Monday, March 4, 2024

After Tonight, I'm Going to Have To Completely Rethink Celebrity Jeopardy

 

Those of you who have read my columns about Jeopardy over the past few years know that while I have a very high regard to the show there has been one key element that I not only disdain but think is something of a disgrace to the format. On more than one occasion I’ve actually written that when it comes to Celebrity Jeopardy the wonderful parodies that Saturday Night Live wrote with Will Ferrell wonderfully mocking Alex Trebek, were understating how truly horrible these matches were the witness.

At a certain point, I can’t even recall when I began to stop watching the Celebrity Tournaments that Jeopardy did on an annual basis. While there had been some exceptions over my first decade of watching the show by certain individual celebrities, these matches eventually became grotesqueries of everything I held dear about the show I loved. There were some critical exceptions over the years – I wrote a column saying that such surprising talent as Cheech Marin and Michael McKean very likely would be able to play well in a regular match -  but by and large I considered them outliers in a vast array of fools. The matches increasingly seemed more for demonstrations of proving just how dumb celebrities truly were as they could not even answer questions that seemed directed deliberately towards them. (The most famous example being Bob Woodward’s inability to respond to a clue involving All the President’s Men.)

Consequently when Celebrity Jeopardy returned, this time in a prime time format back in the fall of 2022, I made it very clear that this was one particular Jeopardy event I had no intention of watching. I ended up partially rescinding on that decision last summer, mostly watching several of the semi-final matches. I will convince the play of many of these celebrities did impress me. Brendan Hunt of Ted Lasso was superb in both his quarterfinal and semi-final match. The play of Patton Oswalt was rather remarkable and I did eventually come to admire the work of Ike Barinholtz. I was also glad to see so many of my favorite Jeopardy super-champions taking a turn reading clues to celebrities after years of watching celebrities do the same. I was glad to see Austin Rogers read categories about bartending, Amy Schneider about the Golden State Warriors and James Holzhauer’s reading clues about gambling. I also thought Mayim Bialik was generally superb as the hostess of the match.

But my opinion stopped there. And when I heard that the winner of Celebrity Jeopardy, Ike Barnholtz, had been granted a spot in the hollowed Tournament of Champions I thought it was a joke and not a very funny one. To be fair I had not done my due diligence on Ike’s play in that tournament. In his very first match, he gave a total of 51 correct responses (over three round of play) and didn’t make a single mistake. He did nearly as well in his semi-final match, 37 correct responses only 1 error. And in his final, he gave 41 correct responses and only made two errors. Even if you allow for the, let’s be generous, easier clues in Celebrity Jeopardy rule, it’s still a masterful performance by any standards.

That said, even I had known the numbers, it probably would not have changed my opinion one iota. For any true fan of Jeopardy, the Tournament of Champions is something sacred and profane and in the last two seasons it has been under attack. Last year’s Second Chance Tournament bothered many fans of the show, it’s amplification to this degree at the start of the year far more and the Champions Wild Card was not much of an improvement. Inviting the winner of the Celebrity Tournament seemed like a bad joke; a sop to the studio bosses who wanted the Tournament to get higher ratings.

I have gone out of my way, in every article I have written on the upcoming Tournament, to not hide my feelings on this matter. I purposely did not mention Barinholtz in my initial run-up to the Tournament two weeks ago because it left a horrid taste in my mouth. And while my reaction may have extreme, I’m not entirely certain how seriously the rest of the world, those around Jeopardy and those involving Hollywood, were willing to take this. Part of me suspects that the writers of SNL might well have been planning to find someone to play Jennings in a sketch in the aftermath of the tournament in order to lampoon both the idea as well as Barnholtz himself.

Well tonight he played. And if that sketch was written, it has to be torn up. Because the rules of how the world views Celebrity Jeopardy and the contestants who are invited back have to be completely rewritten in the aftermath of tonight’s quarterfinal match. And people like me have to eat a lot of crow, not to mention rethink how I have looking at Celebrity Jeopardy or at least the new version of it.

To Ike’s credit, he clearly knew how much pressure he was under. In the interview segment he joked and said he was: “a guinea pig.” He also self-effacingly said how much he had been told by friends how smart he was. He also treating the game with the serious it deserved: there was only one, maybe two jokes but he did nothing to distract from what was happening. No doubt he was aware of the significance of his being invited as well as a couple of other critical facts. The clues were not going to be nearly as easy as the ones he had no trouble answering less than a year, and more importantly his fellow competitors were not in awe of his celebrity status. Indeed Melissa Klapper and Ray LaLonde wanted to win as much as he did, if not more. In addition to advancing to the semi-finals whoever won could argue forever put on their resume (in addition to everything else) that they had beaten Ika Barnholtz.

Now I get to the game itself. Tournament of Champions games are difficult; but these questions were at a tougher level than usual. There were twelve questions that stumped all three players – and for the record, myself as well. I can often do very well playing along at home, even in the Tournament of Champions.  To give you an idea  how much trouble I was having, I couldn’t come up with a correct response until the ninth clue of the Jeopardy round.

For the record Ike managed to get two right before I could. But all three players, I need to make this clear were all playing extremely well from start to finish. They might have not been able to answer twelve clues at all, but they didn’t make a lot of mistakes the rest of the way. This was a closely fought match. Melissa managed to move into the lead on the Daily Double in the Jeopardy round but it was the smallest of margins. By the end of the Jeopardy round Ray had a narrow margin with $5400 to Ike’s $4800 and Melissa’s $3800.

The start of Double Jeopardy was just as close. By the early stages of the round Ike had moved into the barest of leads with $7600 to Melissa’s $7400 and Ray’s $7000. Then he found the Daily Double in NUMERIC MOVIE TITLES (Ken told each title only consisted of numbers.) Perhaps realizing the significance, Ike rolled the dice:

“Fellini felt he’d directed 7.5 films before making this 1963 gem.” Ike knew that it was 8 1/2 and jumped into a commanding lead. Unfortunately that’s where he started to stumble though I really do need to be fair to him. None of the clues he got wrong were obvious and all of them stumped his fellow champions

NUMERIC MOVIE TITLES, $800: Loosely based on a classic legal film, this Nikita Mikhailov drama pits a racist juror against a pensive foreman.” Ike rang in and then realized he’d be wrong when he said: “What is 12 Angry Men?  He had the right idea, but the film is just called 12.

Then he got two straight incorrect responses in 5-SYLLABLE WORDS. “If you’re using metaphors and similes to make a point, you’re speaking this way.” He guessed metaphorically, which cost him $1200. No one else could come up with figuratively, not even me.

The next one was for $1600: “Frances Willard, founder of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, was one.” He guessed: “What is a teetotaler?” Now that’s what she was but it doesn’t have enough syllables. I realized it was prohibitionist. Not long after this Melissa managed to get to the other Daily Double in LANGUAGES, got it right and gained $8000, putting her in the lead. Ike managed to get $1200 back in the remainder of Double Jeopardy but Melissa finished in the lead.

The game its worth noting was played brilliantly by all three players. Both Ike and Ray got 17 correct responses apiece, but Ike gave the three incorrect answers I listed while Ray did not make a single mistake. Melissa ‘only’ gave fourteen correct response, but they included two Daily Doubles. Melissa had a significant lead with $21,400 to Ike’s $14,800 and Ray’s $13,800.

At this point Ike had done far more than any reasonable fan would have expected him to do as a contestant. He had faced off against two  Jeopardy champions  -including, it’s worth mentioning, a man whose thirteen wins and nearly $400,000 in regular earnings were among the highest won by any Jeopardy player in history and played at their level and led on many occasions in the match. He had treated the event with seriousness, applauding Melissa’s correct responses on both her Daily Doubles. (She and Ray, in turn, did the same when he got his correct.) Not only had he not made a fool of himself – which I have to tell you going in was a threshold I did not think he could meet – but he exceeded the expectations of any fan of the show.

The Final Jeopardy category was one that would cause even the best Jeopardy players to sweat: POETS OF ANCIENT ROME. The clue was: “Far from Rome, this first century poet wrote, “The leader’s anger done, grant me the right to die in my native country.”  I was playing along at home, and full disclosure I didn’t have a clue who this was referring too. Ultimately I wrote down: “Who was Cicero?”

Ray’s answer was revealed first: “Who is Ovid?” As Ken pointed out: “The great Roman who died in exile for writing erotic poetry that was a little too erotic.” Ray gained $8000, putting him at $21,800. Ike’s response was revealed next. He too wrote down Ovid. He wagered $13,801, enough to beat Ray. Then came Melissa who since Ray’s response had been revealed had a furtive look on her face. She had written: “Who is Juvenal?” She had bet $8201, which dropped to $13,199 and made Ike Barinholtz, a ‘producer, writer and actor from Chicago,”  a semi-finalist in the Tournament of Champions.

This is where I officially apologize to Ike Barinholtz. I am sorry that I did not think you deserved to be invited in the Tournament of Champions. I’m not certain I would extend this invitation to past winners of these tournaments but the fact that you played so well against two extremely qualified champions has clearly made me change my view of you and your fellow celebrities. It’s not that I thought you were all stupid, of course, but I was clearly letting my own biases get in the way.

I also must admit that, not having watched Celebrity Jeopardy to any real extent since at least 2004, I’ve very likely underestimated many fellow celebrities who have played over the years. I don’t know by how much or even if you and some players from the first Celebrity Tournament are the exception, but it is now more than clear, given what has happened that I must rethink what has happened.

And that will start by rewatching this past year’s Celebrity Jeopardy when it is inevitably rerun this summer. Apparently Lisa Ann Walter was the winner of the Tournament this past year and is, therefore, been invited to the next Tournament of Champions. Her work in Abbott Elementary has already made me inclined to love her and the fact that she managed to get to win this tournament makes me appreciate her even more. I don’t know when the next Tournament of Champions will take place or if they will follow the same rules as before. What I do know is that I will not dismiss Lisa’s presence going forward and will report her accurately in the next leadup. This will be part of my making amends.

And as for the writers on SNL, you may have to make at least a partial apology tour. At the very least Celebrity Jeopardy can’t be considered the automatic laugh it used to be. At least I won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment