Sunday, August 16, 2026

I SAW IT THIS TIME! And Other Reactions to the 2026 Astra TV Awards

 

Well before we get started I finally found out what I've been missing the last three years of the Astras.

Not much. Not in terms of the awards: they're still absolutely brilliant. But its basically a meeting in a tent where most of the recipients aren't present. Perhaps its because of the timing, perhaps its because of some kind of controversy, but at this point they've stopped trying to do the Astras as an awards show and are basically making it a testimonial dinner where most of the guests of honor have other plans.

For all know this is what happens with most critics awards groups that don't center their plans around film – perhaps this is what the TCA and the Peabody awards are like if they were televised. Honestly I'm not that upset because I do believe the awards should matter more than the speeches. That said having seen them when they were held in auditoriums I can admit it's somewhat of a shame. Considering how good their track record is as well as their eclectic nature I'm kind of disappointed.

Well let's get on with it. (Sigh.)

Much as I am a fan of the Astras overall I'm also aware of how little real influence they have on what the Emmys will eventually do.  So I think I'll shake it up this time and try to use it as a model going forward. I will look at all three of the categories I will be covering in the Emmys starting on Monday and see how much the winners might or might not either boost or at least foreshadow what the Emmys will do a month from now. And since I'm going to be looking back at previous awards as a metric I'll be taking my own advice.

So let's start with Comedy

 

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES: Hacks

 

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY: Jason Segel, Shrinking

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES: Jean Smart, Hacks

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY: Harrison Ford, Shrinking

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY: Hannah Einbinder, Hacks

 

BEST GUEST ACTOR AND ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Michael J. Fox, Shrinking, Christina Ricci, Wednesday

BEST BROADCAST NETWORK COMEDY ENSEMBLE

St. Denis Medical

 

BEST CABLE COMEDY ENSEMBLE: Rooster

 

BEST STREAMING COMEDY ENSEMBLE: Shrinking

 

BEST DIRECTING IN A COMEDY Hacks

 

BEST WRITING IN A COMEDY: The Comeback

First of all props to the Astras for recognizing St. Denis Medical when the Emmys doesn't.

Now when it comes to Hacks I'm relatively sure the Astras are dead on with their predictions: not only the show but Smart and Einbinder are considered locks. I'm impressed how well Shrinking did here: I expected Ford and Fox to win and I'm glad to see it winning for Jason Segel.

However as I mentioned in my original predictions, there's an elephant not in the room and its Widow's Bay. This is by far the biggest mistake the Astras have made in their brief history because that show is going to be a presence in almost every category Hacks and Shrinking won in. So we're going to be seeing ripple effects in the awards shows that I'll be covering in the final weeks.

 

Now let's look at Drama

 

BEST DRAMA SERIES: The Pitt

 

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: Noah Wyle, The Pitt

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA: Keri Russell, The Diplomat

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA: Patrick Ball, The Pitt

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA: Sepideh Moafi, The Pitt

 

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA: Macaulay Culkin, Fallout

 

OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA: Tai Anderson, The Pitt

 

BEST BROADCAST NETWORK ENSEMBLE: 9-1-1

 

BEST CABLE DRAMA ENSEMBLE: Welcome to Derry

 

BEST STREAMING ENSEMBLE: The Pitt

 

BEST DIRECTING IN A DRAMA: The Pitt

 

BEST WRITING IN A DRAMA: Pluribus

First of all props to the Astras for recognizing Welcome to Derry.

The Pitt's dominance shouldn't really surprise anyone but again one wonders how realistic it will be. For the show itself and Noah Wyle it's a sure thing and it's just as likely for Patrick Ball. However just because Sepideh Moafi won at the Astras doesn't mean she'll win at the Emmys.

Keep in mind that in many of the supporting categories many actors and actresses who were nominated by the Emmys aren't here. In the Supporting Actress category alone Karolina Wydra and Julianne Nicholson were ignored by the Astras and Wydra has gotten her share of nominations elsewhere. And contrarily Jeff Kober, who is the front runner for Guest Actor for The Pitt wasn't nominated at all.

In the case of Keri Russell for The Diplomat, however, it might boost her prospects. Russell did win Outstanding Female Actor in a Drama at SAG-AFTRA earlier this year. That said she's won in this category two years ago and it did nothing to stop Sarah Snook for winning in Succession. And as a reminder Kathy Bates won in this category last year and it ended up going to Britt Lower for Severance.

All in all, it's a mixed bag.

 

Finally Limited Series/TV Movie – and with the Astras this year TV Movie means a lot.

 

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES: Beef

 

OUTSTANDING TV MOVIE: Remarkably Bright Creatures

 

BEST ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE: Oscar Isaac, Beef

 

BEST ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE: Sally Field, Remarkably Bright Creatures

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE: Charles Melton, Beef

 

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE: Linda Cardellini, DTF: St Louis

 

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE: Beef

 

OUTSTANDING WRITING IN A LIMITED SERIES/ TV MOVIE: Bait

 

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES OR TV MOVIE ENSEMBLE: Beef

This will probably help Beef's prospects in some circles but its still not clear how much. The show and Isaac were already frontrunners but one can't tell how much this will help Charles Melton's chances in a category where DTF: St. Louis is the frontrunner. Linda Cardellini was already the front runner for Supporting Actress

Now as for the rest it’s a mixed bag. As great a performer as Sally Field is, no one has won an Emmy of any kind for a performance in a TV movie since 2013.  That's a lot to overcome even for an actress as great as her.  The movie will win no question. And to confirm this the only nomination Bait won in a category which the Emmys didn't nominate it for.

The Astras overall have a good track record in this category but we're not going to see for awhile (and in some cases, perhaps not on Emmy night at all. Sorry I couldn't let that go.)

Outstanding Game Show: Pop Culture Jeopardy

Outstanding Standup Variety Special: The Muppet Show

I just mentioned those two wins because I got them correct. Humble brag.

We're in the final stretch now. Tomorrow I officially start my Emmy predictions for 2026 interspersed with some of the other awards shows in the final weeks leading up to Emmy night on September 14th.

Stay tuned.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment