Friday, January 4, 2019

My Picks For This Years Golden Globes TV: Part 1


As I seem to say every year around this time, the Golden Globes are the hardest awards show to handicap. They have a tendency to go for newer and shinier things rather than the staid patterns that the Emmys (until recently) have held fast too. Admittedly last year, they held a bit too close to the Emmys for my own good, but with a new slew of nominees, there’s little chance of that this year. They may even be able to do something they rarely get a chance to do: make up for a couple of last year’s shortcomings.
So here are my predictions for this year’s Golden Globes.

BEST TV DRAMA
In an aberration for these awards in general, this may be the easiest pick of the night. Granted, since the nominations came out, I’ve seen more than my share of episodes of both Killing Eve and Homecoming, and am more than willing to consider them among the best series of last year.
But it’s still an easy choice. In its final season, The Americans not only delivered one of the greatest conclusion to any series of last year, but cemented itself as one of the greatest series of all times. Considering the Golden Globes mostly ignored it during its run, I have feeling that, like with Breaking Bad’s final season, they will make up for their errors with this one.
Should Win/Will Win: The Americans

BEST ACTOR IN A TV DRAMA
I would normally fault the Golden Globes for basically duplicating the Emmys when it came to giving a major award. But in this case, I will definitely make an exception. Matthew Rhys’ performance as Philip Jennings has been one of the great male performances in television, up there with Walter White and Don Draper. Were Sterling Brown or Bob Odenkirk in this category, I might argue the point. But the competitions not as strong, and even if it were better, Rhys would still deserve it.
Should Win/Will Win: Rhys

BEST ACTRESS IN A TV DRAMA
In contrast, this is a much stronger category than Best Actor, and I actually would understand and could even see why a rival should win. Now, I think that Keri Russell’s work as Elizabeth was at least the equal of Rhys, and is deserving of a trophy. But I think it more likely that one of her competitors will triumph. Both Julia Roberts and Sandra Oh gave superb performances in their respective series (though I do think Jodie Comer should have been included for the latter show). But considering that Oh is the host, and that no Asian born actor has ever won for a lead role in a series (though Oh did triumph in a supporting category), I think it likely Sandra Oh will end up prevailing.
Should Win: Russell.
Will Win: Oh.

BEST TV COMEDY/MUSICAL
This, by contrast, is a far trickier category to navigate than was Best Drama. I thought that both Kidding and Barry are solid entries, and other years would probably win. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is coming off a big win at the Emmys, but there hasn’t been a repeat in this category for a very long time.
I’m going to give the barest of edges to my personal favorite The Good Place. I want it to win, because its been one of the more brilliant series on TV for quite some time, and the episode it used to finish the season was one of the highlights of the year. Besides, I think the Hollywood Foreign Press will want to give an award to the networks, and this is practically their only chance.
Should Win: The Good Place.
Will Win: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel/The Good Place.

Kidding (2018)

BEST ACTOR IN A TV COMEDY
An even harder choice than the previous one. Donald Glover got snubbed by the Emmys this year for his brilliant second season of Atlanta. Bill Hader is the actor who beat him. And Jim Carrey’s work on Kidding was one of the most quietly funny and moving performances I saw last year.
My personal preference is for Carrey, because he was good, and he’s been gone for awhile. But I think it more likely that the Globes will recognize Glover, who had an even better year than everyone else.
Should Win: Carrey.
Will Win: Glover.

BEST ACTRESS IN A TV COMEDY
Tough call. Candice Bergen and Debra Messing have no real chance here. Allison Brie really should be higher up on the list of contenders, but for some reason, hers was the only nomination that GLOW got. So I think it will come down to Kristen Bell or Rachel Brosnahan.
I really want it to go to Bell, who has been quietly ignored by every major award group for nearly fifteen years, and whose work on The Good Place is a personal triumph. But I think in this case, the Globes will go to a safer choice, and recognize the undeniably, well, marvelous Rachel Brosnahan again. I just hope Bell gets another shot.
Should Win: Bell.
Will Win: Brosnahan.

No comments:

Post a Comment