Monday, January 22, 2024

Decision 2024, A New Series About What Will NOT Be The Most Important Election Ever, Part 1: Don't Panic

 

Well, we are here. An election year. Shaping up even before the nominations to be decided to be the most polarizing, dirtiest, unpleasant, important and most critical election in the history of the nation since…four years ago. And four years before that. And the one after that will be, though I’m relatively sure both sides of the spectrum have already made it very clear that if the other side wins, it will be the last election our country faces as a democracy.

I have been ever so gingerly the last year weighing in on political issues on my column. I have done so more out of reluctance than anything else. I’ve learned even before I started writing here  that taking any position on the political spectrum will make you a pariah in the eyes of the people who believe just as fervently in the other and that whichever side you take will always be the wrong one, not only in the eyes of the people who disagree with you but increasingly even the ones who should agree with you. This can be clear even when you’re dealing with it on cultural or historical issues; to do in political ones is, well, it’s actually a zero sum gain at best.

But as my readers have slowly but gradually built up over the last couple of years, I have realized something that is wonderful: there is a frustration with the extremism and there is an audience for such ideas as human decency, compromise and civilized discourse. It will never be as large as the ones that have the loudest voices in the room but since they only want to talk to each other anyway, I feel little loss in not having them among my listeners.

And its not like I’d be able to ignore what’s going on in Presidential politics even if I were to write only about pop culture anyway; no matter how much I would like to ignore it, everything has become a political flashpoint the last decade and to pretend it’s going to just go away in films and TV shows that are filming as I write this article would be naïve, something my readers know I am not. Too optimistic, maybe, but I am a realist – something the extremists on both sides of the spectrum I am painfully aware are not.

So what will follow is an occasional series about the political debates that will be intensifying throughout the next year. I should mention much of it is not so much an alternative narrative to what you will hear on cable news, mainstream media, social media and every political fundraising email or text that you’ve been getting and will increase exponentially with each coming today telling you the apocalypse is coming in November unless you vote either for Democrats or Republicans across the board. (I’ve received emails from both parties informing me as such already.) Rather it will tell you some basic truths that both sides need to hear but will never learn because they are so firmly ensconced in their respective bubbles that they consider the slightest variation on their way of thinking as proof that you are either woke or MAGA, depending on who you’re talking to at the time.

This series will have the underlying theme of, though it will not seem so at times, of that old British sign: “Keep calm and carry on.” For as long as I have been able to vote, every campaign season I hear from one or both sides that whoever’s in power will destroy the world as we know if he or she wins or if the other party takes power away or if it regains it. I honestly think that the other side is disappointed beyond belief when the country just keeps functioning.

No I’m not saying things have been fine the last twenty five years – as I said, not naïve. I’m fully aware of how horrible things have been even though I’ve been luckier than most of them. I get it, 9/11, two disastrous wars, the financial crisis that led to what seemed to be an economic collapse, the pandemic, all of the racial strife, all of the examples of gun violence, January 6th,  the Supreme Court’s often foolhardy decisions– I’ve witnessed them. I’m not denying their existence. To be so would be the act of a fool, I’m not one of those. I also know all too well the increasing polarization between are politics, the rise of populism, the rise of hate crimes, the rise of an unwillingness to even talk with another person of a different political party. I get it. Things are shitty. They will get worse before they get better and the idea of it getting better seems impossible.

What I have yet to see during all this is someone writing the obituary for our nation as a democracy. What we have been increasingly reminded of is that old saying: “Eternal vigilance is the prize of liberty.”  How much of today’s problems are due to the fact that for a long time, many Americans just stopped being vigilant is hard to say. There’s just as much a reason that so much of today’s hysteria is an overcorrection and as a result we’re being too vigilant about every single thing that happens. Certainly so much of cable news and social media, which magnifies everything in a way past generations did not have the ability to do, has made it seem that way: the last eight years have certainly amplified that feeling exponentially.

There’s also an argument that so much of that vigilance has increasingly become fragmented based on identity. This website itself makes that argument very clear: there are countless columns at this blog that are directed to bringing ‘into the light’ the offenses very real or perceived that the country and the world have done to those of a different race or gender or sexual preference. I won’t deny these complaints are not warranted given the history of the nation and the world at large  But this vigilance is too frequently melded with a desire to distrust, if not outright hate, ‘the other’ and far too frequently too ignore  them at best and view them as the enemy at worst. I see this all too often in the rhetoric both in the articles and the comments section around them.

And I think a larger problem is the current generation that has been unfairly burdened with many of these issues but whose reaction is to often be resentful that it’s their job to be vigilant now. I’ve covered how the rise of the internet and social media has done much to lead to frustration and impatience among the young who can not understand why great racial and social changes can’t take place as easily as asking for them on Siri. There are other factors involved (I’ll get to them in a different but related series) but they seem irritated that the past does not have the behaviors and norms that they have grown accustomed too. They seem angry and upset that people who are older than them can’t understand things that were invented five minutes ago,  Most of all, democracy takes time, cooperation and is dull when done properly – three things none of today’s youth could tolerate, considering how impatient they are if Netflix doesn’t drop their entire series so they can binge watch it.

One of the biggest talking points by the left, historians, identity groups, journalists has been that the American democratic system is unsuited for today. What they don’t get is that would have been true even if the Founders had done a better job than they had. No one can see the future; all anyone can do is the best they can with the information available and hope it works. Yes they did not think to consider African-American other than as three-fifths a person and had no desire to have women in politics. They also couldn’t have imagined a transcontinental railroad, the automobile, the airplane, radio or television, much less the innovations of the last century. All of these inventions have done as much to lead to the America we have today. You want to blame Jefferson and Franklin for a lot of things, but they didn’t invent Fox News or Twitter.

The democratic experiment has soldiered on through 250 years, through the constant invention, collapse and reformation of political parties, Civil War and World Wars. We were the first democracy to have a Presidential election during wartime and we’ve done it every time since. We’ve had them during economic collapses, we’ve had them after terrorist attacks. We’ve had election where the results were disputed and the courts had to intervene. I realize after January 6th there were no doubt many progressives who would have liked all Republicans to be branded as traitors and have every elected official who challenged the vote locked up without trial. That didn’t happen and I imagine many of them are still bitter that Joe Biden did not do just that. (Trust me, I’ll be dealing with that as some point.) There have been fights for the suffrage for over a century and people have been fighting to vote and just as many want it taken away. That has been going on for two hundred years; I don’t expect to stop any time soon. But no one has ever seriously said we should just stop having elections at all.

The thing that has become harder to deal with in the last decade in particular is increasingly voices on each side will not accept defeat. One side is increasingly unwilling to concede defeat when elections over which is troubling. Equally troubling is those on the other who increasingly argue the only acceptable result is a victory for their side.

If nothing else that is the message I want to try and make the underlying theme for this series: the world will not end if your side loses an election. It may seem this way with each increasing cycle, the rhetoric keeps getting stronger each time out. But the world did not end for Democrats on election night of 2016. I imagine many Americans  - regardless of their party affiliation – were sure it would. But we all got up and kept going. One way or another, people need to understand that the world will keep going no matter who wins on election night this year. I realize many of you do not believe this and will probably tell me so in the comments section. I heard all of those dire predictions leading up to the 2022 midterms – that even if it wasn’t the end, it was the beginning of the end. The general reaction of the left was that you were more disappointed in the results than the Republicans were.

Again I don’t pretend democracy is flourishing, healthy or even in the best shape. But maybe I have more faith in its resilience then the doomcryers, pundits and politicians who can not see beyond the next four years. Or maybe because I’m not secretly rooting for it as it seems so many of those same people actively seem to be. (And yes, I am talking to some of you on this blog.) I don’t pretend there will not be difficult nights ahead tomorrow and next week and next month and all the way to November. I will be worrying along with you much of the way. But I also have just enough faith in the system to know the world won’t come to an end either way.

Oh and one more small thing. I’m also registered to vote and will be voting in this year’s election. Doesn’t seem like much I know but based on the attitudes of many of the loudest voices on this blog, it’s more than most of you are willing to do.

 

 

Next article, I tell you my political leanings. I guarantee you they’re not what most of you have told me they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment