I always watch the Creative Arts Emmys
that are aired on FXX on the Saturday before the broadcast. Technically they
are two nights of awards edited into one 2 and a half hour broadcast but that
doesn't mean they're any less fascinating.
Sometimes they can foreshadow what will
happen on Emmy night. Other times they can mislead. Last year, for example, Severance
was the big winner in drama taking seven Emmys. However Andor won
five and The Pitt took 2. Severance managed to win two more Emmys
that were somewhat surprising – Britt Lower for Best Actress and Tramell
Tillman for Supporting Actor – but of course the big winner was The Pitt.
As for comedy two years ago The Bear had
an incredible night winning seven Emmys, trouncing all comers. On Emmy night it
won four more but in what was the biggest upset in recent memory Hacks took
Best Comedy.
The Creative Arts Emmys naturally deal
with the kinds of awards that are more technically elaborate and despite noble
efforts to divide the awards among genre and period pieces those are still the
shows that generally do the best among them. It's rare to see that correlation
play out on Emmy night. This was true in Limited Series last when The
Penguin took seven Emmys in the Limited Series category to Adolescence's
three but Adolescence essentially won everything in sight Emmy night.
We've seen shows like The Last of Us do very well here and then Succession
do big on Emmy night.
So before we go any further let's see if
the actual awards may have helped clarify things.
For Comedy, perhaps not unexpectedly,
the big winner was Widow's Bay which took seven Emmys: Cinematography,
Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Music (half-hour) Music Supervision, Casting and
Best Guest Actress in a Comedy Betty Gilpin. (I will get to that one)
This would seem to give the edge of Widow's
Bay but remember what I said about two years ago The Bear. Hacks only
won for Picture Editing in a Comedy but this has never been a show that has a
great history with creative arts. Until now it's only won two others both for
Guest Actress in a Comedy: Laurie Metcalf in 2022, Julianne Nicholson, 2025. I
admit odds have shifted in Widow's Bay favor but it was always going to
have a good night on Emmy night regardless: it was a lock for Matthew Rhys for
Best Actor in a Comedy, I was pretty sure Kate O'Flynn was going to win for
Best Supporting Actress and Hiro Murai seemed certain for direction. Jean Smart
is certain to win her fifth Best Actress and its still heavily favored to win
Best Writing. I still think the stars are in its favor. Not that I'd be
disappointed if Widow's Bay won.
For the record I was also glad to see Margo's
Got Money Troubles take three Emmys for Contemporary Costume, Hairstyle and
Makeup. Because honestly given what that show looked like it deserved it. And I
was also thrilled to see the Emmys give Palm Royale three Emmys before
it was canceled, including period costume, makeup and choreography.
It was also profoundly moving to see Rob
Reiner awarded posthumously for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy for what was his
final performance in The Bear.
For Drama this was always going to be a
fight between Pluribus and The Pitt and it still is. Both won
four Emmys.
For Pluribus, as you'd expect,
they were all technical: Production design, picture Editing for a Drama, sound
mixing for a Drama, Main Title Theme. For The Pitt, there was best Music
and Lyrics (for one of their songs) best prosthetic makeup, casting and Best
Guest Actor in a Drama for Ernest Harden.
The big winner among dramas, however,
was the recently cancelled Spider-Noir which took five technical Emmys,
including cinematography, sound effects, visual effects and stunts, a good
showing.
As for the other contenders Knights
of the Seven Kingdoms won for Best Episodic Stunt performance while Paradise
took Best Guest Actress for Shailene Woodley.
I think both shows will divide many of
the awards: The Pitt will take Best Drama and Best Actor, while Pluribus
will take Best Actress and Best Directing and probably Best Writing. I'm
still not ruling out the possibility that Slow Horses will pull an upset
in either of those categories just like it has the last two years. I remain
convinced Tom Pelphrey will win Best Supporting Actor but I still think
Supporting Actress in a Drama is up for grabs. Don't rule out the possibility
of either Julianne Nicholson or Karolina Wydra managing an upset over one of
the performers from The Pitt.
Okay you know what I think about Best
Limited Series and for the record I'm now doubly angry. David Harbour and Linda
Cardellini's acceptance speeches for Best Supporting Actor and Actress were
both in their own ways profoundly moving and they deserved to be part of the
main broadcast. Again you screwed up Emmys.
Momentum has now completely shifting to DTF
St. Louis which won six Emmys, including directing and writing for Steven
Conrad. (He deserved to give his speech in prime time, academy!) That said, it
should be noting that the award for Casting was one of the few it didn't win,
going instead to Love Story. Considering
every lead in DTF was nominated and it still didn't win and how
important casting has been overall, its striking.
Beef prevailed for Contemporary Costume, sound editing and sound
mixing in an Anthology so it could still manage an upset. And I was glad to see
one of my favorite composers for Sean Callery win another Emmy for The Beast
in Me.
As to the ceremonies themselves I always
take a certain pleasure out of them that is often equal to the prime-time
broadcast. These are the unsung heroes and heroines of television, who give as
much to the world as the writers, directors and on-screen talent and I have a
fondness when they are recognized.
I'll confess I care more about that then
some of the awards for shows that are given more coverage such as reality TV or
live performances. That said it did my heart a world of good to see Jeopardy
win best game show and that the most awarded Variety special even more than
late night was the reimagined version of The Muppet Show which won five
Emmys, including Best Variety Special. This meant a lot to a great many people,
including those who worked on it. One winner brought out a VHS recording of one
of the original episodes and Seth Rogen said how wild it was they were honored
on the 50th anniversary of the debut. If that's not a reason to get
things started and bring it back full time, I don't know what is.
There are some series, especially those
such as Widow's Bay and Beef that really are nothing without the
technical masters who do their work and they deserve more credit then they got.
I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind if at least a couple of these awards were added
to the primetime broadcast because they deserve more than they get.
But for me one of the great rewards in
the 21st century often is the Guest Actor and Actress in either
comedy or drama. Far more often these
awards give recognition to some of the best actors who never get their due and
they should. I've been overjoyed to see such favorites as Jeremy Davies win for
Justified and Margo Martindale for The Americans, Reg E. Cathey
prevail for House of Cards, Gerald McRaney's win for This is Us and
Alexis Bleidel winning for The Handmaid's Tale. Even if it didn't like
the shows in some cases, these are some of the greatest actors of TV and they
deserve their moment.
In recent years its been paying off for
veterans who never got their due from the Emmys. I've seen such talents as Nick
Offerman, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jon Bernthal and last year Shawn Hatosy finally get
their due. And this year it was just as rewarding as two of my all-time
favorites actresses: Shailene Woodley and Betty Gilpin, after each having been
ignored by the Emmys for over a decade despite having starred in some of the
greatest shows of that period (including when they co-starred in the incredible Three Women two
years ago) finally got their first Emmys for Paradise and Widow's
Bay, respectively.
Gilpin's speech, the last of the night,
brought the house down because it was delivered as a poem she wrote. It was
both hysterically funny, incredibly moving and briefly a call to arms. It also
brought me joy to know Gilpin's 'date' to the Emmys was Allison Brie. I'm so
glad to know the 'GLOW-mance is still going on. (Now can we get an Emmy for
Alison too?)
By the way I made some predictions going
into this night. I was right that Harbour and Cardellini would win, right that DTF
St. Louis would win for writing and wrong about directing. I correctly
predicted Woodley would win Best Guest Actress in a Drama and I did predict
that a Guest Actor in a Drama would go to someone from The Pitt – though
my guess was Jeff Kober rather than Ernest Harden, Jr. Considering Gold Derby
was betting on Colman Domingo, I did better on that. I was wrong about Best
Guest Actor in a Comedy and a Drama. I thought Michael J. Fox and Kaitlin Olson
would prevail. But I'm totally fine with Betty Gilpin winning.
How will it play out tomorrow? We'll
see. Looking forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment