Thursday, April 27, 2023

Censorship Series Codicil, A Personal Digression

 

I was planning to write the next article in the series about the importance of systemic change over the cosmetic ones  and why so many people seem to think the two are equivalent. But in order to explain why I feel this way, I believe it is important to understand that I am not coming at this from a view of pure detachment.

As reluctant as I have been to discuss my personal life in this blog, I now realize that in this series in particular it is important to make clear that this is not an issue that I take lightly. I do in fact have skin in this game, and that’s why I think so many groups and people are fighting the wrong battles. So here goes.

When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with what was then referred to as  a mild form of autism. When I was in college, the terminology had shifted to ‘Asperger’s Syndrome’ and it remained that way for the next twenty years. A few years ago its was changed to autism spectrum disorder, and you now refer to yourself as being ‘on the spectrum’.

It was not until my mid-twenties that my social and personal life began to improve. I joined a series of organizations that helped people with my kind of disabilities, and slowly but surely gathered both a support system and an increasingly large circle of friends. After spending my entire childhood and a fair amount of my adulthood utterly unwilling to change any aspect of my life to make it easier for others, I slowly became more and more flexible when it came to scheduling my routines with other people. From almost never willing to do anything outside of my house, I now have an active social life where I interact with friends and even strangers on a daily basis. I have managed to hold down jobs and personal relationships, something I could not have comprehended when I was younger.

I mention all of this because while I have fundamentally been aware of the gradual acceptance and inclusion of people on the spectrum in the world at large, at no point have I ever thought the change in how we are referred to played any part in it, certainly not when it came to my own life. Has my life improved dramatically during the period when the language was shifting? Yes. Correlation rarely equals causation, and I have never believed in this case.

I have often gotten into conflicts with members of my own peer group in this regard. Indeed, it was in a conversation with one where I came up with the terminology of ‘cosmetic changes’ rather than systemic ones. I really don’t believe in my heart of hearts that our lives become easier because of how people refer to us. Perhaps it is clearer when offensive terms and hate speech disappear from the language, but I’ve never seen any evidence that makes our individual struggles easier. (And I have never held that nicer terms do anything to change a person’s privates thoughts. They might be willing to say your on the spectrum in front of you, but in private they might very well call you a retard.)

This leaves aside the idea that the Overton Window on what is considered ‘offensive’ seems to always be shifting every few years. Cripple was a part of the lexicon for years; then it was set aside for handicap until that was considered offensive; now disability is considered too strong. All of this is based on not wanted to let your overwhelming characteristic define who you are. The problem is, in the case of so many minorities, that’s not enough and never well be. Black was fine for years; then people insisted on African-American, now some are going to black. Same with Latin American, then Latino, then LatinX. There used to be just gay, then gay and lesbian, the LGBTQ+ and I expect the term to change again. It’s bad when one actually uses an offensive term, but it’s not much better when the term you’ve been using is now considered offensive even if you’ve been using what you thought was the acceptable one.

This would  be bad enough on its own, and its worst still when even the idea of debating the concept of change is de facto considered offensive or hate speech. What I find infinitely more troubling is the concept that somehow changing how you are referred to as a person or a group is considered systemic change instead of merely cosmetic change. Because when it comes to civil rights – and that is what all of these groups are arguing for – the loudest voices seem to argue that who you are referred to is some kind of victory for ‘the cause’ when it is the barest of cosmetic changes.

I’d actually call it worse because in the best case scenario, it is posturing. Who was it really a victory for when it became decided that pronouns were a major obstacle to those who do not identify by either gender? I don’t think it even meets the standards of a moral victory, and its barely those of an individual one. I’ll actually be going into much more detail on this in the next article in this series, but for now let’s just dealing with it in the abstract sense. Assume that you manage to non-binary people manage to get universal acceptance for ‘they, them and theirs’ as pronouns. How does that make things better for your cause? Does this reduce the legislative threats that are restricting your rights? Does it make you more accepted by the bigots who already hate you? Does it make any easier to get employment or get promoted? All you’ve done is change how people talk about you in a certain situation. If you really consider this some kind of victory, I don’t think you have any understanding of what a victory is. The people who agree to do this – it doesn’t cost them anything to say this. And you have no idea whether they even think any better of you.

All of this strikes me as laughable, particularly in my case. If a ‘Weight Watchers’ ad aired that said: “For years I said I had Aspergers and my life was miserable. Now I say I’m on the spectrum….and look me now!” We laugh at these kinds of ads every time we see them, and to be clear there is no difference between changing how your outward appearance and how you are referred to when it comes to personal happiness or indeed long-term success. Hell, these days in the age of body positivity, we’d consider an organization like Weight Watchers a hate group because it was denouncing a group of people. So why should any similar cosmetic change be considered any kind of short-term or long-term improvement?

Let me ask a question to every person in a minority group. (And in case the term ‘minority’ is now considered hate speech, let’s consider it as a mathematical term. Don’t pretend any of you represent more than fifty-one percent of the population.)

LatinX, are your lives better off now that you don’t have to bear the burden of being called ‘Latin-Americans’ anymore? African-Americans, do police pull you over less often now that you don’t refer to yourselves as blacks? LGBTQ+ community, are you now not subjected to same slanted looks and bigotry when you hold the hand of your partner in public as you did before you were just gays and lesbians?

Don’t pretend this is a rhetorical question or that it’s a false equivalence. If you truly think that changing how the rest of the country refers to you in public is  a war you want to wage,  a battle that is as important as received full equality under the law, then you’d better make it very clear. If this is a battlefield you want to die on, that’s the only way you can explain to me why this is something you have to fight for more then voting for people who share your interests or organizing for social causes or battling for full equality under the law. And if you do, you have to explain why it’s more important to win the cosmetic battle first, and then concentrate on the systematic ones.

I have spent many articles and pages arguing fundamentally for consensus and compromise and while some might argue that I don’t understand these issues because of my race, gender, or sexuality, let me put it historically. For much of America’s history the doctrine of the land, put into words by the Supreme Court in one of their worst decisions was ‘separate but equal.’  That law and doctrine was eventually overturned. Now however the basic doctrine of every group related to identity politics seems fundamentally to come down to being treated as ‘separate and equal.’ This is no way for a society to try and exist, and yet somehow, that seems to be the idea behind identity politics. African-Americans seem to think their considerations must be prioritized over LatinX, who think their priorities must supplant LGBTQ+, etc. That there is likely overlap between these groups, that their interests might coincide in the overall picture, rarely seems to matter to the loudest voice. It is my group first, everyone else second, and society a dead last. And that leads to loud and vehement disagree of every single subject – including what outsiders call your tribe.

I’ve decried everybody on this blog who stakes their claim based on who they are and what they think needs to be done to help them. They will claim they are speaking for a larger subsection of society, but they’re actually talking about what they themselves want for themselves, no matter how unrealistic or impossible it may be. So before I go any further, I’ll tell you the truth who I am and I want.

My name is David. I’m a critic, primarily of television, but recently expanding to movies, books, history, popular culture and our society.

I suffer from a disability whose name keeps changing. It has never defined me. I do not use it as an excuse for my failings or my successes. I define myself through my likes, my family and my friends. The latter group is very diverse, racially, sexually, generationally and in perhaps the biggest taboo these days, politically. I don’t agree with any of these people a hundred percent of time; at most I agree with any one of them thirty percent of the time. I believe it is our differences that should be celebrated as much – if not more – than our similarities.

Whatever benchmarks you define yourself by – politically, generational, sexual, religious – are nobody’s business but my own. They form my opinions as much as yours do.

As for what I would like done for my tribe, which is at the core of so many of these articles. I want people who are part of it and people who aren’t part of it to work together to help people like me. I want you to make things easier for people like me to find jobs, to find homes, to get promoted. I want you work together to provide a place so that future generations of people like me have a better path forward than I do, that they face fewer obstacles than I do, then they have  a place to go to know they’re not alone in the world.

In order to do this, everyone must contribute. They must give money; they must create agencies and legislation that will make life for me and others like me easier. They must vote for people who not only have my problems but people who will help work to get these problems solved. They must have the patience to work within the system that forms obstacles for people like me and others who have similar issues in their lives. They must understand that this will take patience and time but they must persevere and understand that systemic change is slow and incremental and does not provide quick fixes for anyone. It will be frustrated and maddening for everybody, but they must be willing to not only do the work but understand what the work really is and what it consists of. They must see the setbacks as merely setbacks and not causes for surrender.

It will not be easy. It will not be done quickly. But it is what is best, not only for me and people like me but for all people.

And once we have gotten all the systematic changes we need to make things better for people like me, once we have done the work that makes life better for us, then I’m willing to talk about something cosmetic and relatively trivial as to what term makes the most people comfortable about what to call us.

That is what I consider systematic change. In my next article in this series, I’ll make the argument for what seems to be  a prime battlefield of something that is purely cosmetic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment