Sunday, June 18, 2023

Emmy Watch Phase 2: GALECA TV Nominations

 

I rarely look at awards shows that recognize a specific group unless there is  a focus at large on a particular spread. This has hindered my perception over time: I did not recognize the NAACP Image awards until a couple of years ago, when I realized that they, in a sense, were the kind of crew I’d hang with any groups that’s willing to give nominations to Power and Women of the Movement I clearly should have hung out with years ago

So when I learned of an organization called GALECA: The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics was giving its Dorian TV awards, I was intrigued. Considering that so many series I’m already a fan of, such as Yellowjackets, Abbott Elementary and Somebody Somewhere feature some of the most realistic portrayals of the LGTBQ+ community as well as, you know, being some of the best series on TV, I was intrigued already. That was before I realized that their standards for inclusivity include series that do not necessarily include those kinds of characters. I decided to take a look. Color me impressed.

Their Best TV Drama category includes four certain Emmy nominees: Yellowjackets, The White Lotus,  The Last of Us and Succession.  Perhaps it is not a shock to see AMC’s adaptation of Interview With A Vampire included. Best TV Comedy includes three certain nominees for Best Comedy: Abbott Elementary, The Bear and Poker Face. I can only hope the Emmys includes Somebody Somewhere in a month. The Other Two is another of those highly praised shows that I keep planning to watch if I have the time.

There is a separate category called Best LGBTQ TV series. As fans no doubt would expect, The Last of Us and Interview With a Vampire are represented in both this category and Drama, while Somebody Somewhere and The Other Two double dip as comedies.  I’ll confess to being a little surprised – but no less delighted – that the fifth nominee is the Amazon adaptation of A League of Their Own. It would have been easier to nominate Barry or Abbott Elementary in this category; they did not.

In a category that I really wish the Emmys had, Dorian has a Best Unsung Show category. Little surprise to see Somebody Somewhere here, or Reservation Dogs or A Black Lady Sketch Show. The Peabodys gave recognition to Los Espookys and I hear good things about Derry Girls. I would have put The Good Fight ahead of Jury Duty but what do I know?

Movie to Best TV Movie or Miniseries, I am unsurprised to see Beef or Daisy Jones and the Six here (I’ll get to the latter in time) not surprised to see Fire Island, which is a contender for TV movie among those chosen and not entirely shocked to see Amazon’s Dead Ringers here. Rye Lane is the only one I haven’t heard of.

It's not entirely surprising that performances by this group are not divided by gender – if any awards show had a right to make this qualification, it’s this one.  Best TV performance in a Drama features five nearly certain Emmy nominees: Kieran Culkin and Sarah Snook from Succession; Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey for The Last of Us and Melanie Lynskey for Yellowjackets. I advocated for all of them, so no problems. Best Supporting TV Performance features all three of the women I considered for The White Lotus: Jennifer Coolidge, Meghann Fahy and Aubrey Plaza. Two of the supporting nomination for The Last of Us are stretching the term but considering the context and the caliber of their work, I can’t argue against Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlett being here.

Moving to Comedy: All five performers in Best TV Performance are woman. Who cares? Quinta Brunson, Rachel Brosnahan and Natasha Lyonne are sure things; I can hope that Bridget Everett will be included, and Ali Wong is really deserving of an Emmy nomination, though it will be in a different category. Best Supporting TV performance: Janelle James and Sheryl Lee Ralph are sure things for Abbott Elementary, Ayo Edebiri, certain for The Bear (and probably Abbott Elementary) and Alex Borstein is going to be their again. The Emmys should be so fortunate as to let Jeff Hiller grace its stage.

I’m not going to bicker about musical performance, but having seen Bridget Everett perform Gloria, yeah, ditto Nick Offerman, because I love Nick Offerman. I have no problem with any of the Current Affairs Shows and seriously the Emmys should nominate Amber Ruffin or Ziwe before.  Visually Striking: Few would make the argument about a show like Andor, The Last of Us or The White Lotus.

Which leaves me with Campiest TV Show. I will refrain from commenting, except having seen so much of the work in Wednesday, I acknowledge that camp and quality are not mutually exclusive. (Honestly, it’s hard not to look at Luis Guzman and Catherine Zeta Jones work and not think of camp.)

Dorian, as you might expect, has been giving awards for a while – since 2009. Last year, I’d actually say that they did a better job than the Emmys. Best Drama for Yellowjackets and Best TV performance for Melanie Lynskey, Best Comedy for Abbott Elementary, Best Limited Series for The White Lotus and Best Supporting Performance for Jennifer Coolidge, Best Non-English Language show Squid Game and awards for The Other Two and Girls5Eva. Yes Euphoria got an award but it was more visually striking show, which I can’t exactly argue against and they did recognize Ziwe. Furthermore, they have only recently transitioned from TV performances to actor and actresses. Further examination of their work is clearly warranted, but even a cursory glance shows that, just as with the Image awards, there is a recognition of quality that the Emmy just doesn’t acknowledge.

Clearly the Dorians are another one of those awards groups I shall watch more closely from on as they are clearly recognizing the kind of series that represent the best in TV and film. And I never need a reason to be an ally of any group of critics who give awards.

In two weeks we get to the HCA folks. I’ll be back tomorrow as I resume my work on the Emmys. Support the WGA!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment