Friday, July 8, 2016

X-Files Episode Guide: Introduction

In  the fall of 1993, the fledgling Fox network was still struggling for respectability . It had broken ground for television with subversive comedies such as The Simpsons, Married: With Children and In Living Color, and had scored high with the youth market with Aaron Spelling's Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. But even though it could no longer be discounted, it was still considered something of a joke about executives and critics. Fox was still plumbing the bushes of writers and directors, looking for a series that would grant them that respect.

However, the series that would be a major source in getting it, was not one they were expecting much of. The creation of a then unknown writer named Chris Carter, it was conceived as something of a knock off. Carter himself considered it a homage to ,Kolchak: The Night Stalker, a seventies series that had barely lasted a season. It was to deal with science fiction, with a particular look at UFO stories in particular--- neither of which was considered more than a fringe group at a time. Set in the FBI, the male lead was barely known outside of those few people who had stuck with Twin Peaks through  it's run two years earlier. It's female lead was even less well known, and the executives had pushed for Carter to cast someone sexier.

The Pilot of the series--- called The X-Files--- premiered September 10, 1993--- 9PM on Friday. Almost nobody noticed, and Fox certainly wasn't promoting it to be a hit--- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., the shows lead-in was expected to be a bigger player than this show. Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide all but ignored in their Fall Previews, and most audiences did the same, the show barely managed eight million viewers, and this was in  an era where if a series scored less than 10, it was considered DOA. And even though a slow but steady trickle of involvement with the show appearing on a new aspect of computer called the Internet, no one took the show very seriously--- probably not even the writers themselves.

How could any of us have known that The X-Files would become one of the most iconic series in TV history, with Mulder and Scully becoming two of the most famous characters the medium has ever developed? I certainly didn't. I was barely fourteen at the time, and didn't begin watching the series regularly until the second season was almost over. Even then, I didn't given much notice--- when the third season aired, I still watched erratically, therefore ignoring 'Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose'. I don't think I became seriously invested in the series until the third season aired 'Nisei', part of what would become known to millions of unhappy fans as 'the mythology', something that eventually most fans would come to feel was the weakest part of the series. But The X-Files was seminal for me when it came to watching television. Before then, I had mainly watched silly sitcoms and animated cartoons, with an occasional black-and-white comedy series thrown in. After watching the series, I became awakened to what network television was truly capable of, to what TV could do when all the cylinders were firing. More to the point, following it eventually led me to the Internet in the first place, and helped eventually lead me to TV criticism as a possible career. In other words, you wouldn't be reading this article if it weren't for The X-Files.

In all fairness, I have already reviewed the X-Files on the Internet before on several sites pertaining to the show between 2002 and 2004. But in the course of the time, both the websites and the writing have lost to history and to myself. So I am taking this as an opportunity to follow up on a series that, in the past few years, has disappeared from the airwaves. More to the point, in the nearly two decades that have passed since its first airing, perhaps I will be able with fresh eyes to see things I missed when I was young and foolish (and obsessed, but we'll get to that). Maybe I'll be able to better appreciate moments that I missed when I was only watching casually. Maybe I'll be able to appreciate the last two seasons (but I'm not holding my breath).


So stay tuned to this site for a look at one of the greatest series in TV history in all its glory (and some of its lameness).

No comments:

Post a Comment