Wednesday, January 9, 2019

My Hopes for Critics Choice... Sigh: Part 1, Dramas


As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, I considered the Critics Choice Awards among the most eccentric and enjoyable awards, particularly when it comes to television. I was especially looking forward to it this year, but now it seems that fate has thrown me a curve/
Due to some kind of conflict between Spectrum (my cable provider) and Tribune Networks (the service that provides many channels – among them Channel 11) I am currently not receiving the CW. Oh A & E, why did you surrender the rights to the Broadcast Critics. It’s not like they were doing much better on the CW.
I am hoping they will resolve this before Sunday, but I am not optimistic. This is a great pity, because it now seems the Broadcast Critics will be influential in regard to this year's Oscars as well. Sure, I’ll be able to catch it on streaming or YouTube, but it won’t be the same.
Nevertheless, I will soldier on. It’s always difficult for me to try to handicap the Broadcast Critics as dance to the beat of a drum that makes the HFPA seem rhythmic. But that’s kind of what I find appealing about them. I’ll start with the Dramas.

BEST DRAMA
This is actually a little tougher than the Golden Globes, considering that Better Call Saul and The Good Fight are among the nominees, and that Killing Eve is slowly becoming one of my favorite series. But I think the end result will be the same as the Golden Globes, albeit for different reasons.
The Broadcast Critics have always been generous to The Americans. As I’ve mentioned, they gave it a Best Drama prize a full year before the Emmys even nominated it. And considering its established itself as one of the greatest series of all time. I think it’s going to easily triumph tonight.
Should Win/Will Win: The Americans.

BEST ACTOR, DRAMA SERIES
This is a tougher field than the Golden Globes, particularly considering that Madden surprisingly triumphed for Bodyguard earlier this week, and Bob Odenkirk, who has already won twice in this category, is present. That’s without counting Milo Ventimiglia who may well be a dark horse in this category.
It’s probably going to go to Rhys – every argument I made for him in the Golden Globes applies as much here. Still, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t pulling for Bob Odenkirk, who is very close to reaching the same pinnacles that Bryan Cranston did in Better Call Saul.
Should Win: Odenkirk/Rhys
Will Win: Rhys.

BEST ACTRESS, DRAMA
This is even trickier than the field in the Golden Globes. Yes, Oh deservedly triumphed over mostly the same field on Sunday. But she wasn’t competing against someone nearly as good as her – her co-star Jodie Comer, whose work as Villanelle is just as good as Oh’s and maybe even better. They very well could split the vote.
I would like to Maggie Gyllenhaal prevail for her superb work in The Deuce, if only for the season finale. But I think the division will lead to one of the other strong actresses – most like Julia Roberts for her fine work in Homecoming. No matter who wins, it’ll be a great night for women.
Should Win: Comer/Gyllenhaal.
Will Win: Roberts.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, DRAMA
These categories are always a lot of fun to watch – usually because the Critics Choice will recognize the underdogs and ignored. Four of the actors in this category are some of my favorite working in television today, and I’d love to see one prevail.
My personal preference is Asia Kate Dillon for their superb work as Taylor on Billions. I know they may not like being qualified in this category, but I’ll take whatever I can get to see them win. That said, my personal preference remains Noah Emmerich for The Americans. For six superb seasons, his work as FBI agent Stan Beaman was one of the most brilliant lights in a great cast. He deserves to win – if for no other reason than his extraordinary work in the confrontation scene in the garage. It’s television history and he deserves to be acknowledged for his part in it.
Should Win: Emmerich.
Will Win: Emmerich.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, DRAMA
Another tough category to fathom. It could theoretically go to last year’s Emmy winner, Thandie Newton – she’s won in this category before against tougher competition. But as you can never accurately get Supporting Awards, I’ll go out on a limb.
Holly Taylor’s work as Paige was a  master class of acting, particularly in the final season, and I’d like to see her prevail. But there’s another unrecoginized talent in this category whose more than earned it. Rhea Seehorn’s work in Better Call Saul has been one of the more undervalued performances, particularly as her love for Jimmy comes into conflict with the corruption overcoming his nature. And as Kim’s relation to him finally came to a breaking point, it was a truly sad moment for this character and the series. I think she deserves to win something, and this is the Awards group to lead the way.
Should Win: Taylor.
Will Win: Seehorn.



No comments:

Post a Comment