Monday, October 2, 2023

25 Years Ago, The Last Broadcast Changed Horror...While No One Was Looking

 

 

Introduction: Because we are now in October I have decided to acknowledge the presence of Halloween by giving my readers a bit of a treat. I don’t normally write much about horror as a genre, mainly because I’ve focused primarily on television and many of the series I watch don’t fall into that trope. However, since I have expanded my scope of reviews in the last few years to movies and books I think it’s worth looking at it a little more closely.

So in the next month, I will focus slightly more on horror and its influences throughout TV , where it may have influenced certain films I love and look at some of my favorite novelists in the genre. (Conversely I may also look at some who I think have no business writing, much less being successful at it.)

And I’m going to start this series with a film I have wanted to write about for a very long time and as you’ll see this is the time in more ways than one.

 

I have made little secret over the years that I never liked The Blair Witch Project. From the start I have never liked the found footage genre and the fact that film has just deluged it with ever since it premiered has never thrilled me, considering no matter how wretched the film is, the more of them we seem to get. There’s also the fact, no matter how hard I try, I have never been able to find anything frightening about the movie. I do get that it is all about atmosphere and mood: it still seems to me like three whiny Gen X-ers who go unprepared on a camping trip and get lost in the woods.

But the main reason I am upset about it because when it came out in the summer of 1999 it was hailed for its originality and that these unknown filmmakers had made such an extraordinarily frightening film on so little money. By that point I knew better because the previous year I had seen a film that did everything Blair Witch Project did but far better, did it on a budget that would have made the makers of Blair Witch feel like they had Titanic money and was in many ways more of a precursors for things I find far more admirable about horror than anything I have ever seen before and rarely since.

I remember the first time I saw The Last Broadcast – it was after midnight not long on a summer night not long somewhere between by freshman and sophomore year of college. It was on IFC, which at that point in its history was not merely solely devoted to independent films but was still not showing them with any commercials.  At that point I was still registered to getting to bed at a certain hour no matter what. It was late at night and I was channel chasing before bed. I watched the first ten minutes and kept watching.

I was nowhere near the scholar of film or television that I have become (who is when they are nineteen) but even then I had an instinct for when I was seeing something interesting but not for the reasons most of watch movies. In fact, if you have seen the film you know that for almost its entire running time you think you are watching a documentary and then in the last ten minutes…

 I don’t normally give spoiler warnings especially for movies that have been around for decades. However since the film in question is so obscure I doubt that all but the most devoted genre fans have heard of it, I will tread lightly particularly when it comes to the ending. I’m not even going to tell you who made the movie or who stars in it. And in fact, if you are thinking of looking up the film on imdb.com or googling it, stop right now. This film has appeal even if you know something about it, but I’m not going to be the one to ruin for you. All right.

What I will tell you is that not long after Blair Witch came out I would find VHS copies of The Last Broadcast on sale trying to capitalize on the very real fact that it been made and released a full year before Blair Witch had been.  I don’t blame the filmmakers for doing so; not long after Roger Ebert gave the Blair Witch four stars, one of his more diligent readers posted a letter asking him if he had seen The Last Broadcast and pointed out this very fact. Ebert acknowledged that he had not and as far I know, he never got around to it; I never saw it in any of his film companions going forward.

I also know that while Blair Witch become one of the greatest flashpoints in pop culture history and regularly gets discussed among the greatest horror films ever made, as far as I know no one ever mentions The Last Broadcast even as an ancestor text. You can find Blair Witch playing on cable regularly ever since it was released; I have not seen The Last Broadcast on cable in nearly twenty years. (When I saw it was coming up on Cinemax, I recorded it on VHS. I still have the tape.) And those who have seen The Last Broadcast think very little of it: its imdb.com rating (again don’t look) is 5.2. I have little doubt most of those people don’t like horror to begin with or think its derivative of Blair Witch even though its clearly listed as having come out the year before.

 And the thing is, The Last Broadcast is a far better film than every aspect of Blair Witch not the least in how it worked. I’ll give you some of the outline of the plot but I’ll keep the details spare. (The film is available on AMC+ streaming but again don’t look it for just yet.)

The film opens with a documentarian telling us that ‘he came to this project with the same expectations as you about the Fact or Fiction murders.” This man known as David speaks in a tone that is both a mix of portent and pretention, ending his speech with: “As they said on Fact or Fiction, you decide.” The movie then begins with a 911 call of a man named Jim Suerd reported that he was on a project with some people and they’d disappeared. We then hear a radio call in show, footage of the police reporting that there have several murders, newspaper clippings, local reporters announcing a trial and the news that Jim Suerd has been sentenced to life in prison. We get some more narration that is a mix of portent and pretentious over some footage of trees, the film begins to flicker and we see the title card THE LAST BROADCAST.  Then we see footage of two men who call themselves: “Johnny and Locus” who say they are broadcasting ‘Live from the Pine Barrens from Fact or Fiction with a psychic and a paranormal sound recorder.” “Johnny bungles this several times and the two of them speak with excitement.

The movie then takes on the idea of a documentary but while we see a fair amount of stock footage unlike The Blair Witch the movie explains this that it is from the filming of a New Jersey public access show called Fact or Fiction. The film tells the story of the two ‘stars’ Steven Avkast and Locus Wheeler, who are no different from so many other public access ‘stars’  – or in hindsight, much of what you’d see from low budget cable or streaming.

We are told the story of Jim Suerd who we learn was a user of the Internet (in the 1990s still considered a sign of being dangerous) and magic tricks. We’re told his parents are dead and the only people who knew him were his landlady and a childhood psychiatrist.

We learn that Fact or Fiction quickly begins to diminish in ratings and economics and that Steven comes up with the idea of using IRC (Internet Real Chat) as the equivalent of fan mail. From it one night they get a suggestion, from a disturbing electronic voice: ‘Why don’t you do a show about the Jersey Devil?”

Steven then begins recruiting talent. One of them is a soap opera director, one of them is a sound recorder named Rein, and one is a proposed psychic – Jim.  We see Jim seem able to predict what cards are coming up and an incident where the proposed date of the trip appears on his arms.  The filmmaker acknowledges that these are little more than tricks.

We’re then told of that on December 15, 1995 these four men went into the Pine Barrens and that only Jim Suerd returned alive. We quickly learn that Locus and Rein’s bodies are found stabbed and mutilated so badly that ‘they were torn into 47 pieces.” Steven’s body was never found. Jim is quickly targeted as the killer as they find a shirt with the blood of the victims of it in his apartment.

Much of this proceeds like the mix of a true crime documentary (the first time I saw The Last Broadcast by this point I was trying to remember if I’d heard about the killings on the news) Now the film switches into the found footage form. Because this was a made for TV event, there is film footage of the entire trip to the Pine Barrens. The DA wants a conviction and hires an editor (the narrator says he was referred to as ‘The Killer Cutter’) to show what happen to make Jim look guilty.

Much of the next twenty minutes focuses on this footage. We see Jim leading the filmmakers deeper and deeper into the woods, often with a blank look on his face. The date of the trip appearing on his arm is used by the prosecutor as a sign of premeditation. It shows the other people on the trip becoming puzzled by Jim’s actions and at one point one of them makes a joke: “Are you a psychic or a psycho?” Jim says: “Look man,” slams into the cameraman to the point where the footage scrambles and walks off saying: “I’ll see you back at camp!”

The viewer is not surprised to learn that the jury finds Jim guilty of murder and sentences him to serve two consecutive life sentences. We then see Jim’s therapist saying that the trial was ‘a kangaroo court’.  The documentarian discusses that while the blood evidence seems overwhelming, in actuality there’s too little blood for the amount of violence involved. He tells us that Jim had an alibi for the killings: he was on the Internet all night and there are recordings of it. We see the prosecutor point out that there is a forty minute gap between two communications and that leaves enough time for him to do it.

All of this has proceeded like the typical documentary. At the halfway mark of the film, the story changes. Jim Suerd is found dead in his cell under unexplained circumstances. A few days later, the filmmaker finds reels of exposed camera film on his doorstep – “footage found later’ in other words. He considers going to the authorities but rejects the idea until the film can be seen.

The rest of the film I will not reveal because, if you have not seen it,  you should be blindsided by it.  What I will tell you is that The Last Broadcast spends the next half hour concentrating on what the footage reveals. Revelations are made that irrevocably demonstrate Jim is innocent and we see a blurry shot that seems to tell us something horrifying but we can’t tell what it means. The movie continues to make it seem like we are now trying to learn the truth but continues to act entirely like it is true-crime or a mystery.

Then the last ten minutes happen. When you see the movie I imagine, like many people who watch horror films, you will argue that it rationally makes no sense. I would remind viewers that the summer of 1999 gave us not only Blair Witch but The 6TH Sense a film where the ending was utterly blindsiding. The revelation here is nearly as blindsiding, not so much from a plot concept but from a genre one. There’s an argument that what we see in The Last Broadcast lays the groundwork for Paranormal Activity, where the original committed to the idea that it actually was found footage and had no credits.

I was stunned by it at the time. I acknowledge that in retrospect, like twist endings for so many future Shyamalan films, it’s utterly ludicrous. (Then again, I may have more tolerance for this then some people: I still love Signs and people have been mocking that movie for twenty years.) But I still admire it a quarter of a century because in that time I’ve never seen any film willing to spend that much time committing to the illusion it put up. And in a gesture of respect that no filmmaker has ever put up before or since, the final credit of the film acknowledges what it has done and tells the audience to keep it up for people who haven’t seen it.

The Last Broadcast is clearly a labor of love because the filmmakers say that they had no money. That’s literally one of the comments about it a book I read on the movie later. They said they had a budget listing of $900 and even that was just a figure they made up; everything for the film was made on borrowed equipment, grainy footage and most of the interiors must have been neighbors willing to go along with it. None of the cast was professionals and like most of the creators or Blair Witch very few of them worked in the industry again (though it takes a lot to say that this movie is part of an industry). At one point a person in the film says about Steven: “No one ever makes it big in this kind of thing” and there’s a very good chance he was speaking for everybody who was participating in the movie. And indeed the film made a grand total of $12,097 world-wide. The makers of The Last Broadcast must have truly gnashed their teeth when they saw Blair Witch grossed over $100 million.

Even on imdb.com the haters are still out there, saying that The Last Broadcast is lame and you should seek out The Blair Witch Project for a real movie.  Again, another reason to look it up on the site. My advice to you the viewer: track the film down in some form. I’d argue that you should break out your old school VCR, track down a VHS tape and watch it that way. I have a feeling that The Last Broadcast is one of those films that improves the worse the picture quality is. But if you don’t want to be bothered with the effort, go to AMC+ and track it down. I have told you why I love this movie and why I prefer it to Blair Witch but I won’t make the decision for you. “As they said on Fact or Fiction, you decide.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment