Monday, February 13, 2023

My Delayed (But Still Mostly Favorable) Reaction to the NAACP Image Awards TV Nominations

 

Last year, for the first time in my career of examining awards shows, I took a fairly deep dive into the NAACP Image Nominations as they pertained to television. I had been aware of them for more than a decade but for reasons that should be obvious (particularly if you’ve looked at the picture in my profile) I didn’t quite feel fit to evaluate them. More to the point, quite a few of the series even then I had not watched more due to my not receiving the cable services that cover them. So I was prepared to ignore them yet again – and then I actually looked at the actors and series they nominated.

And I was impressed. Not just because they were recognizing series I have worshipped but the Emmys pretty much ignored – black-ish, This is Us, Insecure – as well as actors whose work I’ve admired for years – Regina Hall, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker – but because they were nominated the kind of series you’d think the Emmys should have been nominating for a while. It’s kind of bad form to pretend that series like the Power franchise and All-American don’t exist mainly because you seem to be ignoring the networks they appear on, especially when the Emmys just fine acknowledging series that don’t appear on television in the traditional sense of the word anymore. Starz did better in one year than they’ve ever done in over a decade of looking at the Emmys critically and that’s even if you want to only consider the monochrome series such as Outlander, Magic City or Gaslit.  Not that they’d have to try that hard, but they keep making you look bad.

So I decided to take a look at this year’s nominations, expecting that given the rise of so many minority based programs, the Images might do an even better job. Good thing I got there before they actually air next Saturday. Here are my reactions, starting with drama:

Outstanding Drama Series

I guess I shouldn’t be shocked to see Euphoria and Bridgerton here. I am happier to see P-Valley getting recognized because that’s a tougher market. Queen Sugar has been a constant, and give them credit for acknowledging Bel-Air. I won’t deny I’m sad not to see either This is Us or Snowfall here, but one can you do.

 

Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series

Sterling Brown back for one last right, maybe he’ll win. Most of the leads are good candidates, especially Damson Idris for Snowfall and Nicco Annan for P-Valley. Sole disappointment: no Forest Whitaker.

 

Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series

I shouldn’t be surprised Zendaya is here, so I’ll settle for evaluating her competition. I am glad to see Queen Latifah and Angela Bassett present, and glad to see P-Valley and Queen Sugar in the ranks. I think we all know who the winner will be.

 

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama

Now I’m disappointed not to see Giancarlo Esposito present (though he did get nominated later on) or Andre Braugher. That said, I am glad to see Caleb McLaughin get recognized for Stranger Things. I’ll withhold comment on the rest.

 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in A Drama

Thrilled to see Susan Kelechi Watson back one last time, and I’ve always admired both Loretta Devine and Bianca Lawson. Will leave the rest alone.

 

As for Directing and Writing, well I’m happier. I’m thrilled to see The Good Fight recognized twice in writing and Women in the Movement deserves all the nominations in gets in both categories. (I am thrilled it was recognized in Drama. Glad to see Esposito acknowledged for directing Better Call Saul and a huge fan of Kasi Lemmons, glad she was nominated too. Credit for Ptolemy Grey who deserved more love.

 

On to comedy where I’m much happier.

 

Outstanding Comedy Series

My sole question is black-ish’s presence when it concluded in early February. Otherwise no complaints. No one will argue with Abbott Elementary or Atlanta; I’m thrilled to see The Wonder Years here, and I have no, well, sh!t about Rap Shit.

 

Outstanding Actor in a Comedy

No complaints here either. Anthony Anderson, Donald Glover, and Dule Hill more than earned it, few would question the presence of Cedric the Entertainer and I’m fine with Mike Epps for The Upshaws.

Outstanding Actress in a Comedy

No one would dare question Quinta Brunson or Tracee Ellis Ross, Maya Rudolph is a national treasure and I’m fine with Tichina Arnold being here. Is there a law that says Loretta Devine must always be nominated? Oh well.

 

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy

And I still have no problems. I would never question the presence of Bryan Tyree Henry, Kenan Thompson or Tyler James Williams, I’m more than happy to see William Stanford Davis get recognized here and I never have an issue with Deon Cole getting nominated for anything.

 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy

Slight problem here. No problem with Janelle James or Sheryl Lee Ralph. Marsai Martin and Jenifer Lewis are trickier but I get it. But why was Wanda Sykes nominated over Ayo Edebiri for The Bear or Zazie Beetz for Atlanta? Was it because their work was not quite considered comedy? Just asking.

 

Outstanding Writing No Problem with any of them really, though I’m slightly disappointed not to see Atlanta here. Still if they’re going to nominate Hacks and The Bear, I’m fine. And they did nominate Atlanta for directing and were good enough to nominate Black Lady Sketch Show and Flight Attendant.

I’m actually happier with many of the TV movies Limited Series Nods, so I’ll go into them here.

I was glad to see Women of The Movement get the recognition it deserved as well as The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. Did they go a bit overboard with Best Man: Final chapters? Perhaps, but I’m not in their audience and I never have a problem with Regina Hall, Terrence Howard or Morris Chestnut getting nominated for anything. I was glad to see somebody acknowledge Viola Davis for The First Lady and glad to see Glynn Turman get recognized for his superb work on Women in the Movement. And I’m thrilled to see Niecy Nash-Betts get her due for Dahmer, and I kind of hope she wins.

As for other nominations, I expect to see Colman Domingo triumph for his work on Euphoria as he did at the Emmys this September. And I would be grateful if Elisha Williams wins for Best Performance by a Youth for The Wonder Years. (By the way ABC when does Season 2 premiere? Starting to get nervous.). And as we all know Quinta Brunson will triumph for Breakthrough Creative on Television as she has every other awards show this year. I also hope W. Kamau Bell gets a prize for making us talk about Cosby.

In two weeks, I will deal with the winners and my reactions, but expect my predictions for the SAG awards first. There I think I’m on firmer ground.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment