Thursday, January 11, 2024

My Attempts To The Predict The 2024 Critics Choice Awards For TV, Part 2: Comedy

 

I’m inclined to think the Critics Choice’s nominations for Comedy are better than any of the awards shows that have just passed. They are superior to the Golden Globes because What We Do In The Shadows and Poker Face are nominated for Best Comedy and Ted Lasso isn’t. They are also superior to the Astra Awards because Reservation Dogs is one of the major nominated series and Bridget Everett and Harrison Ford were both nominated for acting awards, none of which the ASTRA managed to do. So what will win? Let me try and predict.

 

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES

The Bear would appear to be the favorite because it swept the Golden Globes on Monday. The thing is while it did well at the Astras, it did not win Best Streaming Comedy. That honor went to Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Abbott Elementary did win Best Comedy series, so it would seem like the Critics might be more inclined to lean its way then they would for the second season of The Bear. Personally I’d like to see Reservation Dogs win because it’s one of the more undervalued series in history – except, of course, from the Critics’ Choice.

It's a tough call, but I’m giving the barest of edges to Abbott Elementary. But that’s just what I hope will win. There are no bad choices.

Should Win: Reservation Dogs.

Will Win: Abbott Elementary (but no bad choices.)

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

I thought that this might be closer but considering that Bill Hader lost Best Actor at  the Astras I think this is the easiest choice of the night. White already won in this category both at the Golden Globes and the Astra’s; he’ll win here no contest. Part of me still hopes Hader pulls it out.

Should Win: Hader.

Will Win: White.

 

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

I won’t lie, I really want Bridget Everett to manage an upset but I’m a realist. It’s going to come down to Quinta Brunson, who took the prize from Astra – and to be clear, has won just about every other prize in the book to this point – and Ayo Edebiri, who took the Golden Globe on Sunday for The Bear. Rachel Brosnahan did manage to take a surprise win from the Astras Monday, but I think she’s a dark horse.

Considering that Brunson was the favorite in this category last year but lost to Jean Smart for Hacks, I’m inclined to think the Critics will make up for it by honoring her this year. Edebiri lost to a nominee from Abbott last year, I think there’s a chance history will repeat itself. I’ll give Brunson the barest of edges but there are no bad options here either.

Should Win: Everett.

Will Win: Brunson.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Tyler James Williams prevailed in this category on Monday but wasn’t even nominated by the Critics Choice awards. James Marsden did win the Astra on Monday, but he’s the only nominee Jury Duty has.

I’ll be honest; my odds-on favorite is Harrison Ford for his incredible work in Shrinking. This category has a history of honoring brilliant character actors; it honored Tony Shalhoub and Henry Winkler (twice) Ebon Moss-Bachrach could manage an upset, but he lost to Marsden on Monday. I’ve giving the barest of edges to Ford.

Should Win: Ford.

Will Win: Ford/Marsden.

 

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Here we have no guidance at all from any of the previous week’s awards. Edebiri won in this category at the Astras, but she’s competing for Best Actress this year. Her co-winner Christina Ricci was not eligible in this category and Danielle Pinnock, who managed a surprise win for Ghosts wasn’t nominated at all. So who will the Critics choose?

Meryl Streep was the heavy favorite to win in this category at the Globes Sunday for her work in Only Murders in the Building. That didn’t happen. She was the heavy favorite the last time she was nominated for a TV role by the Critics Choice. She lost to Jean Smart for Watchmen (which to be fair was actually a good pick). It’s really hard to say that Streep is overdue a win.

I’m going to gamble that it will go to one of the women from Abbott Elementary. This time, I’m going to bet on Janelle James because she’s actually due a win. Still there are no bad choices in this category and I’m absolutely fine with whoever wins.

Should Win: James.

Will Win: They’re all winners.

 

Tomorrow I will finish up with Limited Series/TV Movie awards as well as some of the ephemera. I’m also going to try and predict Best TV Movie this year as many of them have acting nominees in them.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment