Thursday, July 11, 2024

My Joyous Reactions to the 2024 Astra TV Nominations, Conclusion: Limited Series et al

 

Last year I was overjoyed by almost all the Limited Series nominated. This year I have the biggest problems with it.

In the last two years the Astras divided its nominees between Broadcast/Cable and Streaming. This year, for whatever reason, they’ve decided to combine both categories. To be fair, they’ve also expanded all the nominees to ten in every category which does make up for it but it has led to some incredible blind spots.

The most glaring, in my opinion, is the complete shutout of Capote Vs. The Swans. This is a striking reversal because two years ago the Astras were the only group to give recognition to American Crime Story: Impeachment which every other awards group ignored. That they somehow chose to ignore a different installment of another Murphy series – one far more likely to be recognized by the Emmys next week – is the biggest blunder they’ve made this cycle. Oh well. They ignored The Patient and Love & Death last year. Nobody’s perfect.

Because there is a significant overlap involving TV movies, I’m going to go over all of the nominated films as well. Some of their nominations make sense. Others, well, judge for yourself. Anyway let’s get started.

 

BEST LIMITED SERIES

The Astras get in my good graces right off the start by recognizing Apples Never Fall. Most of the other nominees follow the likely nominees this year – True Detective, Fargo, Baby Reindeer, Ripley and Lessons in Chemistry. Fellow Travelers deserves to be. Black Mirror will no doubt contend in the movie category and The Fall of the House of Usher was favored by the Critics’ Choice.

If there is one that seems an aberration it is Hulu’s We Were The Lucky Ones. While it is a great series, I believe not only Feud but Monsieur Spade and A Gentleman In Moscow were superior. (Although in the case of the latter, it wasn’t left out.)

 

BEST TV MOVIE

The obvious ones among these are Mr. Monk’s Last Case, No One Will Save You, Quiz Lady and Red White and Royal Blue, all of which have received multiple nominations in the past year from many groups. I won’t comment on the remainder but I am miffed by the fact that The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial isn’t here at all.

 

Best Actress in a Limited Series of TV Movie

Aside from the absence of Naomi Watts, I can’t fault most of these choices. Brie Larson, Jodie Foster and Juno Temple are likely going to be fighting it out in the days to come; Kaitlyn Dever and Awkwafina received nominations from the Critics Choice Awards for their work in TV movies and Carla Gugino is riding House of Usher. I have no problem with Sandra Oh here (though I’d have preferred it if she was nominated for The Sympathizer, which was mostly ignored) and I’m obviously not going to complain that Annette Bening is here.

My bigger problems are that Alaqua Cox and Joey King have been listed not just about Watts but Julianne Moore for Mary and George another limited series ignored by the Astras.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES

Well obviously I’m not going to fault them for including Ewan McGregor since I dared not even think he be nominated by the Emmys. Andrew Scott, Matt Bomer, Jon Hamm and Richard Gadd were all inevitable. Tony Shalhoub and David Oyelowo got nominated by the Critics’ Choice.

The other three -  I’m fine with Nicholas Galitzine being nominated, if for Red, White and Royal Blue. But I can’t in good conscience endorse either of the nominees for Fall of the House of Usher. That not only Tom Hollander but such brilliant choices as Clive Owen and Kiefer Sutherland were ignored in favor of them is something I can’t easily overlook.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES

If one can forgive the absence of the Swans, this is an excellent category. I advocated for both Alison Brie and Mary Elizabeth Winstead and I’m overjoyed both have been included.

This is the most diverse category of the group: Lily Gladstone is included for Under the Bridge as well as Kali Reis for True Detective. Nava Mau is present along with Jessica Gunning for Baby Reindeer and Aja Naomi King and Dakota Fanning made the cut. I might chafe at the idea of Diane Lane and Chloe Sevigny being ignored for Riley Keough for Under the Bridge and Mary McDonnell for Usher but I can’t complain that much. However the most glaring aberration, in my opinion, is that Jennifer Jason Leigh was excluded when everyone else in Fargo was nominated. Oh well.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES

First the right choices. Robert Downey Jr., (The Sympathizer’s lone nominee) Lewis Pullman, Jonathan Bailey and Joe Keery for Fargo. Let’s parse the rest.

I can understand why True Detective would have a presence here, even if Christopher Eccleston and Finn Bennett are present but not John Hawkes. I have no trouble with Joe Keery being here for Fargo and it makes sense Tom Goodman-Hill is included for Baby Reindeer.

But nothing for Treat Williams or Sam Neill? Some of the other choices strike me as extremely eclectic: Mark Ruffalo is the only nominee for All The Light We Cannot See and I don’t know what John Cena is doing here. I’m an admirer of Jason Schwartzman but he should have been nominated three years ago for Fargo not at the expense of Sam Spruell or Dave Foley.

 

BEST WRITING AND DIRECTING IN A TV MOVIE

Richard Gadd and Issa Lopez wrote every episode of Baby Reindeer and True Detective, so it makes sense both are nominated there as well as Lopez’s nomination for directing. Noah Hawley is nominated for Fargo. Quiz Lady, Red, White and Royal Blue and Mr. Monk’s Last Case are nominated in both categories (which makes sense, considering) and since Steven Zaillian directed every episode of Ripley his inclusion makes sense. Lessons in Chemistry is nominated in both categories for different episodes as was Fall of the House of Usher. No One Will Save You was nominated for direction (again this makes sense) and Fellow Travelers was nominated for its writing. Now that I know Chelsea Peretti wrote First Time Female Director I’m fine with both the film and her getting nominations.

 

Now let’s deal with some of the ephemera.

In animated series, I’m thrilled to see X-Men 97 in the hunt with the return of Clone High facing off against Harley Quinn and The Simpsons. I can’t speak for anime, but it does my heart good to see Scott Pilgrim Takes Off among the freshman nominees along with Blue Eye Samurai.

In Documentary, the ones that please me the most are Albert Brooks: Defending My Life and In Restless Dreams: The Music of Paul Simon. I don’t need to go over my arguments for Game Shows.

In standup, I’m always glad to see Jenny Slate and Tig Notaro, and I hope the presence of Dave Chapelle and Ricky Gervais won’t lead people to cancel the Astras.

In Best Talk Series, the usual suspects are all present save for Bill Maher, which makes me happy to see him ignored for Hot Ones. I’m glad to see the Oscars and SAG awards among variety, thrilled to see Dick Van Dyke here. I’m also glad to see so much love for X-Men 97 among voice over performance.

That’s all for now and that’s the end of the pre-Emmy coverage. Next week I’ll react to the Emmy nominations which I know going in won’t make me nearly as happy as the nominations here. (Then again, they will probably at least recognize Slow Horses and Feud, but still…)

No comments:

Post a Comment