Monday, July 17, 2023

My Reactions To This Year's Emmys Concluded: Outstanding Limited Series Et Al

 

As we come to Limited Series, once again I am disappointed by the fact that the Emmys remain stuck on five nominees in the major categories. I’m not much happier not only on who they decided to nominated but who they ignored. I will get to the specifics very quickly but I am outraged beyond words that The Patient, which was nominated for acting awards by every major critics group was completely shut out as well as White House Plumbers and the near total exclusion of Love & Death. And in quite a few cases, who was nominated in their places, truly makes me question the process. Let’s get started.

 

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES

Beef more than deserves to be here. I’m starting to understand why Fleishmann is in Trouble is here. I understand why Dahmer was nominated and I’ll get to Daisy Jones and the Six which seems interesting.

But Obi-Wan Kenobi? Seriously. Forget the ones that were completely shut out. Obi Wan Kenobi received no nominations in acting, writing or directing. Why was it nominated  instead of some of the series that a got several of those nominations? Black Bird is by far the most obvious candidate, but so was George & Tammy, Welcome to Chippendales and Tiny Beautiful Things. The nomination of Obi-Wan Kenobi to me is as inexplicable as the recognition of Inventing Anna last year over Maid and Impeachment. If this isn’t an argument to at least expand this category by one nominee, I don’t know what’ll take.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

Well Steven Yeun, Michael Shannon and Taron Egerton more than deserve to be here; I advocated for them. It is more than logical that Daniel Radcliffe is here for Weird and it would have been bizarre if Evan Peters, who took the Golden Globe last year, wasn’t here.

However, I question the wisdom of Kumail Nujani for Welcome to Chippendales in this category. I will probably end up watching the series later are on – there are too many nominations for me to ignore it – but the decision to nominate him over Steve Carell for The Patient or Woody Harrelson for White House Plumbers boggles the mind. Those were powerhouse performances, and it is clearly not at the same level. At least that is my opinion right now. I may change my mind later. (I’ve seen much of Under the Banner of Heaven, I now understand why Andrew Garfield got his nomination. I’ve been wrong in this category before.)

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES

Ali Wong and Jessica Chastain I have no problem with. I hoped that Kathryn Hahn would be here. I have seen more of Fleishmann is in Trouble; I’m now inclined to agree Lizzy Caplan’s earned her spot. I can understand why Riley Keough is here. I’m actually inclined to give Dominique Fishback the benefit of the doubt for Swarm; there was a fair amount of love for it from the critics awards before this, and I’m not certain I truly had a better candidate.

I just don’t understand why Elisabeth Olsen was ignored for Love & Death. And I have to tell you, I’m not entirely thrilled that they chose Caplan over Emily Blunt for The English. Still, this is a better group than I expected.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

I wouldn’t argue the presence of Paul Walter Hauser or Ray Liotta for Black Bird. I’m disappointed that my candidate for Beef wasn’t nominated here but few would question the work of Young Mazino or Joseph Lee. I’m glad that the Emmys was willing to acknowledge Jesse Plemons at long last, and at least give Love & Death something.

All right, I have no problem with Richard Jenkins or Murray Bartlett being here in principle. Where I do have a problem is the inexplicable decision to ignore Domhnall Gleeson for his brilliant work in The Patient. Justin Theroux I can wrap my head around, but Gleeson was nominated by the Golden Globes and the Critics Choice; to ignore him is one of the most grievous oversights of the Emmys this year.

 

OUTSTANINDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

This is interesting. I am thrilled to see Maria Bello here. Claire Danes has more than earned her spot in my opinion for Fleishmann. I’m glad to see Niecy Nash-Betts as well.

The rest I’m still deciding. I have always loved Annaleigh Ashford and Juliette Lewis as actresses and I’m overjoyed they’ve been nominated. (For Lewis, this must be a partial balm for being shut out for Yellowjackets.) I have always loved Merritt Wever in almost everything she has done, I thought it was criminal she was overlooked for Unbelievable her last major limited series; so I’m fine with her being nominated for Tiny Beautiful Things. (I’ll get to that too. ) Camila Morrone has been nominated by the HCA for her work in Daisy Jones & The Six by the HCA, I think she might have been a possibility. My larger issue is the decision to overlook both Lena Headey and Judy Greer for their superb work in White House Plumbers. Headey in particular had been a heavy favorite to be nominated in this category so its odd she was excluded.  Still many of these performers are among my favorites, and I’ll be watching more of their series in the weeks to come.

WRITING AND DIRECTING

Beef  and Fleishman is in Trouble are the only series that have nominations in each category. Dahmer received two directing nominations (so did Beef) and Swarm was nominated in writing. Interestingly enough, the rest of the writing and directing nods went somewhere they mostly haven’t for the last several years – TV movies. Prey was nominated in both categories and Weird and Fire Island were nominated for writing. Considering that all three received nominations for TV Movie this year, that race may actually be more than the side note its been for the last few years. Perhaps the Emmys might move it to the main ceremony.

Some random thoughts. The separation of Late Night into Talk and Sketch is a good choice. I’m glad to see Seth Meyers finally competing as well as Jon Stewart back in the hunt against his proteges Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah. Considering that John Oliver dominated this category for seven years, it will be interesting to see who wins. It will be equally intriguing to see whether Jon Oliver can triumph over Saturday Night Live – his show has always been closer to that than The Daily Show and traditional late night. And of course, as a loyal Jeopardy watcher I am thrilled to see Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik nominated for Best Game Show Host and hope the show can win Best Game Show in prime time.

I still think the Emmys are going to happen and in due time, I’ll be dealing with my predictions. By that time, I’ll have watched a lot more of the series in my backlog and I will speak from a place from greater authority. Stay tuned.

 

Support the WGA and SAG-AFTRA!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment