Wednesday, January 10, 2024

My (Attempted) Predictions For the 2024 Critics Choice Awards For TV, Part 1: Drama

 

Those of you who read my blog know how much pleasure I get out of the Critics Choice Awards for TV; an awards show that has a better reputation of leading among shows than following. Much like the Golden Globes, the nominees for television have a solid mix of the year just past and hints of the year to come.

I confess, however, after the near emptiness of Monday’s Astra Awards I have concerns about how many attendees will be at the Critics Choice particularly because the bigger party – the Emmys – is the very next night. I have little doubt all the film people will be there and that many of the major nominees for TV shows of the last six months might be here, but how many nominees for Abbott Elementary or The Crown might show up. I’m inclined to think many will  - the TV nominees have frequently attended relatively soon after the Golden Globes and two years ago, when the ceremonies were scheduled for the same day, they showed up for the Critics Choice instead. Still, I hope many of the winners are here.

In any case, here are my predictions. I will start, as I always do, with Drama

 

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

It’s a given which show is going to win here, and in fact it would be even if it hadn’t won both the Golden Globe and Astra award earlier this week. Succession has always done well at the Critics Choice Awards; it has taken the prize twice already and has been fairly dominant in the acting awards. I see no reason to figure there will be any difference here, though there may be some disagreements with some of the acting awards.

Should Win/Will Win: Succession.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA

Much as I’d like to see Timothy Olyphant or Ramon Rodriguez win here I know who everyone thinks is going to win. It is likely to be Kieran Culkin – he did prevail at the Golden Globes on Monday. But I’m also sensing a bit of momentum for Pedro Pascal for The Last of Us. Pascal did win at the ASTRA’s Monday basically against what was, frankly, a more formidable group of nominees. Also Culkin has won for Succession before and there haven’t been a huge number of winners for the same series over the last fourteen years, certainly not in different categories for the same show.

Ultimately I think Culkin will prevail, but don’t be surprised if Pascal manages to win.

Should Win: Rodriguez.

Will Win: Pascal/Culkin.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

I’ll admit I’d like to Aunjanue Ellis prevail for her work as the cool-on-her-heels defense attorney in Justified: City Primeval. But I think it will come down to one of the two winners in the last few nights: Sarah Snook for Succession or Keri Russell for The Diplomat.

Snook took the Best Actress prize at the Golden Globes and won for Broadcast or Cable at the Astras. Russell prevailed in Best Actress in streaming and the Broadcast Critics may feel they owe her for never giving her a prize for The Americans even though the show itself won three times. Also Snook has won before and might face the possibility of the Critics wanting to share the wealth. I think Snook has enough momentum to carry her, but don’t rule out an upset by Russell.

Should Win: Russell.

Will Win: Snook.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA

This is easy. Matthew MacFayden has already taken Best Supporting Actor in a Drama from the Golden Globes and the Astra’s and in both those cases, there were other nominees from Succession who could have been syphoning off votes. Here he is the sole nominee in the category. Throw in the fact he is one of the only actors in the cast who has never won a prize and there’s no question  he wins.

Should Win/Will Win: MacFayden.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

I’ll admit I want to see Christina Ricci win in this category, but in truth this is an easier pick than MacFayden. Elizabeth Debicki has already won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama and she shared in the Supporting Actress in a Streaming Drama on Monday at the astra. In the former case, she won for Season 6 of The Crown; in the latter for Season Five. I assume she’s been nominated for the final season, and I’m relatively certain that she’ll win easily here too. Don’t worry Christina, you’ll be back.

Should Win: Ricci.

Will Win: Debicki.

 

Tomorrow I move on to Comedy, and there may be some differences from the last week of awards.

 

Addendum: I will get to the SAG nominations at the end of the week. But you’ll permit this.

(Ahem)

 

YES! THEY NOMINATED THE GILDED AGE FOR BEST ENSEMBLE! THE SHOW HAS FINALLY REACHED AWARDS RECOGNITION! I TAKE BACK AT LEAST SIXTY PERCENT OF ALL THE SHIT-TALKING I DID ABOUT  SAG-AFTRA DURING THE STRIKE!

 

Forgive me for getting emotional. It’s just nice to know that sometimes awards show agree with you at them. Don’t worry, Critics Choice you’re still my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment