Thursday, September 17, 2026

Constant Reader September 2026 The Works of Elle Kennedy

 

For much of the last fifteen years one of my pleasures – not guilty, only rarely shared here – have been romance novels. I've rarely shared those particular books at this site, though every so often I've been reviewing a few of the authors who work in the field.

I have no boundaries with this genre: YA, simply romantic, pretty erotic, friends to lovers, enemies to lovers, heterosexual, LGBTQ+, even the occasional walk on the wild side into polyamorous ones. I have a couple of qualifiers found after years of trial and error: the biggest one being that they have to be contemporary romances. I've never been able to get into the 'romantasy' genre but that's more because I have issues with the 'fantasy' part of it. That's the major reason I never became a fan of Starz's Outlander franchise – I read the first volume of Diana Galbadon's work but could never get into any of the others. It's the same reason I've never been able to get into Game Of Thrones or Vikings; it's just not my cup of tea but I don't judge the ones who are devoted to it.

What I've found surprising is given how streaming services and films have been lapping up every form of IP imaginable I've yet to see, say, any series or movies devoted to the works of Christina Lauren or Lynn Painter, both of whom have a huge readership and following. I have no doubt much of it has to do with it being viewed as a female-only genre which is a clear sign of institutional sexism in our society, yada, yada, yada, I just which they'd get over it. And it does seem in the last couple of years the world of streaming is.

Now though I cast a wide net for romance reading as with every other major book I am aware of what I like and don't like. Which is why I will eventually see People We Meet on Vacation but have no desire to see The Love Hypothesis. I've read my share of Emily Henry and Ali Hazelwood and I much prefer the former.

The main reason I've written nothing about the cultural phenomenon so big there are people up in arms that it didn't get nominated for Emmys this year: Heated Rivalry. And that's because I have to make a confession: until the series was greenlit I'd never heard of Rachel Reid's romance novels between gay hockey players. To be clear I was well aware of hockey romances and even gay hockey romances. But that's because over the last several years I've been reading the books of one of the most enjoyable writers in the entire genre: Elle Kennedy.

Because of my eclectic nature I didn't find out about Elle Kennedy until about four years ago when I read the first book in her Avalon Bay series Good Girl Complex. The majority of Kennedy's novels are set among woman who are in their twenties and either in college or on the verge of graduating. Like so many romance novelists she splits her narratives between the male and female perspective.  (Lauren and Painter, who I mentioned above, are two writers who follow this pattern but it's common to many writers in the genre.) I ended up finding Kennedy's first hockey romances when I was reading the 'Briar U' series which is by far her biggest franchise. And in my way of doing things I then ended up with the wellspring Off Campus.

For those of you who've not encountered them like so many of Kennedy's works the Off Campus series takes place in Briar University, a fictional Ivy League School in Massachusetts. Briar is part of the most dominant college hockey teams in the entire country and anyone whose part of the Briar Hockey Team is automatically the alphas on the campus. Every female college students wants to sleep with the hockey team – and the hockey teams is more than fine with it – and most of the male college students want to be the briar hockey team – and to be clear some of them want to sleep with the hockey team – which more than a few are open too.

The Off Campus series centers on four students who have been rooming together since freshman year and have become essentially brothers in every way. Garrett Graham, John Logan, Dean DiLaurentis and John Tucker. (To clear things up right away even Logan and Tucker refer to themselves by their last names and only use 'John' when they are angry at each other.) The series begins in their junior year while the new hockey season is underway.

What might strike many readers – and perhaps be refreshing to the average viewer – is the players and almost everyone on campus is only interested in the day-to-day details of their lives rather than outside factors. Everybody goes to class, they go to sorority parties, they go to pep rallies, after parties, they worry about their grades and their future out of college. To be very clear these books all acknowledge that they do take place during Trump's first term but none of them – male, female, or whatever – are terrified of the world outside. They're more concerned with what will happen each season, passing tests and what their future might look like post college.

And just to be clear nobody – not even the alphas on the Briar hockey team – is living a charmed life. Garrett Graham is wealthy because of his family name, but his father – a pro-hockey legend – is an abusive drunk who drove Garrett's mother away and is clearly doing the same to his second wife. Logan's dealing with a drunk father and comes from a very working class home and he thinks that once he leaves Briar his life is over because he's going to have to take care of him for the rest of his life. Tucker comes from a single mom family in a working class town in Dallas. Dean comes from wealth and privilege and is very happy about his life and he seems incredibly shallow. Naturally when we reach his novel we learn theirs more to him than meets the eye.

None of them are looking for love and long-term relationships – this is college after all. Hookups happen easier to them then most but it's also common for just about everyone else in Briar. Kennedy is wonderful because she makes it very clear in all of her books relating to Briar that the women are just as capable of wanting to get laid as men are and frequently aren't looking for relationships either.

To give the best example there is Sabrina James. If there was such a thing as an alpha female Sabrina would be that. The first time we meet her at a frat party she goes right to the Briar quarterback (football is important in Briar but the team isn't as good as the hockey team) and begins to make out with him. Dean is sitting across from her and the first thing she does is fix Dean with a look and say "Richie."

After Dean acknowledges her presence:

"I noticed you actually bothered showing up for class this morning" Sabrina smirks. "You realize the TA is a dude, huh? You poor thing. Can't fuck your way into a passing grade."

"Blow me, Sabrina."

(Sabrina) cocks a brow. "Yeah? Pull it out, big boy."

It should be mentioned that by this point its established Dean is basically the best looking man perhaps on campus and he just to look at a girl and they'll fall at his feet. By this point quite a few of the woman who've been narrating novels are non-plussed by Dean but Sabrina's the first one who seems to hate him. Not that she cares that much; within a minute she pulls her target away and they're clearly about to hook up as loudly and noisily as possible.

Most of the woman Kennedy has tell their side of the story are not as alpha as Sabrina but they are very sure of themselves in life and in a sense sexually. By far my favorite character of the Off-Campus series is Allie Hayes who we meet in the first novel. Annie is described as utterly confident in her sexuality, can be very focused and loud in her sex with her boyfriend and has a lot of energy.

One of my favorite lines in the entire series comes in The Score, which is the story of Allie and Dean. This is the enemies to lovers romance trope as Allie thinks Dean is a 'man-whore (which Dean will later sees proud of) After Allie breaks up with her boyfriend and Hannah is out of town, she orders Dean to look after Allie to prevent her from getting back together with her ex.

Naturally they end up hooking up (Allie initiates the encounter, for the record) and in the aftermath Dean is frankly put off why Allie doesn't want to have a repeat performance. So after he texts her and says what he wants to sleep with her again, Allie's response is simple. "Well, of course he does. I'm amazing in bed."

Allie's problem is that she doesn't like having one-night stands: she likes relationships. However she admits she remembers just how great the sex was and then proceeds to realize that she has to work this out logically. She wants to have sex with Dean again and he wants to sleep with her. So she comes up with the next proof:

Premise I: Casual sex makes me uncomfortable

Premise II: I just got out of a long-term relationship and am not ready for another one.

Premise III: Even if I was, I wouldn't want a relationship with man-whore Dean.

Conclusion: Um…?

I mean, you got give credit to any woman who decides to have casual sex with someone because she aced Argumentative Logic.

And Kennedy because she makes it clear that no one is an idiot in her books later proves that despite their efforts they haven't fooled anybody. In the concluding novel The Goal, which tells Tucker's story, makes it clear he can follow the clues:

Allie Hayes, the best friend of our other roommate's girlfriend, crashed at our place last night.

Dean is a man-whore.

Chicks love Dean.

Ally is a chick.

Ergo, Dean slept with Allie.

Followed by:

Plus, there were the clothes scattered around the living room because Dean is physically incapable of having sex in his bedroom.

That's another mystery that baffles everybody who knows Dean and of course Allie finds about it. To be clear she also remembers because she tells Dean "I want to christen it" and Dean has had sex there before, of course. Many, many times.

Even as a critic there are some things you turn to as comfort food not necessarily because they're the best things ever but because they bring you happiness when you need them such as Law & Order reruns or simply watching a few minutes of Big Little Lies every time I feel like it. When I need to unwind a little during the day I'll look at a romance novel much like Elle Kennedy. And this is, to be clear, coming from a cis white male. I can only imagine how many women have turned to it over the years.

Which is why I was happy to learn last year that Amazon was doing a streaming version of Off Campus and happier still when it was renewed for a second season even before the first season debuted last May. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't hanging on to see who was cast to play Garrett and Hannah in the first season (The Deal, the first novel in the series deals with their love story) but there was a period when I could understand why so many people might care when the next MCU trailer or the preview for House of Dragon came out.

Nor was I shocked to learn that the first season has become one of the most streamed series in Amazon's history and that practically overnight the cast of complete unknowns from Ella Bright and Belmont Cameli have become the kind of overnight sensation the same way the cast of Heated Rivalry did.  These characters mean something they people. Hell they mean something to me.

We turn to books like these in a complicated, messy world because they are formulaic but there's always room for variation in the formula and you still care about the characters anyway. This has been true of almost every romance novel I've read and it's definitely true for Off-Campus.  There are just small foibles and quirks that I truly love that you don't find in any other genre. I love the recurring gag, for example, how Logan keeps trying to come up with texting acronyms that make no sense to anyone but him when he says them but because Garrett knows his friend so well he can translate them without much effort. I love the bond that forms among the girlfriends of the Briar team that eventually becomes deeper that being in the same place and becomes a sisterhood itself overtime. (And if you've read your share of Kennedy you know these bonds last way beyond graduation.) And because I'm a fan of shared universe stories as a whole I always love how side characters you meet in a novel in one book will end up getting their own story three or four books later and the constant callback to earlier novels.

Now that my rush for the Emmys is over I plan to finally start watching Off Campus this week and perhaps even reviewing it for my blog at some point. Perhaps I'll go in depth the way for other series and literary adaptations, maybe I'll just enjoy the ride. And I do look forward to meeting who they eventually get to play just later characters as Sabrina and Grace and if they go a little later Hunter Davenport and Summer, Dean's sister whose even more attractive then he is and instantly gets a crush on one of the introverts on the team. I'm not going to be one of those nitpickers about how they're getting small details different because I don't care that much and I'm not that kind of person.

Oh and just in case there are some people who don't know: Elle Kennedy has written her share of gay hockey love stories. Most of them are done in collaboration with Sabrina Bowen, who like Kennedy has her own series of hockey romances that span the entire sexual spectrum. And if that's a little too much Lynn Painter's most recent YA novel is called Fake Skating and tells the story of two childhood friends who reconnect when she moves to Minnesota and finds her childhood friend is now the local town's hockey god.

I'm just putting that out there because some people might say those stories deserve TV series too. You know, some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment