Thursday, January 10, 2019

My Picks For This Year's Critics Choice, Part 2: Comedies


BEST COMEDY SERIES
Now that The Kominsky Method won the Golden Globe, it has to be considered one of the major contenders. However, the competition is harsher here with Atlanta, one of the best series of last year in the category, as well as The Middle, a series that this group has loved and may want to honor.
I still think The Good Place deserves to win for its consistent excellence. But Atlanta is a far deeper and more engaging series that was basically ignored by the Emmys. I’m thinking that this year, the Critics, who have been advocating for it, will recognize it.
Should Win: The Good Place.
Will Win: Atlanta.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Michael Douglas is facing, if anything, even tougher competition than he did at the Globes. Danson, last year’s winner, has been nearly as good this year, and Glover deserves to get recognize as well. Frankly, so should Andy Samberg, and the Critics have really liked Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
This is an ever tougher category to plumb than before, and I do know this is an organization that occasionally has ties.  I think it comes down to a choice between Glover and Danson, and I’m going to give Glover the barest of edges.
Should Win: Glover/Danson.
Will Win: Glover.

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Could Rachel Brosnahan do that rarest of feats, and duplicate her win last year? She did at the Golden Globes, but the competition is a bit tougher here.
Let’s work backwards. Allison Janney has drunk from this well a little too often, and Justina Machado hasn’t exactly been loved by this group. Debra Messing lingers as a dark horse, but I think the nomination will count for more. I think it will come down to a showdown between the two hyphenates in this category, Rachel Bloom for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Issa Rae for Insecure. I’d like to see Bloom prevail because, well, I love everything she does. But Rae is just as talented and nearly as fun. I give her the barest of edges, knowing that it’s just as likely the Broadcast Critics will find Brosnahan Marvelous once again.
Should Win: Bloom.
Will Win: Brosnahan/Rae.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
As I said in a dramas, this is a hard category to try and figure out. All of the nominees, with the possible exception of Hayes, are very worthy. So I’ll try and break this one down by my personal preference.
William Jackson Harper has earned a win for his incredible work as Chidi on The Good Place, though his character would probably have a hard time admitting he’d deserve it. Tony Shalhoub is doing his best work in decades in Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Henry Winkler deserves to prevail for Barry. And Bryan Tyree Henry has remarkable depth as Paperboy. Oh boy. Eenie, meenie… I’m going to go with Shalhoub, whose exasperated father is one of the few characters on this series who hasn’t been given an award yet.
Should Win: Harper.
Will Win: Shalhoub (possibly)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
I have a lot less invested in this category then just about all the others, but that doesn’t mean there still might be some fun times with mother and daughter Laurie Metcalf and Zoe Perry competing for the same award. Considering the stink hanging over The Conners, though, I think Metcalf is out of the running.
I may not be interested, but this is just as strong a field. My personal preference would be for Betty Gilpin to prevail for her superb work on GLOW which the Broadcast Critics have strangely chosen to shut out this time around. But I think it more likely it’ll go to an industry veteran  - either Annie Potts for her work on Young Sheldon or Rita Moreno for One Day at a Time. I’ll give the edge to Potts. The Critics like recognizing Big Bang Theory in this category. Absent that, a nominee from  Young Sheldon is the next best thing.
Should Win: Gilpin.
Will Win: Potts (maybe)



No comments:

Post a Comment