One of the great joys for me as a
critic over this past decade has been the rise of the Astra TV Awards. Just as
eclectic as the Critics Choice Awards when it comes to nominations and far more
so when it comes to the actual awards themselves I have always deeply admired
them even though it is frequently difficult for me to watch them. There've been
extenuating circumstances the last three years (though in the last year's case
the error was clearly mine) but this year I intend to watch and celebrate as
much as I predict.
The depth in which they've
evolved with each new year has led to more interesting quirks that I find
entertaining as well as occasionally infuriating but I've always respected them
more for charting their own path. I mean, they're willing to nominate Elsbeth
and Will Trent season after season; how can I not love them?
So I intend to break this down
over three articles leading up to the Astras themselves this Saturday where
hopefully I can see how accurate I am and not really care if I'm wrong.
Let's begin with Comedy.
First of all I need to tell there
are two major omissions in the Astras that you won't see on Emmy night: the
Astras chose to completely shutout Season 4 of The Bear and the current
sensation of audiences and critics alike Widow's Bay.
In the former case the Astras
were absolutely correct and the Emmys were wrong when they gave it the seven
nominations they did. In the latter, well, there's no way to hide this: the
Astras screwed up big time, particularly when they chose to give so much love
to I Love LA. (Their other choices are valid.) On the plus side it will
make for a fascinating group of awards this cycle.
So let's begin.
OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES
On the plus side I think the
omission of Widow's Bay would lead to an easy choice for Best Comedy
Series. Hacks is by far the overwhelming frontrunner to win at the Emmys
and I see no reason it won't prevail here too. I know the Astras does march to
the beat of its own drum so don't rule out Shrinking being an upset but
I think they've got this in the bag.
Should Win/Will Win: Hacks.
BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Well with Matthew Rhys not here
this race is wide open and it’s a big field filled with pretty good choices.
My personal preference would be
for Jason Segel for his incredible work for Shrinking, which is criminal
that it has gone unrecognized to this point. But I think that it's going to go
to one of the men from Only Murders in the Building and having seen
Season Five I'm going with Martin Short.
Should Win: Segel.
Will Win: Short.
BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
I want to assume Jean Smart has
it locked up but last year she lost to Natasha Lyonne for Poker Face who
wasn't even nominated. And in 2022 she lost to Selena Gomez who wasn't
nominated by the Emmys that year.
My personal preference (isn't it
always?) is for Carrie Preston finally nominated in the comedy category. But I
really do want Smart to get everything that's coming to her and that means
taking the prize for the final season of Hacks. As for everybody but Lisa
Kudrow, there's always next year.
SHOULD WIN: Preston/Smart
WILL WIN: Smart.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
I won't lie there are a couple of
nominees I'd like to see prevail. Paul W. Downs is more than worthy for his
work in Hacks. John C. McGinley should really win something and I'm glad
he was nominated for Rooster. And Nick Offerman's work was a masterclass
in Margo's.
But come on, this is Harrison
Ford's the lose for the second straight year. He did win in this category last
year and I missed it so I want to see him get a standing O here.
Should Win/Will Win: Ford.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A
COMEDY
Now Hannah Einbinder has done
well winning the first two Supporting Actress in a Streaming Comedy Awards in
2021 and 2022. And I suspect she'll win the Emmy. But last year when she did
win the Emmy the Astras gave the prize to Catherine O'Hara. So in the case I'm
going to go off the reservation slightly.
It's a formidable group but in my
case it comes down to two choices: Janelle James for Abbott Elementary or
Michelle Pfeiffer for Margo's Got Money Troubles. James did win the
Critics Choice Award earlier this year and she has won before in this category.
My personal preference is Pfeiffer by an eyelash but I'll give the edge to
James.
Should Win: Pfeiffer/James.
Will Win: James.
BEST GUEST ACTOR AND ACTRESS IN A
COMEDY
I've seen the majority of the
nominees in both categories so here are my picks.
I'd personally love to John C.
McGinley win for recreating his iconic Dr. Cox in Scrubs but Michael J.
Fox has this locked up. And I think Kaitlin Olson will finally get what's
coming to her for playing DJ in Hacks.
BEST BROADCAST NETWORK COMEDY
ENSEMBLE
Very tough call. My personal
preference would be Abbott Elementary or Scrubs but I suspect it
will go to Ghosts.
BEST CABLE COMEDY ENSEMBLE
None of the nominees are
nominated in the Emmys so I'll just go with my personal preference The
Lowdown.
BEST STREAMING COMEDY ENSEMBLE
I think Only Murders in the
Building wins this one but don't rule out Hacks pulling it out. Both
have great guest casts.
BEST DIRECTING AND WRITING
I don't know which episodes have
been nominated in each category but for the moment I'm giving the edge to Hacks
in Writing and Abbott for directing. Hacks has always done
very well in the writing category (It's won the last two years) and Abbott
Elementary has done just as well for directing with the Astras.
That's it for comedy. Tomorrow I
take up drama which will be slightly easier and more difficult at the same
time.
No comments:
Post a Comment