seen if the most recent Aquaman film can turn things around for the series next month. Marvel’s problems are deeper, however: Phase Four featured several risky films that did not meet expectations and it was only through the success of Wakanda Forever that the Phase was not a complete disaster. Given the increasingly shaky receptions of so many of the recent Marvel TV adaptation this past year – not only Ms. Marvel but Secret Invasion  and the amount of chaos behind the scenes of Daredevil: Born Again – it is beginning to sound that superhero fatigue has begun to set in.

My reaction to this is simple: Good.

Now before I receive the utter rage of the internet as to being against comic books, I need to be very clear that I do not feel this way about all comic book based adaptations. Growing up among my favorite animated series were the 1990s version of Batman, X-Men and Spiderman, all of which are still considered classics today and all of which I intend to write about in a different context.  Furthermore I’ve always like the well-made superhero film: Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy is a gold standard that almost no comic book film before or since has surpassed. I’ve already expressed how much of a maligned masterpiece I thought Zack Snyder’s adaptation of Watchmen was and I thought the HBO adaptation a decade later was just as much a masterpiece. I was always fond of many, if not all, of the series in the Arrow-verse in the past decade and if most of them stayed on past their expiration date that’s a flaw of too many comic book series. Those of you who read my blog know I ranked Wandavision among the best shows of 2021.  And I have found places in my heart for certain films in the X-Men franchise and was a huge admirer of Todd Philips’ Joker.

But I’ve always had a problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I’ve never truly thought the whole was better than the sum of its parts and that’s allow that all of the movies in that universe were masterpieces, which to be clear almost none of them were. That’s not a real shock when you make twenty-four films in the course of a decade, the law of averages is against the same quality being able to hold within all or even most of them. I don’t blame the filmmakers for that. And I admire them for the scope of their plans when it came to tell one overarching story and can even admire them for being this ambitious in trying to tell it. There has been a risk with trying to tell a great story from the start of Phase One onward and I don’t blame it for it increasingly unwieldy with each successive phase: the filmmakers were juggling a lot of plates and with each phase they kept having to throw in more hazardous things to juggle. By the time they got to Infinity War, they were essentially juggling a dozen chainsaws that were all on fire: it’s not their fault if things had started to get out of control.

My problem is that, individually, very few of the MCU films even work beyond the narrow standard of a summer blockbuster. To be clear, I’m not taking the Scorsese point of view that Marvel movies aren’t really films; we have to acknowledge he’s prejudiced on the subject of what he considers a film. My problem is I know that a great big budget film by the standards of an action movie or other genre CAN be a masterpiece beyond entertainment.  And by that standard, almost every single film in the MCU cannot pass that test.

The reason I feel this strongly is due to a separate fact. The year after Iron Man the film that started the MCU debuted, the Academy Awards began to expand the number of nominated films it had for Best Picture as a reaction to the fact that the Oscars were increasingly nominating movies that were arthouse films that very few people saw.  I’m not to going to pretend that there has been an immense improvement by the Academy in that regard: they still prefer the small-budget and ‘serious’ movie to any blockbuster, comic book movie or not. What has changed is that more and more summer blockbusters have been nominated for Best Picture in the past decade and more importantly, many of these films are considered in other awards that just wouldn’t have been at the start of the decade.

Now the naysayers will says: “They still aren’t nominating comic book movies for Best Picture” and I won’t debate that. (I’ll get to that in a minute, though, because there are other pertinent.) The thing is the kind of blockbusters they have nominated are definitely the kind of films I prefer as entertainment because they appeal not just to the eye but the mind. I think it is worth comparing year by year, the movies that got made by the MCU and the kind of blockbusters that were getting nominated in their stead.

It's worth remembering that the major reason the Oscars decided to nominate more films was because of the justifiable outrage that The Dark Knight was not nominated for Best Picture of 2008. Even those who loved Iron Man would have been inclined to say that Nolan’s vision was the deeper film that the first movie in Phase One.

2009: Unless you were hiding under a rock you know that one of the films nominated for Best Picture was James Cameron’s Avatar. We’ll let that go because there was no Marvel film that year. (Also I didn’t like Avatar.)

2010: I seriously doubt even the most devoted Marvel fans consider Iron Man 2 a cinematic masterpiece: most consider a weaker entry in the first three phases. Few would even think of comparing it to Inception a film so brilliant and imaginative than more than thirteen years later, we still can’t get out of our heads and no one has tried to make a movie like it.

2011: Yeah, let’s be honest the Oscars don’t make it easy for us here. Thor and Captain America were far from masterpieces but none of the bigger studio films were what could be charitably called blockbusters. Hugo is one of the greatest films I’ve seen but it was a disaster at the box office. But during the summer of 2011 the movie a lot of people were talking about – and seeing – was Bridesmaids, the brilliant comedy vehicle that officially made Melissa McCarthy a movie star and gave Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph the vehicle they deserved.  The film was nominated for Best Picture by the Golden Globes and Best Ensemble by the Screen Actors Guild. Bridesmaids was the film that was robbed by the Academy and it was far better than either Marvel Movie.

2012: This is trickier because seven of the nine nominated films did gross over $100 million that year so its not entirely a fair comparison. And I can see why The Avengers might have an argument for it. But I’ll be honest there were two other franchise movies I’m more upset the Oscars didn’t nominated for Best Picture: The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall, in my opinion the best James Bond film of all time. (In fairness, I’m not Bond’s biggest patron either but I think many critics would agree with me on my ranking.

Moving to Phase Two:

2013: This is a little too easy considering that no one considers Thor: The Dark World or Iron Man 3 even very good films and one of the biggest winners at the Oscars that year was Gravity a technical masterpiece and one of the most brilliant works of cinema I’ve seen in the past decade. It gave me chills when I saw in the theater; it still does on TV.

2014: This is the rare occasion I might give the MCU some credit. The Winter Soldier is the one movie in the MCU I consider a full-on masterpiece not just for the action scenes within it but because it seemed to be set in the real world in a way most comic books aren’t. The fact that the Oscars decided that their idea for a superhero movie was Birdman doesn’t help; nor does the fact that with the exception of American Sniper and The Grand Budapest Hotel that year they basically walked away from the idea of big budget entertainment. Had they been willing to nominate Interstellar I might consider it, but in this case the mcu gets the edge – for Winter Soldier, though, not Guardians.

2015: This one the Oscars win hands down, not just because Avengers 2: Age of Ultron was clearly inferior to Avengers one but because they nominated for Best Picture two genre films that both artistically and from a perspective of a screenplay had it all over either of the MCU films. No one questions just how extraordinary Mad Max: Fury Road was or how good a measure of effects and intellect The Martian is. I would have been fine if either film had one Best Picture.

Moving to Phase 3 and that’s where I’ll stop, mainly because this is where everyone agrees the quality begins to drop.

2016: This is a little tricker because we start getting more films. Now I’ll admit Civil War had the potential to be an Oscar worthy film but compared to the intellect and majesty on display in Arrival that’s the one I would have chosen. Considering that movies like Hacksaw Ridge and La La Land were part of the discussion, not close.

2017: I might be willing to grant the quality of Homecoming or the amusement of Thor: Ragnarök but I don’t consider it a close question compared to The Post, that rare, undervalued Spielberg movie or the majesty of Dunkirk. That said a Marvel Movie deserved a Best Picture nomination and that film was Logan.

2018: Here is where I will admit that Spiderman: Into the Spider verse was a good choice for Best Animated Film. I personally preferred Isle of Dogs but I honestly think Spiderverse was by far the most ambitious Marvel film I’ve seen. And I’ll even acknowledge the logic of Black Panther getting nominated for Best Picture. That said, I’m still nowhere near convinced  that as an entertainment as well as personal significance, it lacks the quality of a film the way that Get Out did the year before or Black Klansman did that year. And if I’m honest, I would have preferred a Best Picture nod for A Quiet Place instead.

2019: Not a close question. I saw all three films and none of them are close to Oscar material. Not in the way that Once Upon A Time in Hollywood  was certainly not in comparison to Joker.

Now of course I imagined partisans of comic book films and the MCU alike will argue the Oscars bigotry towards comic book movies as being the kind of film they nominate and I can’t pretend that I disagree about their snobbishness. If anything, I believe trying to use the Oscars or really any awards show as a yardstick for appreciating any film quality is not a bar that we should try to set. I know the kind of movie the Oscars nominate and no comic book movie could meet that standard. Comedies are still not being let in at any real rate, horror films don’t apply and it is only now that science fiction is starting to have any presence at all. The fact that an action film such as Fury Road (and a sequel, too!) is such an aberration to the Oscars ridiculous standard I’m kind of amazed it got let in.  They should honestly say it’s an honor ‘not’ to be nominated.

But the fact is this: I would rather watch or rewatch any of those movies that I’ve listed then any of the Marvel films from the first three phases.  All of these movies fall under the definition of ‘Spectacle’ a term used by Kenneth Turan when he was praising the well-made blockbuster. He used that term to refer to such movies as Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, Lord of The Rings (the first two films) and most revealingly Batman Begins.  I don’t agree with the first choice but the other films are all the kinds of movie I would gladly see not only on a big screen but in a theater.

You will also note that many of my choices for blockbusters I would were helmed by directors you will recognize and respect as the kind of craftsman you appreciate; Christopher Nolan, Denis Villeneuve, Quentin Tarantino and Ridley Scott and Alfonso Cuaron. All of these directors are the kind of craftsmen capable of making the kind of films that can not only make huge amounts of money but are wildly admired by fans and critics alike. I would rather see any film they make than any film in the MCU: there was a reason I wanted to see Oppenheimer the moment it came out and I’m looking forward to seeing Napoleon later this year. We’ve been talking about these directors films decades after their made; no one talks about any single Marvel movie for more than a few weeks after it comes out.  Individual performances may stand out; the films themselves are basically popcorn.

And this, to be clear, can be seen in certain comic book films as well: there are moments in all three movies of Nolan’s trilogy that resonate with me after twenty years and there is power to be found in several of the X-Men films. (I’m going to talk about them later on.) But the MCU has always been about some bigger picture rather than an individual work or even series of works. My problems with them is not they don’t work as comic book movies but because, with rare exceptions, they’re not about anything other than the special effects and stunts and some witty lines.  They’re not character studies, they don’t have dense plots; they’re not even really about what’s going on in the movie – they’re all about rushing ahead to the next film, the next piece in the puzzle.  Most films are about the journey rather than the destination: the major flaw in the MCU has been that it has built its films on the reverse of that concept.

The Internet is divided between partisans who think the MCU has gotten too woke and another faction that thinks the purists don’t want to recognize change. How about the simple fact that they’re not just that good? I saw Captain Marvel in theaters. It wasn’t very good. Not because it was woke; it sucked. It was all about rushing through an origin story to get the Easter egg. That’s all it was. That’s all almost every Marvel movie is. Joker which I saw that fall was a better film because it used the trappings of the DC verse to actually try and tell a different story. I didn’t like one film and hate the other because I’m a white male; I liked one and disliked the other because one was a much better film on every level.  I also saw Little Women and Us and loved them too. You can hate a certain film just because it stinks: it doesn’t have to be a litmus test for anything.

I don’t know if this is the failure of the last few MCU means that Disney and Marvel will finally stop making these films. Far more likely they will  take a long enough pause until they think we’ve forgotten and then reboot them. I confess I’m not personally invested in their success or failure the way millions of Americans seem to be. All I know is that we have to stop looking at the MCU for what it isn’t and see  it for what it is – and that what it is has never been as much as so many filmgoers truly seem to believe it to be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment