Sunday, July 16, 2023

My Reaction To This Year's Emmy Nominations, Part 2: Comedy

 

Before I get into comedy, a little advice to the Emmys.  Is there a reason you are stuck on five nominations for Lead Actor and Actress?  All the other categories have room for more than five. It’s not like there’s a shortage of eligible performers in each category.  And you were fine with six or more for nearly a decade? Why are you going backwards? Especially since you found room for six last year?

Otherwise I’m less disappointed here than I was for Drama. I was hoping that the Emmys would find room for Reservation Dogs or Somebody Somewhere but there’s still time for them next year (though no much in the latter case). Mostly I’m fine with these choices.

Here we go.

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

I predicted correctly that Abbott Elementary, The Bear, Barry, Only Murders in the Building and Wednesday would be here and am thrilled to be right. I am not shocked to see Ted Lasso or The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel here.

The major surprise is Jury Duty, which I’m not sure if it even fits the traditional definition of Comedy series. However, considering that other awards shows – including the TCA and HCA gave it several nominations – I will be watching it later. My bigger objection is that it was nominated over Poker Face and Dead to Me.  Still, this is a better job that usual and they did nominate the cream of the crop. I’m happier with this than with Drama.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY

No one would argue that Jeremy Allan White, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader and Martin Short don’t belong here. Few would debate the presence of Jason Segel, I wouldn’t without seeing Shrinking. But again, why are there only five when last year the Emmys found room for six? Couldn’t they have found room for Steve Martin, Donald Glover or Bob Odenkirk? The HCA came up with twelve more than qualified nominees but they’re back to six here? For shame.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Again, I am troubled by the quantity of the nominees rather than the quality. I am thrilled to see Christina Applegate, Quinta Brunson, Jenna Ortega and Natasha Lyonne here. I have no problem with Rachel Brosnahan being here. But they couldn’t find room for Selena Gomez, Bridget Everett or Linda Cardellini? You’re not helping your cause.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

I certainly wouldn’t argue against Henry Winkler or Tyler James Williams. By acknowledging Anthony Carrigan, the Emmys is one up on the HCA. Ebon Moss-Bachrach is better than I expected the Emmys to do. I would have been shocked if Brett Goldstein wasn’t here for Ted Lasso and while I’m not thrilled to see  Phil Dunster over Jeremy Swift or Brendan Hunt, I’m fine with him instead of Nick Mohammed.

James Marsden for Jury Duty? Hmm. I’m glad he’s nominated. I would have rather him been nominated for Dead to Me but I’m glad he’s here. I do question his presence instead of Tony Shalhoub or Harrison Ford for Shrinking, but Shalhoub’s already won for Mrs. Maisel and I think Ford will get another chance.  I’m okay with this group.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Thrilled as always to see Janelle James, Sheryl Lee Ralph and Ayo Edebiri. Was expecting to see Alex Borstein, Juno Temple and Hannah Waddingham back for one last battle.

I don’t know what to think of Jessica Williams for Shrinking. Clearly I now have to see the series and I will do so at one point. It certainly got enough nominations in critical categories to merit. I’m disappointed there is nothing for Christina Ricci or Lisa Ann Walter but they’ll get another chance. Marin Hinkle, story of your life.

 

GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY

I’m disappointed to see Pedro Pascal here, and not Steve Martin and Martin Short. That’s the peak of my problem. Jon Bernthal and Oliver Platt both earned it for The Bear. Nathan Lane and Luke Kirby are previous winners who deserved to come back; I have no problem with Sam Richardson.

GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Again we have overkill for Ted Lasso but I’m not going to fault the Emmys for acknowledging Sarah Niles or Harriet Walter. I’m surprised that Judith Light is the Poker Face representative but she was great as always. Thrilled to see Taraji P. Henson here and Quinta Brunson again.  Still, I’m disappointed neither Catherine Zeta-Jones or Jane Lynch is here.

DIRECTING AND WRITING

Thrilled to see Bill Hader double dip; ditto The Bear and Wednesday.  Not surprised to see Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Ted Lasso, though I’m not sure it deserved two for writing. Jury Duty got ahead of writing of Abbott Elementary and Shrinking. Have to watch now.

 

Tomorrow I finish up with Limited Series and TV Movies. My biggest disappointments are here as much for what was excluded but what was included.

 

 

 

Support the WGA and SAG-AFTRA!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment