In this category the Astras
slightly outshine the Emmys and not just because tomorrow night they'll be
announcing all the winners.
(Yes I'm all too aware of what
the Emmys are planning to do with the majority of the categories in Limited
Series and if they haven't reversed course by the end of the month, I will be
having words. But this is not the time or place.)
As I was saying if you are
willing to show appropriate recognition to Half Man and The
Girlfriend and ignore Ed Gein completely you're doing something
right in my book. That said I'm in a tough position because there is still no
overwhelming frontrunner in almost every single one of these categories after
nearly a year. This allows me to a little bit ambitious in my picks and since
the Astras overwhelmingly dances to its own drum in these categories they could
go out of left field a lot.
So let's do this.
OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES
Miracle of miracles I've actually
seen all six nominees. My personal preference would be either All Her Fault or
Half Man as the former was on my ten best of 2026 and the latter will
be. Now I think All Her Fault is a dark horse but it will come down to Beef
Season 2 and DTF St. Louis.
I'm giving DTF St. Louis a
slight edge. The Astras has always been willing to recognize comic limited
series more than the Emmys are and I think they'll let this play out here.
Should Win: All Her Fault/Half
Man
Will Win: DTF St. Louis (?)
For Best TV Movie I assume this
will got Remarkably Bright Creatures considering its received three
nominations overall.
BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR
TV MOVIE
My personal preference would be
Paul Anthony Kelly or Richard Gadd. Kelly was ignored by Emmys and Gadd is Half
Man's only nominee. But I think this will come down to Oscar Isaac for Beef
and Matthew Rhys for The Beast In Me.
I'm going to go for Rhys for
several reasons. First it was a superb performance. Second he was ignored for Widow's
Bay and I think the Astras will want to atone for that. And third, they've
already given his wife a prize. They should balance it out.
Should Win: Kelly/Gadd.
Will Win: Rhys.
BEST ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES
OR TV MOVIE
All five nominees for the Emmys
are in this category along with Camila Morrone. It is a cutthroat category and
I've seen the four major contenders and I could make a convincing argument for
any of them.
My personal choice is Sarah Snook
for her masterclass in All Her Fault. And she is the only contender with
a prize to her credit: she won in this category at the Critics Choice several
months ago. I could see them doing the same. There's a chance Carey Mulligan
will manage to win for Beef but I think Snook will win by an eyelash.
Should Win: Snook.
Will Win: Snook/Mulligan
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A
LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE
A better category to the Emmys in
many ways. Jake Lacy is my personal favorite but I don't think he has much of a
chance. Second choice would be Jamie Bell and he did win a prize in this
category. I think it will come down to either him or David Harbour for DTF
St. Louis and Harbour also won a prize from the Gotham TV Awards.
Honestly Harbour will be who I
pick for the Emmys this year so I'm more than fine with him winning here.
Should Win: Lacy.
Will Win: Harbour.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A
LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE
Why do you do this to me Astras?
I want Grace Gummer to win for Love Story so badly and I know she won't.
Okay this comes down to one of
two choices: Dakota Fanning for All Her Fault and Linda Cardellini for DTF
St. Louis. Two former child actresses who have yet to receive their due
from any awards circle. Two extraordinary performances as two very different
mothers struggling under circumstances.
My heart says Fanning. My head
and my heart say Cardellini. I'll give it Cardellini by an edge.
Should Win: Fanning/Cardellini.
Will Win: Cardellini.
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A
LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE
Okay this one I'm giving to Beef
given the nature of how it's done.
OUTSTANDING WRITING IN A TV MOVIE
Much as I loved All Her Fault,
DTF ST. Louis absolutely deserves this one.
OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES OR TV
MOVIE ENSEMBLE
The two choices that are here are
All Her Fault or Beef. And while I think All Her Fault had
the best overall performances I have to give the edge to Beef.
I'm going to deal with the
categories I care about and leave the rest alone.
Best Book to Screen Series: My
personal choice would be Margo's Got Money Troubles. That said I have a
feeling that this how the Astras are going to honor Heated Rivalry and I
can live with that.
Best Documentary TV Movie I think
it should go to either Mel Brooks: The 99 Year old Man or My Mom
Jayne.
Best Stand up or Variety Special.
It's time to things started with The Muppet Show.
Best Game Show: either Celebrity
or Pop Culture Jeopardy is more than fine.
Best Talk or Variety show – I
really don't care anymore. They've all used up my patience.
And I will be thrilled to see
William H. Macy and Jason Ritter accepting prizes tomorrow and I'm overjoyed to
see Shawn Hatosy taking yet another trophy.
That's that. Tomorrow I will be
up late watching the Astras and hopefully on Sunday I'll be back with the
results.
We're getting down to the nitty
gritty with the Emmys. Keep watching this space for the predictions themselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment