Friday, July 15, 2016

Reactions To This Year's Emmys, Part 2: The Comeides

Now, the comedies.


BEST COMEDY SERIES
Really can't complain that much, considering that five of the seven series I hoped would be nominated were, and that one of the other two was actually one of the more entertaining series of the years. I'd bitch about 'Modern Family' being nominated over 'Jane the Virgin', but considering that this fits the pattern of shafting the CW, I really can't complain that much. I'd have preferred if 'Mom' or even 'Big Bang Theory' had been nominated, but I'm not that shocked.

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY
Not that bad a group. Anderson and Anzari are among the best comics working today, Tambor was as good as ever, and Thomas Middleditch was a pleasant surprise. Will Forte was only mildly more surprising, considering that he was nominated last year.
William H. Macy? Seriously? He's one of my favorite actors, but this is one of the least enjoyable things I've seen him in. Don Cheadle would've been a better choice. I realize Matt LeBlanc was out of the running, but still. Oh well.

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY
Julia Louis-Dreyfus. It's becoming overkill, but still, can't really argue that much. Amy Schumer, she's earned it again. Tracee Ellis Ross. Good. They're showing common sense at last. And Elle Kemper was inexplicably snubbed last year, so thank God for some sense. Even Laurie Metcalf wasn't an unpleasant surprise. Her work on 'Getting On' was good, though I fear that she may be near overexposure. Just kidding.
I 'm torn about Lily Tomlin getting nominated. Yes, her work on 'Grace and Frankie' is very enjoyable. But did it really have to come at the expense of Gina Rodriguez or Rachel Bloom? I realize that even for CW series they're low-rated, but the Critic's Choice managed to find them. I'd be more upset that Bloom was shut out, but she was nominated for three other Emmys in lesser categories, so it's not like she was left empty handed. Still...

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, COMEDY
This is where things get a little trickier. Andre Braugher? Superb choice. Deserves to win. Tony Hale? Great physical comic, and his performance in the season finale was incredible. Titus Burgess? Always fun to watch him work. Keegan-Michael Key? Really don't know why his partner in crime was shut out, but considering he got a writing nomination, I won't bitch that much. Matt Walsh wasn't a bad choice for 'Veep', considering all the abuse his character took.
Louie Anderson for 'Baskets'. Well, it was a very raved about performance, and one can't say he wasn't going out of his comfort zone for it. And Ty Burrell is a good performer, on a show that's kind of on the downswing. I'm just a little disappointed that in a category that found room for seven nominees, they couldn't find room for T.J. Miller. But then again, according to a New York article, that is what he wanted.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS, COMEDY
Anna Chlumsky was as entertaining as always on 'Veep', even though she wasn't as explosively funny as last year. Allison Janney - there's really nothing more that needs to be said about her work. I'm a little disappointed, they nominated all the actress in 'Transparent' except the one I advocated for, but both Gaby Hoffman and Judith Light were so good it really didn't matter that much. Niecy Nash was far and away the most human part of 'Getting On', so I'm glad she got nominated.

I realize were in an election cycle, and that Kate McKinnon's work as Hilary Clinton has been far more relevant as well as her other performances on SNL. But couldn't they have found room for Mayim Bialik? Considering how fine her speech at the Critic's Choice was, I'd have been glad to see her triumph? I'm not that disappointed that McKinnon was nominated, but they found room for seven actors in the Supporting Actor category. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment