Friday, August 16, 2024

My Predictions For the 2024 Astra TV Awards Conclusion: Limited Series et Al.

 Before we begin a reminder. Unlike the last two years where the Astras divided these awards, like Comedy and Drama, into Broadcast/Cable and Streaming, for reasons unknown they have returned to the format they did in their first year and are giving all Limited Series and TV movies awards in the same categories. However as an acknowledgement of that reality, there are ten nominees in every category.

I’m unsure of the reason – it may have something to do with the work stoppage last year – but I’ll try to modify my predictions accordingly by going into greater detail as to why I’m predicting the winners and what I think will win.

 

BEST LIMITED SERIES

I will admit I would like to see the Astras recognize one of the series the Emmys ignored for Best Limited Series: Fellow Travelers or Apples Never Fall. Both series were exceptional and more than deserved to be nominated. However I believe it will go to one of the five series that were nominated for Best Limited Series.

As I’ve mentioned before I can’t in good conscience vote for True Detective: Night Country considering I refused to acknowledge it for Best Limited Series as an Emmy nominee. I would like to see Fargo win for its triumphant fifth season return but since it wasn’t able to win for Season 4 (credit to the Astras for being the only organization to nominate it in this category) I can’t see it winning. Lessons in Chemistry looms as a dark horse but I think it will come down to one of two Netflix series: Baby Reindeer and Ripley.

I acknowledge that both were works of art, and both series are almost certainly going to be on my ten best of 2024. Both were extremely different variations on the format: Baby Reindeer was a variation of dark comedy mixed with stark drama; Ripley in my opinion reinvented what a crime drama could be capable of. Both featured extraordinary performances by their leading men. Both dealt with sexuality in their own way. Baby Reindeer has a slight edge because it was acknowledged by the TCA earlier this year – but since it won nothing from the Dorians its momentum might be starting to flag. I think it still has enough of an edge to win, but don’t rule out either Ripley or Fellow Travelers pulling out an upset.

 

Should Win: Ripley/Fellow Travelers.

Will Win: Baby Reindeer.

 

I will skip TV movie because I saw none of the nominees.

 

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE

I would be thrilled if Ewan McGregor was able to take home the prize for his exceptional work in A Gentleman in Moscow. However I think it more likely it will go to one of the four actors in this category with a corresponding Emmy nomination. (For reasons I can’t comprehend the Astras ignored Capote Vs. The Swans in favor of shows such as Fall of the House of Usher. Nobody’s perfect.)

Much as I’d like to see Jon Hamm prevail in this category for his superb work on Fargo I think this will come down to one of his three colleagues. Richard Gadd for Baby Reindeer, Matt Bomer for Fellow Travelers and Andrew Scott for Ripley. If you read my article on the Dorians you might know that all three of these men competed in Best Lead in a Drama – and Bomer prevailed. Does that give him an edge? I’m unsure but I will admit he is one of my preferences.

My favorites in this category come down to either Bomer or Scott. It is a tough call but in this case I think Andrew Scott will prevail. He has been gaining momentum in the Emmy odds in Gold Derby (we’ll be covering that soon readers), he’s already given a brilliant movie performance last year in All of Us Strangers that many critics thought deserved an Oscar nomination and I think we’re all still irked that he didn’t even get an Emmy nomination for Fleabag. When you add that his work in Ripley was among the most restrained performances of his long career, I think he’s earned it.

Should Win: Bomer/McGregor.

Will Win: Scott.

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES

Again I’d like to see Annette Bening win for her incredible work in Apples Never Fall, a performance the Emmys ignored. But again, it will likely go to one of the Emmy nominees in this category – and this time there are only three with corresponding nominations: Jodie Foster for True Detective, Brie Larson for Lessons in Chemistry and Juno Temple for Fargo.

There are strong cases to be made for all three. Temple was the only performer in Ted Lasso not to walk away with an Emmy (it seems) and she has been one of the great talents in television for the last few years: her work as the diminutive housewife equivalent of a tiger shows her versatility. Foster was brilliant in her first major role in television in nearly half a century and even if you didn’t like True Detective I acknowledge it was a master class. Larson has received multiple nominations leading up to the Emmys and were it not for the presence of Ali Wong for Beef she would likely have won at least once.

I will acknowledge a preference for Larson because her work in Lessons reminded us of what a great actress we lost when she took on the mantle of the MCU. But I’ll give Foster a slight edge and acknowledge she’s worthy.

Should Win: Bening/Larson.

Will Win: Foster.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE

Here we have some contrasts as there are nominees for two anthologies that weren’t given nominations from the Emmys though they should have. Joe Keery more than deserved recognition for Fargo and both Christopher Eccleston and Finn Bennett were superb in Night Country. And with the absence of Treat Williams (for John Cena? Really?) we have a narrow construct.

Tom Goodman-Hill’s performance in Baby Reindeer was good but not as commanding as the major leads. Lewis Pullman was superb in Lessons but he ended up gone too soon. In my opinion this comes down to two actors: Jonathan Bailey for Fellow Travelers and Robert Downey Jr for The Sympathizer.

Downey’s work was by far the most demanding and worthy but considering that there has not been a lot of corresponding love for it (this is the sole nomination it received) I think Bailey wins this in a walk. And honestly he deserves too. His performance as the innocent who is first led into the web of Hawk’s predatory relation and yet become the person he always wanted to be was a powerful piece of acting. He has already won a prize from the Critics Choice Awards and the Dorians. I think he is headed for an Emmy and I hope this is the shape of things to come.

SHOULD WIN/WILL WIN: Bailey.

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE

Much as I’d like to see either Alison Brie or Mary Elizabeth Winstead win, this will probably go to one of the Emmy nominees. And this time it will take some work because six of the seven nominated performers are here.

Lily Gladstone has little chance given the lack of recognition for Under the Bridge. Dakota Fanning’s work in Ripley may have been too subtle for some to recognize. Kali Reis is a strong contender for her work in True Detective and Aja Naomi King was superb in Lessons in Chemistry – she’s already won some awards. And there is much to recommend both of the performers in Baby Reindeer: Jessica Gunning for her incredible work as the broken Martha and Nava Mau as the transgender woman who becomes involved with Gadd’s character but can’t deal with his problems.

My personal preference would be for King, I thought her work in Lessons was a revelation compared to what I’d seen here do in How To Get Away With Murder. But I’m giving the barest of edges to Gunning, whose currently the frontrunner for the Emmys.

SHOULD WIN: Basically Any of Them.

Will Win: Gunning.

 

BEST DIRECTING IN A LIMITED SERIES

This should go to either Steven Zallian for Ripley or Issa Lopes for True Detective. My personal preference would be Zaillian because I’ve never been so amazed by the magnificence of direction in a very long time. As for writing it will probably go to Issa Lopez for True Detective or Richard Gadd for Baby Reindeer, though I would prefer Fellow Travelers take the prize there.

 

Now I’ll deal with some of the other nominations that I want to weigh in. That means ignoring animation and anime, though in the latter I wouldn’t mind if Scott Pilgrim Takes Off won.

For Best Documentary my preference would be either Albert Brooks: Defending My Life or In Restless Dreams: The Music of Paul Simon. For Game Show, well I think we all know by now. For standup or comedy, I would like to see either Jenny Slate or Tig Notaro win instead of one of the favorites either Dave Chappelle or Ricky Gervais. For Talk Series,  I’d like to see Stephen Colbert win but it might very well go to John Mulaney considering that won at the TCA but wasn’t recognized with a corresponding Emmy nod. For Variety Series or Special,  I’d like to see either Dick Van Dyke or the SAG awards win, if only because it would add variety to the possibility of Saturday Night Live or Last Week Tonight – they’re going to win at the Emmys anyway, let them have this. And when it comes to the Best Saturday Night Live Host – it’s a tough call among the six nominated but I’d like to see Maya Rudolph win over Ryan Gosling.

The Astras will be airing on their YouTube channel Sunday night. I’ll give you the results Monday before I move on to the next step, trying to predict t

No comments:

Post a Comment