Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Call Guiness, I'm Actually Good With Most of the Emmy Nominations This Year, Part 1: Outstanding Comedy (And Most Of Them Are)

 

If you’ve been reading my column for the last several years you know how my reactions to the Emmy nominations almost invariably are. I rant at the obligatory decision to ignore superior broadcast dramas in the place of inferior streaming ones. I howl at the decision to ignore brilliant network and cable comedies in favor of the cut-and-paste nominations from previous years. And I rant at the ridiculous level of choices for limited series.

And it’s true that when the Emmy nominations came out today, they had many of the usual flaws: Will Trent and Elsbeth were ignored, as were So Help Me Todd and Not Dead Yet. City Primeval and Billions were ignored in their final incarnations and such astonishing limited series as Masters of the Air, Mary & George and Apples Never Fall were essentially ignored. And yet having looked at the Emmy nominations for 2024 in their entirety and having had several hours to reflect on them my reaction runs from: “Better then I expected’ to ‘Pleasantly surprised.”

I know. I’m as shocked as you are and I’ve been spending the last several hours trying to figure out why I’m not disappointed, or at least not as angry as I have been at the nominations for, I don’t know, at least as long as I’ve writing for medium.

There are several related factors. The first is that I knew going in this was a year of transition for the Emmys, in part due to several critical dramas and comedies having come to the end of their runs last year, from Better Call Saul and Succession to Ted Lasso and Barry. I also knew that because of the strike that crippled Hollywood last year many of the major nominees from years past, such as Euphoria (yea!!) Squid Game, Yellowjackets, The White Lotus and on and on, were not going to be eligible this year. This was going to lead to opportunities for many series that otherwise might not have a chance, and that part of my predictions were realized in both comedy and drama.

I’ll also admit that the existence of other awards shows, most recently the Astras, has done much to negate the feeling that my favorite series will be recognized in some format along with some of my favorite actors before the Emmys take place.

There’s also the not to be ignored fact that as television enters this transitional phase, it is opening door for diversity in ways it wasn’t even a few years ago. Last year saw a record number of minority nominees across all categories, most notably Asian-Americans. This year saw another rise in a different set of minorities, including Japanese and other Asian actors and indigenous nominees. Whatever one might say about TV going forward, it is definitely becoming more diverse and that’s good for everybody.

And maybe it’s the simple that fact that in the last few years I’ve come to realize that maybe I’ve been making some bad judgments about the Emmys the whole time, particularly when it comes to drama. Given the opportunity to see many of the streaming series particularly during the long hiatus of the strike, I have come to realize that many of the biggest problems I’ve had with the Emmys over the years may very well be just that: my problems. It’s true I’ll never agree with them when it comes to Euphoria and Ozark and I’ll go to my grave happy I never watched an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm but I have to admit that I’ve made some major misjudgments over years. Those of you who read my columns last year know that I essentially spent a lot of time writing mea culpas for my failures to recognize the quality of Succession and it’s possible I may well have been wrong on other major series such as Downton Abbey. (I think my position on Game of Thrones was warranted and it looks like I’ve been proven right by history.)

Don’t worry, I’m not going to start singing hosannahs to the Emmys as an aura of perfection: as you’ll see they made their share of errors this year, some of which I do find hard to forgive. But as someone whose genuinely been pleased with the quality of the winning shows and actors over the last three years in particular has to acknowledge that this is progress in every sense of the word.

Of course, that’s just for this year. If I’m still happy when Euphoria and the other HBO dramas return to the forefront next year once the strike is well and truly behind us…well, one year at a time. Anyway here are my reactions. I’ll start with comedy.

 

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

HURRAY! Reservation Dogs was nominated for five Emmys this year! Took you long enough, Emmys. I’ll admit I would have wanted more, but that’s still one more then Curb Your Enthusiasm.

No surprise as to who the big dogs are in the nominations. The Bear leads all comers with 23 nominations. In second place somewhat less surprisingly Only Murders in the Building. Hacks and Abbott Elementary are more than well represented as you’ll see below. I’m going to get Palm Royale starting next week. I’m not shocked that What We Do In the Shadows is here; I may have predicted it would be. No Young Sheldon or Ghosts but that’s what the Astras is for.

 

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

So there were six nominees after all instead of five. Good.

Well Jeremy Allen White, Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Larry David were going to be there. I’m overjoyed that they chose to nominate D’Pharaoh Woon-A-Tai for Reservation Dogs. Matt Berry for What We Do In The Shadows has been here before and he’s probably a better choice than Kelsey Grammer or Theo James.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

The three favorites in this category: Quinta Brunson, Ayo Edebiri and Jean Smart will be battling it out. I’m so glad Selena Gomez is in the hunt at least. Am I upset Devery Jacobs was ignored for her work in Reservation Dogs? Yes, but it would be petty consider Woon-A-Tai was acknowledged. Besides it was likely that Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig were going to be in ahead of her. Wiig and Rudolph double dipped for their brilliant guest host appearances on SNL and they are two of my favorites. This may be the most diverse Best Actress in a Comedy field in history, even with Jacobs absent. About time.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Bad news. They only nominated six actors. Good news: one of them was Paul W. Downs for Hacks.

Downs, Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Tyler James Williams will no doubt be fighting it out. I predicted Paul Rudd being here; I thought Kenan Thompson would represent SNL. Can’t exactly complain about Bowen Yang. And having seen the ‘Honeydew’ episode of The Bear, yeah, Lionel Boyce earned it. Another very diverse category.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Well, I did predict four of these six nominees would be here, though it would have been hard not to expect Sheryl Lee Ralph, Janelle James, Hannah Einbinder and Meryl Streep. I’ll admit I got my nominee from The Bear wrong but Liza Colon-Zayas deserved it as much as Abby Elliot. And considering how angry I was Carol Burnett was ignored by the Emmys for Better Call Saul last year, I’m fine with her being nominated for Palm Royale.

 

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Bob Odenkirk got the Emmy he was denied for Better Call Saul for The Bear? Of course, he’ll have to face off against Jon Bernthal and Will Poulter from that series. Ryan Gosling deserves everything for making even the cast crack up on SNL and I have no problem with Matthew Broderick or Christopher Lloyd getting nominated for anything.

 

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS

I know. It’s going to go to Jamie Lee Curtis for The Bear. But as for the rest…

Always glad to see Olivia Colman and Kaitlin Olson here (you’ll win in this category someday) Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig are here and perhaps Da-Vine Joy Randolph will achieve something that Emma Stone can’t and Robert Downey very well might: win an Oscar and an Emmy in the same year.

As for writing and directing:

The Bear is likely to win in at least one of these categories (possibly both) for Fishes. Abbott Elementary is represented in both for different episodes as is Hacks. Girls5eva and The Other Two got deserved love for writing. The Bear is here twice; Guy Ritchie is represented for The Gentleman. I’ll never understand the love for Ms. Pat though I do get the love for Shadows.

 

Tomorrow I move on to Drama where I’m actually happier than comedy. (I know, hell’s freezing over as we speak.)

No comments:

Post a Comment